Why are mercenaries +30K?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Why are mercenaries +30K?

Post by harvestmouse »

Because they're so broken, that Cyanide want to remove any skilled Merc players from the game. Personally I think the OP has a point to a degree. I think they are too expensive. But also see Galak's point that they shouldn't in anyway be used instead of buying and skilling players.

The last example...I loath leader outside of resurrection. I'd like it to be removed from the progressive environment altogether.

Reason: ''
PercyTheTroll
Veteran
Veteran

Post by PercyTheTroll »

I wouldn't want to lose Leader in a progression setting, the fluff works fine and like many skills it's better on some teams than others. I would like it to not be available to Loner players though. If you're leading a team you're not so unused to the team that you can't use rerolls.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

harvestmouse wrote:Because they're so broken, that Cyanide want to remove any skilled Merc players from the game.
Broken? Laughable.
That been the reason Cyanide haven't included them? Even more laughable. Incompetence is much more likely.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I understand the argument that you can customize mercenaries with relevant skills. It could be argued, however, that the value is then on the skill (which you are already paying 50k for instead of 20k on a normal player) and not on the player. As I see it, the extra cost (or at least some of it) could then be added to the skill and removed from the player. Thus, making it easy for underdogs to buy some extra bench but keeping it costly to specialize players for a specific match, or?

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857
Kadrin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Kadrin »

el Superbeasto wrote:Thanks for the replies, everyone.
I understand the argument that you can customize mercenaries with relevant skills. It could be argued, however, that the value is then on the skill (which you are already paying 50k for instead of 20k on a normal player) and not on the player. As I see it, the extra cost (or at least some of it) could then be added to the skill and removed from the player. Thus, making it easy for underdogs to buy some extra bench but keeping it costly to specialize players for a specific match, or?
I like this idea!

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Raveen wrote:I wouldn't want to lose Leader in a progression setting, the fluff works fine and like many skills it's better on some teams than others. I would like it to not be available to Loner players though. If you're leading a team you're not so unused to the team that you can't use rerolls.
The fluff works fine, the implementation doesn't. It basically is a way to save TV, and thus just used for this use (rather than buying a RR). If Leader worked slightly differently (personal RR for that player maybe or pro style team RR) then yeah fine.

zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

You could always regard the 30K as danger money you have to pay them. After all they will probably always be exposed a lot, after all we would rather the merc loner get hit by the POMB beast that our favourite player.

el Superbeasto
Super Star
Super Star

Post by el Superbeasto »

zulu wrote:You could always regard the 30K as danger money you have to pay them. After all they will probably always be exposed a lot, after all we would rather the merc loner get hit by the POMB beast that our favourite player.
True, but there's also the "danger" of the merc making a cas and getting the mvp. ;)

My sales thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42857