Help me understand Throw Teammate

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Help me understand Throw Teammate

Post by Sword of Solkan »

Hi chaps,

Let’s imagine you’re rolling for an Ogre to throw a Snotling – is this what you’d need to do?

1. Roll to see whether the Ogre goes Boneheaded (2+)
2. Roll for the Ogre to throw the Snotling. This can’t be an accurate pass, so he just needs to avoid a Fumble. He’ll fumble on a roll of 1-2 (-1 for Throw Teammate, +0 for the Short Pass). The Snotling needs to make an Agility check to land if the Ogre fumbles, and needs to make an Armour check if this fails. Failing the Agility check only causes a turnover if the Snotling’s holding the ball.
3. Roll for the Snotling to scatter three times.
4. If the Snotling lands in an empty square then he needs to make an Agility check. This will be 4+, with a -1 penalty for each tackle zone he’s in.
5. If the Snotling lands on another player then he needs to take an Armour check – does the other guy take an armour check as well?

Reason: ''
The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Help me understand Throw Teammate

Post by Regash »

Numbers 1 to 4 are correct, as far as I can see.
About the player landed on, it's all in the skill description:
CRP - Throw Team-Mate skill description wrote:Throw Team-Mate (Extraordinary)
A player with this skill has the ability to throw a player from the same team instead of the ball! (This includes the ball if the player thrown already has it!) The throwing player must end the movement of his Pass Action standing next to the intended team-mate to be thrown, who must have the Right Stuff skill and be standing. The pass is worked out exactly the same as if the player with Throw Team-Mate was passing a ball, except the player must subtract 1 from the D6 roll when he passes the player, fumbles are not automatically turnovers, and Long Pass or Long Bomb range passes are not possible. In addition, accurate passes are treated instead as inaccurate passes thus scattering the thrown player three times as players are heavier and harder to pass than a ball. The thrown player cannot be intercepted. A fumbled team-mate will land in the square he originally occupied. If the thrown player scatters off the pitch, he is beaten up by the crowd in the same manner as a player who has been pushed off the pitch. If the final square he scatters into is occupied by another player, treat the player landed on as Knocked Down and roll for Armour (even if already Prone or Stunned), and then the player being thrown will scatter one more square. If the thrown player would land on another player, continue to scatter the thrown player until he ends up in an empty square or off the pitch (i.e., he cannot land on more than one player). See the Right Stuff entry to see if the player lands on his feet or head-down in a crumpled heap!
Does that help?
And no, the thrown player doesn't get any SPP for an injury caused by landing on the other player.
CRP - How to earn SPP wrote:Casualties (CAS):
If a player causes an opposing player to be removed as a Casualty then they earn 2 Star Player points. The points are only earned if the player blocks an opponent or is blocked by an opponent himself. Casualties inflicted in any other way (including injuries inflicted by the crowd or from attacks with chainsaws, bombs, or the Stab skill) do not count for Star Player points.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Sword of Solkan
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sword of Solkan »

That's helpful - thanks.

The Audacity of Hop [Slann] - 3/1/1 (W/L/D)
Toffer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Toffer »

Looks good to me.

Check out this discussion http://bbtactics.com/forum/threads/skil ... mmate.682/

it talks about how Strong Arm, Pass, Accurate and Nerves of Steel can affect TTM. This is the summary that maxcarrion gives.

Agility - no effect
Strong arm - reduces the chance of a modified fumble on a short pass by 1
Accurate - reduces the chance of a modified fumble on all passes by 1
NOS - reduces the chance of a fumbled pass by the number of opposing tackle zones
Pass - rerolls a fumbled pass - in most cases your best bet as it has more effect against 2+ and 3+, the normal rolls to avoid fumbles
Pro - While it's half as good as pass for throwing team mates it's a genuinely useful skill when not passing too, especially for big guys making all those really stupid checks, so if that's the way you want to go this would be my first pick

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Just to spell it out - in step 5 the player landed ON takes an armour check (NOT the snotling). Then you continue to scatter the snotling until they find an empty square, when he has an agility test to land

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash

Re:

Post by Regash »

Shteve0 wrote:the player landed ON takes an armour check (NOT the snotling)
Well, they BOTH have to make armor rolls as the snot didn't land on his feet and the other player was hit in the face with a snotlings butt! :orc:

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

That's incorrect. The snotling only takes the armour roll if the subsequently fails a landing roll later in the turn.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash

Post by Regash »

Then we handled this wrong, assuming that landing on a player makes you automatically fail to land.
Assuming that the impact alone would be enough to cause harm to the thrown player.

I will delve into the rules and counter-check...

Edit: I knew it!
CRP skill description wrote:Right Stuff (Extraordinary)
A player with the Right Stuff skill can be thrown by another player from his team who has the Throw Team-Mate skill. See the Throw Team-Mate skill entry below for details of how the player is thrown. When a player with this skill is thrown or fumbled and ends up in an unoccupied square, he must make a landing roll unless he landed on another player during the throw. A landing roll is an Agility roll with a -1 modifier for each opposing player’s tackle zone on the square he lands in. If he passes the roll he lands on his feet. If the landing roll is failed or he landed on another player during the throw he is Placed Prone and must pass an Armour roll to avoid injury. If the player is not injured during his landing he may take an Action later this turn if he has not already done so. A failed landing roll or landing in the crowd does not cause a turnover, unless he was holding the ball.
So, no matter what, BOTH players have to make armor rolls and the thrown player can't make a landing roll.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re:

Post by Pedda »

Shteve0 wrote:Just to spell it out - in step 5 the player landed ON takes an armour check (NOT the snotling). Then you continue to scatter the snotling until they find an empty square, when he has an agility test to land
No, the snotling is placed prone and has to take an armour check as per the rules under right stuff (my highlights)
Right Stuff (Extraordinary)
A player with the Right Stuff skill can be thrown by another player from
his team who has the Throw Team-Mate skill. See the Throw Team-Mate
skill entry below for details of how the player is thrown. When a player
with this skill is thrown or fumbled and ends up in an unoccupied square,
he must make a landing roll unless he landed on another player during
the throw. A landing roll is an Agility roll with a -1 modifier for each
opposing player’s tackle zone on the square he lands in. If he passes the
roll he lands on his feet. If the landing roll is failed or he landed on
another player during the throw he is Placed Prone and must pass an
Armour roll to avoid injury.
If the player is not injured during his landing
he may take an Action later this turn if he has not already done so. A
failed landing roll or landing in the crowd does not cause a turnover,
unless he was holding the ball.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Yep, fair enough. That's a misreading of the last line of TTM on my part it seems. Apologies!

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Re:

Post by Pedda »

Shteve0 wrote:Yep, fair enough. That's a misreading of the last line of TTM on my part it seems. Apologies!
No, if you just read the TTM rule, you're right. The tricky part is that this part of the process is described in another skill, right stuff

Regash

Post by Regash »

But the TTM skill description does say to check the Right Stuff skill description for landing.
Otherwise, I wouldn't have found it so quick.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

The order of the wording implies that the same rules apply to landing when you hit something as when you don't. That's not the case. The possibility that they would land on their feet is removed in the clause before, hence the confusion.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Anything I need to add to the link above?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler