Why do LRB big guy star players have no negative traits?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

wesleytj
Legend
Legend

Post by wesleytj »

GalakStarscraper wrote: Since they are only freebooted now ... I don't think you'll have to worry much. My league has yet to see a star freebooted.

My league just finished its 9th round (about 150 matches played) and while we've had a ton of freebooted rookie players for games ... no stars have been freebooted to date, and only 2 wizards.

Galak
The only exception to that for us is the goblin stars...we have a goblin player that will freeboot some stars now and then. But that's fine since they aren't really stars anyway, just vehicles for their secret weapons. And to me that's the whole fun of playing gobbos. And nobody complains about them being unbalancing or anything either. :)

Reason: ''
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Zombie wrote:That's because of the format of your league. In my league, freebooting star players for the finals and semi-finals has become such a big issue now (everybody does it) that i'm considering banning star players altogether.
According to LRB 2.0, pg 42 - "Star players may only be hired as freebooters when playing league games". To my mind this prohibits them from playing in tournaments altogether.

Kri
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Kri »

In our League (250 games) it happens every now and then especially in finals and important games. But not as much as it has become a problem.

nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Here is a 'HOUSE RULE' we use that might make you feel like your 'BIG GUYS' are as good as you want them to be...

Whne rolling for SPP advancement... if you get a 'HARD 8' (Double 4s) Instead of taking a skill as normal, you may:

*Remove a Negative Skill or trait (bonehead, wild animal, always hungry, take root... whatever)
*Remove a Niggling injury
*Regain a lost stat point due to Injury
*Lower one stat to raise another (IE: lose one movement to gain one strength or lose one armor to gain one agility)
*Give up one catergory of skills to take another (Give up strngth for passing)

Also... you may ONLY do this ONCE in your players career... so you can't be ultra lucky and do this multiple times.

This has allowed 'really extraordinary players' to appear but very rarley... As an ork player it allows me to have blitzers with agility catergory or ogres without bonehead.

So you have the ability to dump negative traits... this is what we use...

Vargtass
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Vargtass »

Nice touch, nkelsch!

I feel there are some discontent with the current aging rules. I am curious if you feel that this system helps to balancing the feelings of injusties concerning aging players?

Vargtass

Watch the lizard with the crimson veil ...
nkelsch
Rookie
Rookie

Post by nkelsch »

Yeah, we use a special aging table...

Aging is NOT always a bad thing, it sometimes makes the player more experienced...

Roll a D66.

11 "Weak" +1 to be Injured
12 "Slow" -1 to all Dodge attempts
13 "Bad Eyes" -1 to all Pass attempts
14 "Clumsy" -1 to all Catch attempts
15 "Poor Stamina" Go For It on 3+
16 "Bad Hip" -1 to all Kick attempts
21 "Soft" Player will never Foul
22 "Lazy" treat as Take Root
23 "A Drunk" treat as Bonehead
24 Niggling Injury
25 Niggling Injury
26 Niggling Injury
31 Niggling Injury
32 Niggling Injury
33 Niggling Injury
34 Niggling Injury
35 Niggling Injury
36 Niggling Injury
41 "Dick" Won't take the pitch with one Random player. Roll each game.
42 Adds $50,000 to cost for TR
43 Adds $40,000 to cost for TR
44 Adds $30,000 to cost for TR
45 Adds $20,000 to cost for TR
46 Adds $10,000 to cost for TR
51 "Crowd Pleaser" +1 Cheerleader
52 "Entertainer" +2 Cheerleaders
53 Player can "Teach" +1 Asst. Coach
54 Player gets a "Following" +1 FF
55 Player gets a "Large Following" +2 FF
56 "Smooth" +1 to Pickup Ball
61 "Natural" +1 to Catch Bouncing Ball
62 "Foresight" +1 to Interception
63 "Respect" No asst. Foul against him
64 "Sponsored" add $5k for each SPP player earns per game to Winnings
65 Player gains "Leader" If he has this skill choose an item below 65
66 Player gains "Pro" If he has this skill choose an item below 66 Pretty mu8ch, aging is still 'a bad thing' (tm) but on a 5 or 6 you get a semi-good result.

Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Season 1 ... no stars freebooted for the finals. Now Season 2 ... maybe ... we'll see when we get there.

Galak
Well Galak, remember that my team was 10k shy of getting Morg, and if I had had the money you can bet that Morg would have made an appearance for the finals.

About the topic at hand, you can always house rule that a Big Guy can get rid of his negative trait on a new skill roll of double 1s - that way you could, in theory, make your own home grown Morg N Throg.

-Balrog

Toby

Post by Toby »

The "Big Guy" System is simply a REPLACEMENT the Starplayer Monsters.
And YES, it makes them even more BROKEN.

The "Freebooting Stars" System is complete Bullshit. If you can afford it, you get an impossible creature that can not be developed by any in-game mechanics for one game only.

The Star is even more powerful and dominating that way as if he were when everybody could simply hire them like in 3rd. Oh yes only for one game... great ! That doesn't fit into the spirit of the game at all, you develop a cool team just to hire a Super-Over-Kill-Player for the Final and Hand him every ball.

Instead of designing Secret Weapons which are supposed to be a gimmick, GW or who ever is in charge at that company should call me and let them explain how to implement a decent Starplayer system. They could even sell Models this way without splitting the Undead in 3 and relaseing 12 more Elven Teams.

[./rant] :pissed:

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Toby wrote:Instead of designing Secret Weapons which are supposed to be a gimmick, GW or who ever is in charge at that company should call me and let them explain how to implement a decent Starplayer system.
Or maybe not. :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Toby wrote:Instead of designing Secret Weapons which are supposed to be a gimmick, GW or who ever is in charge at that company should call me and let them explain how to implement a decent Starplayer system.
If this happened, i guess i'd have to quit playing the game altogether.

Toby

Post by Toby »

What a loss.

I'm looking forward to it.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, I think the chances of GW asking you to redesign BB are slimmer than my chances of winning next years BB tourney - ie none! :wink:

So it looks like Zombies here for a while. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

One thing you need to understand Toby is that the main job of a game designer is to make rules that people will like. From the reactions you almost invariably get here, it seems like a good 90% of the coaches here don't like your ideas at all. You thinking that those ideas are great doesn't change anything. Whether or not they're inherently good designs doesn't matter much either. The customer is always right. If people don't like your ideas, that makes them bad, period. And it makes you a bad game designer. Even GW's weirdest rules have greater support from the players than yours.

Toby

Post by Toby »

And what exactly do you know ?

Based on 3rd Edition permanent Starplayers were simply to powerful and became a Fun-Killer. (for Example Griff Oberwald + 4 Normal Blitzers on a Human Team).

So _here_ and only _here_ on this Board once you touch the topic of Starplayers you instantly get this "Shut up Newbie Stars are Broken Ban them all attitiude". All of the people I play with are simply do not like 3 main things.

Freebooted Stars.
No Team Reroll Big Guys.
Ageing.

Take a look around in the forums on bloodbowl.com; Why do so many people House rule some kind of diffrent star thing ?

And there is the understanding that Stars are to powerful so peoples first and smartest reaction (appart from this board) is "ok, lets make them less powerfull".

And if you can't see that freeboting is the solution of some guy who wanted to go home to dinner and finish the damn rulebook then you are beyond help. Freeboting is nothing more than a hotfix for the game to avoid removing stars altogether.

The Fact that Stars were allowed in 2 Blood Bowl Tournaments so far tells me that I am not the only one who likes the idea of special characters.

And if you get the feeling i want to CHANGE every rule you are just plain wrong. I question them that helps me understand the things better. As a matter of fact I try to come up with something thats. An addition to the game, because its improvement to the long term (strategy) aspect (team management). And trust me it will neither be complicated nor difficult. The only difficulty is doing it in english.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Toby wrote:The Fact that Stars were allowed in 2 Blood Bowl Tournaments so far tells me that I am not the only one who likes the idea of special characters.
And after a vote conducted by JJ among the coaches after this years tourney, they're probably not going to be allowed next year.