Why do LRB big guy star players have no negative traits?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Darkson wrote:
Toby wrote:The Fact that Stars were allowed in 2 Blood Bowl Tournaments so far tells me that I am not the only one who likes the idea of special characters.
And after a vote conducted by JJ among the coaches after this years tourney, they're probably not going to be allowed next year.
Or ... we'll see Chet and I have talked about this and I've also talked with Andy Hall about the system that we are trying at the GenCon Bowl.

Where Stars cost their LRB price + (their LRB over 100k if any) ... ie Griff costs 260k, and Stars are ringers so as such they cannot use team rerolls.

I think I'll still see a team or two with Griff, but I'm betting that the stars will be a very much balanced part of the tournament instead of required as they were for the Blood Bowl. If it works ... chance it could be used next for the BB tournament.

Galak

Reason: ''
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I'd rather not see stars at all.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

When I first started playing Warhammer, years ago, I was really fond of Special Characters (I played Dwarfs, btw) and also included at least a few of them in my Armies.
Later, however, I thought about it more and more, and I started to prefer having my own Characters carve out their own history.

Unfortunately, Warhammer does not allow evolution of Characters.

BB does, it does so very well! Although ageing has limited this part of the game quite a lot :( .

In one-off BB games, Starplayers are a great way of getting some experience into your team. In league games own characters/starplayers can be evolved, which should give much more sattisfaction!

Tournaments are somewhere in between these two "playing styles" but i'd prefer a Tournament with no stars whatsoever, since when stars are present, they usually dominate the game way too much.

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

In our league, we layed the first season with SP allowed. It turned out that it wasn't that fun.

On the second season, we went LRB style. 7 teams played 12 games, semis and finals and we saw only 2 SP freebooted, bith in the playoffs. I first freebooted Zzargh for the semis because I had 2 CD missing that game and another one with a Niggling. I didn't want him to shoot the ball, I wanted another CD on the line and didn't have enough $ for Hrthark, which would have been my first pick.

Then in the finals, the Dwarven coach hired the Deathroller, whom my Dauntless CD got rid on my very first turned, after the DR stunned the incredible amount of 1 player!

Are they useful ? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Are they fun ? I think so, because in both cases, it was a surprise for the other coach and disrupted their strategy for the game. I think the LRB system works fine for a league, maybe not for tourney.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

Toby wrote:And what exactly do you know ?
:o :o :o
Exactly, Zombie, who are you anyhow? What do you know? Finally somebody has pointed it out, hehe!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:smoking:
And there is the understanding that Stars are to powerful so peoples first and smartest reaction (appart from this board) is "ok, lets make them less powerfull".
Or skip them altogether for good.
he Fact that Stars were allowed in 2 Blood Bowl Tournaments so far tells me that I am not the only one who likes the idea of special characters.
Exactly. JJ likes the idea of SPs as well. Though you would appear to be the only two, actually! :wink:
Nah, the overwhelming majority of the coaches rejected the idea of Star Players at the last BB-Tournament.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Well, during our blood bowl championship series, I hired both Griff and Luthor to punch through a lizardman team and make it to the final game. Star Players can make a huge impact on the outcome of a game, and you really do have to think about how they will change the way the big games are played.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mirascael wrote:
he Fact that Stars were allowed in 2 Blood Bowl Tournaments so far tells me that I am not the only one who likes the idea of special characters.
Exactly. JJ likes the idea of SPs as well. Though you would appear to be the only two, actually! :wink:
Nah, the overwhelming majority of the coaches rejected the idea of Star Players at the last BB-Tournament.
As I'm presuming Toby wasn't at The Blood Bowl - JJ at the end had a straw poll to find out what people wanted. His first question was "do you want Stars". The overwhelming majority didn't. I think JJ was a bit surprised at this.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

I guess JJ doesn't read these threads then... :D

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Mirascael wrote:
Toby wrote:And what exactly do you know ?
:o :o :o
Exactly, Zombie, who are you anyhow? What do you know? Finally somebody has pointed it out, hehe!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:smoking:
You do know that you weren't replying to Zombie, don't you? :wink: :lol:

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

ianwilliams wrote:I'd rather not see stars at all.
See ... I think I disagree. If my opponent at the GenCon Bowl spends 260k to have Griff, a star player unable to use team rerolls. Then I'm pretty happy to see that. That means it put more than 25% of his team resources into ONE player.

I think I'd rather look forward to that game ... because I'd take the bet that my team can take a Human team that sacrificed so much for that Star.

Like I said ... I'll see. If it doesn't work. I promise to be the first to say ... damn ... we should just ban stars altogether from tournaments.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd be happier to see stars using the gencon rules than the BB rules in a tourney, still happy to go without though.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.