Pass then move (it's the Liverpool groove)

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Pass then move (it's the Liverpool groove)

Post by sann0638 »

Anyone ever considered the impact of allowing a pass then move, or move pass move, similar to blitzing? Doesn't seem especially broken to me.

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Re: Pass then move (it's the Liverpool groove)

Post by frogboy »

Funny you say that, I was thinking of changes to the rules last night, I'm thinking what might happen or if I could re-write the rules.

The biggest thing I think which annoys frustrates and ruins the game for me is the turn over. I was thinking of something similar, but allowing all positionals to have some bonus like all blitzers can move if 1 is attempting to blitz or somehow catchers and throwers could somehow communicate. But in the end I figured that I'd need more than 5 minuites to think about it.

The one rule I would change though is picking up the ball. Pick up a ball without rolling a dice :o if the ball is not in a tackle zone it's not moving its just there on the floor. Pick it up, how can anyone fail that, it's so frustrating failing it. Perhaps give a skill which allows auto pick up if ball is in the open.

I think move pass move could work ok, passing is rarely seen in tournaments, people are just so obsessed in minimising dice rolls that the passing game is pretty much dead. Any of the options to improve passing would be good only problem I see is that it would mainly only benefit the teams which already dominate the game. Making it even harder for bash teams to win games. Tackle skill needs to be better or another skill like prehensile tail which is open to any team that can stack with tackle would be good.

Also while we're at it lets get rid of negative traits on Big Guys :orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

frogboy wrote:The one rule I would change though is picking up the ball. Pick up a ball without rolling a dice :o if the ball is not in a tackle zone it's not moving its just there on the floor. Pick it up, how can anyone fail that, it's so frustrating failing it.
Think about it like if you're trying to pick it up while running by. Just try for yourself to pick something from the ground while you hurry past. Doesn't sound so easy anymore, does it? I think this rule is absolutely okay.
Look at American Football, even the snap does go wrong from time to time and the mayhem after a fumble speaks for itself.

For the fact that a pass ends the action of the player, I think it's because aiming and throwing does cost time. Compared to a blitz, when you basically strike while running by, it's definitely more time consuming. I'm not very fond of house rules or rule changes but maybe a Pass should not stop you from moving afterwards but cost you 2 squares of movement to show how passing slows you down, just like blitzing where the hit costs 1 square. So you still can decide when to pass in your movement, although a failed pass should still stop your action immediately.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yeah, not a fan of house rules either. Just chewing the fat. :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Regash

Post by Regash »

And since you brought up the topic, Mr. President, how do you like the idea of movement cost for passing? :wink:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There was either a skill for that in the MBBL2, or it was discussed ("Scramble"?).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

sann0638 wrote:Yeah, not a fan of house rules either. Just chewing the fat. :D
Or you could break out a different FF game that allowed it. :wink:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

SannBowl :D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
besters

Post by besters »

sann0638 wrote:Anyone ever considered the impact of allowing a pass then move, or move pass move, similar to blitzing? Doesn't seem especially broken to me.
I think you wil find it changes the game considerably. Not to say it's broken, but it will potentially change the dynamic in favour of the offense.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Not sure I like it. Passing, while very risky, often has the potential to completely change the field position like no other action in the game. Being able to markup an opponent after passing the ball makes the reward even better, but it doesn't reduce the risk of play(the real problem of passing in Blood Bowl).

It's a change in which I don't see a benefit to the game.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

besters wrote: I think you wil find it changes the game considerably. Not to say it's broken, but it will potentially change the dynamic in favour of the offense.
Sounds like a good thing to me.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

When I read this I immediately thought of Elves passing and then moving further to screen, but guess it could also work for all races. Anything that allows the ball to be even further protected is a move for the worse imho.

Cages are boring. Effective yet boring. Making it easier to get into them? No thanks :)

besters

Post by besters »

Itchen Masack wrote:When I read this I immediately thought of Elves passing and then moving further to screen, but guess it could also work for all races. Anything that allows the ball to be even further protected is a move for the worse imho.

Cages are boring. Effective yet boring. Making it easier to get into them? No thanks :)
Pretty much my thoughts.

besters

Post by besters »

lunchmoney wrote:
besters wrote: I think you wil find it changes the game considerably. Not to say it's broken, but it will potentially change the dynamic in favour of the offense.
Sounds like a good thing to me.
It might be but I don't think so. When I started playing the offense was completely dominant, the longer I play the balance has been reversed, but I don't think I would want offense to be improved.

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

Post by birdman37 »

Regash wrote:
frogboy wrote:The one rule I would change though is picking up the ball. Pick up a ball without rolling a dice :o if the ball is not in a tackle zone it's not moving its just there on the floor. Pick it up, how can anyone fail that, it's so frustrating failing it.
Think about it like if you're trying to pick it up while running by. Just try for yourself to pick something from the ground while you hurry past. Doesn't sound so easy anymore, does it? I think this rule is absolutely okay.
Look at American Football, even the snap does go wrong from time to time and the mayhem after a fumble speaks for itself.
Yep, agree with that.
Here, jog past and and scoop this up. How can anyone fail that? Easily... :)