Why did Elves evolve to 4 AG across the board?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: Why did Elves evolve to 4 AG across the board?

Post by plasmoid »

So. Elves.
As far as I can tell AG4 isn't so much the problem. At least not at low TV. At low TV the best elves are the ones that have or can get blodge fast.
I'm still tempted - in an environment where bash has been toned down - to split Dodge into 2 skills: The dodge reroll and the defensive one.

Cheers
Martin

Reason: ''
Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Joemanji wrote:Solution is to add two skills :

Agile
This player counts as having an extra point of AG when dodging.

Cool
This player counts as having an extra point of AG for everything except dodging.
Theoreticly, With theese skills added, how would that affect what an elven roster would look like? AG3/Cool across the board?

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Why did Elves evolve to 4 AG across the board?

Post by Shteve0 »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:By the way this is exactly the argument for narrowing the tiers
I don't understand how "narrowing the tiers" or "narrow tiers" is repeatedly taken to mean "narrower gaps between tiers" on these boards.

This is not an argument for narrowing tiers. It's an argument for narrowing the gap between tier 1 and tier 3. Those are totally different things. Please stop conflating the two!

Think about it - if you have three doors in a wall and make the doors narrower (ie narrow the doors), you're not reducing the distance you have to walk between doors 1 and 3.

It's pretty clear to me that NTBB is not in fact about narrowing tiers at all, it's about improving the lower tiers to bring them closer to tier 1.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

adhansa wrote:
Joemanji wrote:...
Theoreticly, With theese skills added, how would that affect what an elven roster would look like? AG3/Cool across the board?
I don't have the 2nd ed rulebook to hand, but weren't some elves better at one thing and some the other? So Dark Elf linemen might be AG3 & Agile, High Elf linemen AG3 & Cool, Wood Elves just AG4. The positionals would be flat AG4 either way.

But ...

I'm not actually advocating these changes as a good idea. They are more a theoretical fix for the problem of lack of gradation on the AG scale. They would also be a really simple way to introduce new teams into the game as it gives a better range of descriptive powers. They also could replace AG boosts on the Improvement table, which I think are a real problem in league BB (I'd also split ST upgrades into offensive and defensive parts).

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

2nd ed elves were all +1/+1 except Throwers who were +2/0 and catchers who were 0/+2.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Is it time for the old d8/d10/d12 argument yet? ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

D7 and a half for me.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

surely it has to be be D20 or above?

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

D16 works with Nuffles sacred number.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

So does a D11, and is closer to it to.

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

I've been playing space hulk: ascension on the PC, and I really think it's a significant improvement on the board game. Lots of the irritatingly stochastic dice mechanics have been replaced by percentages.

Some of the better TFF discussion has been around agility + cool (as Darkson politely suggests), and how the game would be improved with better granularity.

Would be nice if humans were somewhere between elves and orcs in terms of agility, rather than just, well, orcs. I guess that was the big win of block dice in 3rd, lots of granularity, but simple mechanic.

If I were in charge of implementing BB on PC, that's something they could look at. Granularity is too awkward to add to tabletop arguably, but the PC game would make some kind of sense. I doubt hardcore TT players are a large part of the target market... Granularity of AV dice would be nice too. AV7.5 human catchers?? ;)

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

Joemanji wrote: They also could replace AG boosts on the Improvement table, which I think are a real problem in league BB (I'd also split ST upgrades into offensive and defensive parts).
Agreed, Orcs, Lizards in particular are entirely different teams with an AG boost.

Glicko guy.
Team England committee member
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd be quite happy if BB had moved from D6 to D8 (or higher), but I think it would need a new edition, not just a tweaking of what we have, and given the current state of GW towards BB that's never going to happen. Just forcing D8s etc into the current rules isn't going to work, and would lead to tweaks needed here, there and everywhere. A game built from the ground up though...

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson wrote:So does a D11, and is closer to it to.
I make a D11. :D

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

I see it all now. BBRC gets reformed, Galak takes the lead and changes the rules so that D11s are used for everything. Crafty.