Diving Catch - 2 players with the skill

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Diving Catch - 2 players with the skill

Post by sann0638 »

Search abilities failing:

If two slann catchers on the same team are adjacent to the ball, I have always played that neither of them can use it, but re-reading the rulebook says that if there are two "attempting" to use it then neither can, which implies that one of them could not attempt to use it and the other could.

Has this been clarified before?

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Diving Catch - 2 players with the skill

Post by Darkson »

Yes, by the rules saying that unless stated, no skill use is mandatory. The rule is written in that way in case of the event of both teams having a DC player in range of the ball.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Darkson wrote:Yes, by the rules saying that unless stated, no skill use is mandatory. The rule is written in that way in case of the event of both teams having a DC player in range of the ball.
+1

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Makes sense, I wonder where I got the clash from.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

Another necro here--anything preventing each of them from using the skill in turn? We know two players can't use it at the same time (preventing opposing teams from fighting over the ball), but do we think that applies to any multiple applications of the skill to the same pass?

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

during kickoff when I am trying to steal the ball from you by kicking it near the LoS and I get lucky and it comes down next to the guy I have on the line
or blitz
or throwins
or "punts"

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Is there a question in there? If you (as the kicking team) use DC with a player in your own half to catch the ball, it's a touchback as the ball has landed in your own half.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Wifflebat wrote:Another necro here--anything preventing each of them from using the skill in turn? We know two players can't use it at the same time (preventing opposing teams from fighting over the ball), but do we think that applies to any multiple applications of the skill to the same pass?
Once a player uses DC it's a failed catch, which means the ball now bounces so the 2nd player can't use DC.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

Darkson wrote:Is there a question in there? If you (as the kicking team) use DC with a player in your own half to catch the ball, it's a touchback as the ball has landed in your own half.
I am trying to find the exact wording but I cannot find my basic rules

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

A kick off must land in the opponent's half of the pitch. Assuming the ball lands in the receiving team's half of the pitch, then it will either land in an empty square or a square occupied by a player. If the ball lands in an empty square, it will bounce one more square. If the ball lands on a square occupied by a player, the player must try to catch the ball. If the ball scatters or bounces off the pitch or into the kicking team's half, the receiving coach is awarded a touchback and must give the ball to any player in their team.
Hmmm
The ball comes down in a square next to the line
A kicking teams player uses diving catch and snags the ball
Because the ball did not scatter or bounce into the kicking team's half it is clearly not a touchback

Hmmm

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

DC means the ball was caught in the DCs square, which means it lands in the kicking teams half which is a touchback. First line you quoted - "must land in the opponent's half" - if you use DC on the line it didn't.

daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

I have to read diving catch again

By definition of kickoff the ball lands in a square occupied by a player they must attempt to catch it

So by that definition the ball "lands" in the empty square next to the line and is either caught by the D.C. Or it bounces
Again unless he fails to catch it and it bounces across the line there is no touchback

I see where you are thinking that the player pulls it to he square and you perceive it "landing" in his square needless to say I do not agree with your precption of the ball "landing"

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Then you can disagree with the FAQ as well:
Q: If a player from your team fails to catch a ball from a kick-off, and the ball
bounces over the line of scrimmage is it a touchback?
A: Yes, any event that causes the ball to go out of bounds or over the line of
scrimmage during a kick-off results in a touchback

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson wrote:A: Yes, any event that causes the ball to go ... over the line of
scrimmage during a kick-off results in a touchback
This

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Question: If the ball is going to land between two pieces on opposing teams that have DC, who decides if they're going to use it first or not? Person 1 might want to use it but person 2 might not. Or vice versa.