Blitzing a space with the ball - order of operations

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Blitzing a space with the ball - order of operations

Post by celticgriffon »

Hi everyone,

A coach gave me a call earlier today as they had an in-game question.

They declared a blitz action but the only place they could do the blitz was from the space which held a ball (stationary on the pitch).

The coach wanted to know if he could throw the bltiz first then grab the ball, or if he had to grab the ball before throwing block dice.

Looking at the rules it does say a player which moves onto a space with the ball MUST pick up the ball and then can carry on.

My intuition says the pick up roll has to be made first. But I can see logic behind throwing the block, and then picking up the ball and then carrying on with the follow through if required (frenzy for example).

I would love to get an official ruling. I told the player they had to attempt the pick up first, but I would like to know for future reference.

Cheers,
Michael

Reason: ''
If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Pick up first, yep, for the reason you've given - he enters the square and must therefore attempt topick up the ball before declaring the block element of the blitz action.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Blitzing a space with the ball - order of operations

Post by Darkson »

Pick up first.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spleggy
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Blitzing a space with the ball - order of operations

Post by spleggy »

pick up first

remember that failing a pick up is always a turnover, so the would-be blitzer might well not get to make the actual block (especially considering the ball would likely be in one or more opposing tackle zones!)

=====
spleggy
WYBBL head TO