Are Journeymen inducements?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Are Journeymen inducements?

Post by ChenZhen »

Our league uses option 2 for alternative MVP awarding found on page 34 of the LRB6.

2) At the end of the match, one randomly selected player eligible
to play during this match that was not induced and has not
been removed from the team by death by the end of the
match is awarded a Most Valuable Player award.

We took this to be no MVP on dead players, or on Stars, Mercs, or Journeymen. This was challenged last Game Day. I had always considered them to be inducements (as I figured this was part of the balancing done by promoters to make for more interesting games).

After this was brought up, I realized that they aren't on the list, and taking Journeymen happens during the Post Game (I was doing that wrong, too)!

Anyone know the intent of Journeymen? Inducement, or no?

Thanks!

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Are Journeymen inducements?

Post by Darkson »

Not inducement, as their availability is not tied into the underdog bonus, nor can they be "bought" using treasury.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Thanks for that clarification!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Journeymen can get the MVP for a game.

This happens in Step 1 of the Post-game.

Then in part 6 of Step 2 you have the choice to fire the Journeyman or to hire him on. If you hire him he keeps all his SPPs and any improvement rolls he made.

Journeymen are meant to be a risk to your team to steal your MVPs so that you are encourage to not use them more than you need to.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

That makes sense. I don't know why I had it in my head they were inducements. One of our players pointed this out in the league. We have been playing 3 seasons like that. We have it fixed now. :lol:

Thanks for the insight into why it was made that way. :)

*edit: apparently I can't type today.

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

GalakStarscraper wrote: Journeymen are meant to be a risk to your team to steal your MVPs so that you are encourage to not use them more than you need to.
Not a big deal, actually, because you can hire the journeyman if he gets the MVP.
It would be annoying only if you couldn't hire him.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

So if, for example, you were running out of cash? Which is more likely under the bank system?

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

dode74 wrote:So if, for example, you were running out of cash? Which is more likely under the bank system?
We use the Bank (150k) in T3FL. I've been really happy with how it works over past 3 seasons. You can keep cash on hand (and bloat TV), or cut cash (and run the risk of not being able to pay for replacement for all your killed / maimed players).

I have a dwarf team that had 2 deaths and one niggle in a single game. I was able to buy the two players (with the extra from winnings), but not the third.

This is fairly different than my cyanide teams (where I could re-buy my whole team if needed.

We just started our 4th season (6/8 games left in regular season). It will be interesting to see what difference this makes going forward.