Thrud gone...

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Thrud gone...

Post by popsical »

Why did Thrud get removed from blood bowl? Was it just CC just denying his use/IP?
Ive still got my old Thrud model and would love to still use him as Thrud not an ogre.

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Thrud gone...

Post by Darkson »

GW didnt have the rights to use him so had to remove him from the game.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

GW are long gone regarding BB, hasnt anyone thought to ask CC if he could returm?

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

And change the perfect game? The BB rulebook is more sacred than the holy book of any of the world religions, as written by nuffle himself.

There could be chaos if anyone dared change a single word.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

If you want Thrud in your games go to Thrudball; Annual charity tourney that includes Thrud :)

The rules for using him can found on the Thrudball website.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

Thrudball is in bognor regis is it not? Its in august normally i recall.
Thats the most local annual tournie to me as i live in mid sussex.
Is there a date set this year?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Not yet, but it's normally near the beginning of August (1st or 2nd weekend) as there's a tournament in Southampton on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

If you have a regular league you can always ask your commissioner to add him back in. It was only IP issues that removed him, not any balance reason.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

Sadly mid sussex is the black hole of miniature wargames and boardgames. Finding a league to enter would be lovely but is unlikely.
There are a couple of historicals groups but else theres nowt that im aware of. :blue:

Would CC object to thrud returning to the blood bowl field? Has any of the powers that be asked?
It would be lovely to get some of that olde style GW character vibe back.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I imagine Frank (Giraffe who runs Thrudbowl) has, as he's in contact with Carl for prizes etc.
But it won't happen for two reasons (1 a maybe, 2 for certain):

1. If Carl did allow it it would dilute any future claim to the Thrud IP he had. Only way it could happen would be if GW licensed it from him, which they've shown no interest in (a minor character for a "dead" game)
2. The rules are fixed. GW no longer promote the game, nor sell it (so they've no reason to license it, as above), and there's no longer a "Rules Committee" to ask Carl for permission (paid or not), there's no centralised group that could add Thrud back in in an official or even quasi-official way.

So to get Thrud back in you're basically waiting on GW to start to support BB again AND for them to feel it's worthwhile them paying to get in a minor character.
There is no other "powers that be".

Best you're going to get is to ask you commissioner (if you have one) or opponent if they're willing to allow Thrud in your game.

popsical
Experienced
Experienced

Post by popsical »

Those two poxy letters "IP" have done more to damage the hobby in the last 20 years than anything else combined.
The pioneering days of the 70's and 80's are long gone and the days of IP terror have come to stay.
Its a sad state of affairs.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by J_Bone »

The league I run lifted the Thrud rules from the Thrudball tournament for a special mini-tournament we ran for all the guys who didn't make the play-offs. The players rolled and randomly got the Squigball or Thrudball rules... People loved it. We used the Heresy 'Dynamic Big Boris' as it is very Thrud-like. If you want to include Thrud in your games I'd suggest something like that! Great fun!

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

popsical wrote:Those two poxy letters "IP" have done more to damage the hobby in the last 20 years than anything else combined.
The pioneering days of the 70's and 80's are long gone and the days of IP terror have come to stay.
Its a sad state of affairs.
Couldn't agree with you more....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"