[LRB6] Pass Block, Leap, Dump-Off and rule clarification

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Choux
Rookie
Rookie

[LRB6] Pass Block, Leap, Dump-Off and rule clarification

Post by Choux »

Hello again :)

I was looking through the Pass Block skill trying to understand what does declaring Pass Block on a Dump off imply.

As i understand the Pass Block description you are allowed to use your Leap skill in order to get to a legal position after declaring Pass Block.
Also you are allowed to declare Pass Block on a Dump Off pass, therefore during your turn.
And finally the three square move while Pass Blocking is free "The special move is free, and in no way affects the player’s ability to move in a subsequent Action.".

So, does that mean that i can declare a Pass Block on a Dump off pass (so on my own turn), use Leap to get to a legal position (eventually intercepting the ball), then resolve the block and use the Pass Block player's Leap once again in the same turn ?

PS: Can I declare several Pass Block on a same Pass ?

Thanks

Choux

Reason: ''
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: [LRB6] Pass Block, Leap, Dump-Off and rule clarification

Post by Regash »

CRP rules wrote:Pass Block (General)
A player with this skill is allowed to move up to three squares when the opposing coach announces that one of his players is going to pass the ball (but not a bomb). The opposing coach may not change his mind about passing once Pass Block's use is declared. The move is made out of sequence, after the range has been measured, but before any interception attempts have been made. A player may not make the move unless able to reach a legal destination and may not follow a route that would not allow them to reach a legal destination. A legal destination puts the player in a position to attempt an interception, an empty square that is the target of the pass, or with his tackle zone on the thrower or catcher. The player may not stop moving until he has reached a legal destination, has been held fast by Tentacles or has been Knocked Down. The special move is free, and in no way affects the player’s ability to move in a subsequent Action. The move is made using all of the normal rules and skills (for example, having to dodge in order to leave opposing players’ tackle zones.) Players with Pass Block may use this skill against a Dump Off pass. If a player performing a Pass Block in their own turn is Knocked Down then this is a turnover, no other players may perform Pass Block moves, and your turn ends as soon as the results of the pass and the block are resolved.
So much for the original rulebook text.

Yes, you may use any skill, including Leap, to get to that legal position. Since Leap takes two squares, you'll only have one square to move before or after leaping.

As it says "Players with Pass Block may use this skill against a DumpOff pass. If a player performing a Pass Block in their own turn..." I think, yes, you may Pass Block during your own turn.

The last question is not so easily answered as the description to Leap clearly states that it can only be used once per turn. I personally would say yes, you can use the Leap skill while pass blocking and then use it again in the players "real" turn, just because of the "special move" phrase. The special move is not that players turn.
If your opponent dumps-off the ball, you may leap to an intercept position, intercept the ball, and then leap again to get away with it, at least as far as i understand it.

If I got this right, the last few sentences state that only if you pass block in your own turn and end up with a turnover, no other players may perform pass block moves. This should mean that, yes, while everyone is still standing, you may get more than one pass blocker on his way. But still, you can only try one interception.

This is mostly just my opinion and understanding of the text. It's free for discussion.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash

Post by Regash »

Your link is password protected, Shteve0! :orc:

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Ah, apologies. Just a similar example - like something from the matrix :)

My interpretation:

You can use the pass block, but not with the player who throws the block (see question 7 in the CRP Q&a).

Yes, you can move as many players who have pass block as you like.

I would rule that no, you can't use the leap a second time in the same turn; just as you can't use dodge twice. The wording of "per turn" is very clear, and despite the pass block being a free move it still takes place within the active turn.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash

Post by Regash »

Skill description 'Pass Block' wrote:The special move is free, and in no way affects the player’s ability to move in a subsequent Action.
I think this is why I believe you still could use Leap a second time.

Let others throw their opinion in as well! :D

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm with Shteveo - the bit you've inked just means a player has their full MA allowance to, not that it "resets" any skills they may have used.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

Okay, that sounds kind of reasonable... :o

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Does it? Is Leap not part of the (in no way affected) move? The passblock movement is "out of sequence", thus, not in anybody's turn. Also, the next movement is a "subsequent action"

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Leap is a skill, not "part of a move".

Regash

Post by Regash »

But you could argue that the skill Leap is used to move the player.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Without leap he still has his full ability to move, does he not?

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Had a look back at the question and I had definitely the decisive part. Your answer is right, no question. The arguments on the table are not very satisfying though.

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Perhaps this is a more satisfying explanation?
Pass Block (General)
A player with this skill is allowed to move up to three squares when the opposing coach announces that one of his players is going to pass the ball (but not a bomb). The opposing coach may not change his mind about passing once Pass Block's use is declared. The move is made out of sequence, after the range has been measured, but before any interception attempts have been made. A player may not make the move unless able to reach a legal destination and may not follow a route that would not allow them to reach a legal destination. A legal destination puts the player in a position to attempt an interception, an empty square that is the target of the pass, or with his tackle zone on the thrower or catcher. The player may not stop moving until he has reached a legal destination, has been held fast by Tentacles or has been Knocked Down. The special move is free, and in no way affects the player’s ability to move in a subsequent Action. The move is made using all of the normal rules and skills (for example, having to dodge in order to leave opposing players’ tackle zones.) Players with Pass Block may use this skill against a Dump Off pass. If a player performing a Pass Block in their own turn is Knocked Down then this is a turnover, no other players may perform Pass Block moves, and your turn ends as soon as the results of the pass and the block are resolved.
That you can use the pass block on your own turn, but if you fall over in doing so, it causes a turnover; and that other clauses within the skill itself make it clear that it doesn't affect the player's ability to move in a subsequent action; suggest that the pass block move takes place within the current turn, not outside of its normal boundaries. Given that the skills (dodge, leap) indicate they can be used only once within a turn, and there's no overriding clause occurring within the pass block wording, their normal restrictions apply - they can be used only once during a team turn.

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

A player may only use the Leap skill once per turn.
Not once per action or pseudo-action. I guess that's it.