Re-Rolls and Ball and Chain Direction

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Re-Rolls and Ball and Chain Direction

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

I was at a Tournament where they ruled that you could re-roll the random direction that that ball and chain moves. It didn't sit well with me and after reserching it after the torunwamnt I don't see any support for allowing this from the rules. Under Re Rolls is specifically says "may use a team re-roll to any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction," It would seem that pretty definitive that you can not use a Re Roll for the random direction from the ball and chain. Thoughts?

From LRB 6:

TEAM RE-ROLLS
Team re-rolls represent how well trained a team is. A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) made by a player on his own team and who is still on the pitch during their own turn (even if the dice roll was successful). The result of the new roll must be accepted in place of the first, even if it is worse. A coach may not use more than one Re-roll counter per turn, and may not use a Re-roll counter to force the opposing coach to
re-roll a dice roll.

Ball & Chain (Extraordinary)
Players armed with a Ball & Chain can only take Move Actions. To move or Go For It, place the throw-in template over the player facing up or down the pitch or towards either sideline. Then roll a D6 and move the player one square in the indicated direction; no Dodge roll is required if you leave a tackle zone. If this movement takes the player off the pitch, he is beaten up by the crowd in the same manner as a player who has been pushed off the pitch. Repeat this process for each and every square of normal movement the player has. You may then GFI using the same process if you wish. If during his Move Action he would move into an occupied square then the player will throw a block following normal blocking rules against whoever is in that square, friend or foe (and it even ignores Foul Appearance!). A Prone or Stunned player in an occupied square is pushed back and an Armour roll is made to see if he is injured, instead of the block being thrown at him. The player must follow up if he will push back another player, and will then carry on with his move as described above. If the player is ever Knocked Down or Placed Prone, roll immediately for injury (no Armour roll is required). Stunned results for any Injury rolls for the Ball & Chain player are always treated as KO’d. A Ball & Chain player may use the Grab skill (as if a Block Action was being used) with his blocks (if he has learned it!). A Ball & Chain player may never use the Diving Tackle, Frenzy, Kick-Off Return, Leap, Pass Block or Shadowing skills.

Reason: ''
Matt AKA WildManTX (NAF) AKA Nuffle_Hate_Me

T.O. R.O.T. Cup - Austin, Texas USA
http://www.rotcuptx.com
Loki
Legend
Legend

Re: Re-Rolls and Ball and Chain Direction

Post by Loki »

I would say that if that is a House Rule they want to use and someone wants to spend their team re-rolls that way, so be it; but if you are following straight LRB my understanding is you cannot re-roll the fanatics direction.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm not sure, as the scatter in the reroll text refers to the ball or the template. The Fanatics movement is a player event, and those are usually rerollable unless specifically noted otherwise (av/inj roll for example). And the Fanatic text doesn't use any of the words you underlined in the reroll text.

I'd allow it.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

One of the BBRC members (and forum owner...) commented on this previously :

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=29746

Nuffle_Hate_Me
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Nuffle_Hate_Me »

Thanks howlinggriffon, that clarifies it for me.

Matt AKA WildManTX (NAF) AKA Nuffle_Hate_Me

T.O. R.O.T. Cup - Austin, Texas USA
http://www.rotcuptx.com
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Loki wrote:I would say that if that is a House Rule they want to use and someone wants to spend their team re-rolls that way, so be it; but if you are following straight LRB my understanding is you cannot re-roll the fanatics direction.
My misunderstanding then, always good to learn something new! I'll add that to my other Fantic top tip, they can't use their Mighty Blow on a prone player when they move into his square

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.