When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Post by Wifflebat »

I would generally remind an opponent before they take an action for which there would be an obviously (or even possibly) better alternative, but I would consider it my responsibility to ask "where's your DP player" before taking one myself.

I of course appreciate the courtesy of a reminder, but I don't get annoyed if it doesn't happen. (If it doesn't, I might be less inclined to issue my own reminders... :evil: )

Reason: ''
I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
fanglord13
Experienced
Experienced

When do you annouce Disturbing Presence?

Post by fanglord13 »

RoterSternHochdahl wrote:Another problem about Disturbing Presence: a lot of people are so keen on doing what they are doing that they will have thrown dice already sometimes. Same with Diving Tackle, same with Foul Appearance. Knowing the dice roll changes things dramatically and to my oppinion there is no way back from there. However, Foul Appearance is a little more tricky than the other two even then. What do you do with this nasty little skill if your opponent rolled pows without checking for FA before? What if he rolled a turnover?
Re: Foul Appearance - if my opponent forgets the roll then rolls a pow result then I use the skill. If he rolls a skull, I declare I'm not using foul appearance. They learn pretty quick!

Always courteous enough to point out if asked and show team roster, but repeated failures get old

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

fanglord13 wrote:
RoterSternHochdahl wrote:
Re: Foul Appearance - if my opponent forgets the roll then rolls a pow result then I use the skill. If he rolls a skull, I declare I'm not using foul appearance. They learn pretty quick!

Always courteous enough to point out if asked and show team roster, but repeated failures get old
Isn't it your job to remember to use the skill before the dice are rolled? It's your skill after all, isn't it, how can your opponennt know if you intend to use it?

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

adhansa wrote:Isn't it your job to remember to use the skill before the dice are rolled? It's your skill after all, isn't it, how can your opponennt know if you intend to use it?
Well, that is easily answered with a quote from page 14 of the CRP rulebook:
Many players have skills such as Catch, Pass etc. Unless stated otherwise in the skill description you never have to use a skill just because the player’s got it, and you can choose to use a skill that affects a dice roll after rolling the dice. For example, you could say you were going to use the Catch skill either before or after making a catch D6 roll.
So, no, it's not my job to explain how my team works all the time.

adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Postresponse edited to make me look less clueless, didn't notice te "must" word in Foul Appearance.

Still, If I got the feeling that my opponents tried to only nullify the succesfull Block dice with the pretext having rolled for Foul Appearnce i would consider that really poor sportmanship.

Regash

Post by Regash »

If I remind the opponent at the start of the game that some of my players have Foul Appearance, he can't just roll blocks.
If he tells me that he wants to block my FA-player, you'd be right. But...
Foul Appearance (Mutation)
The player’s appearance is so horrible that any opposing player that wants to block the player (or use a special attack that takes the place of a block) must first roll a D6 and score 2 or more. If the opposing player rolls a 1 he is too revolted to make the block and it is wasted (though the opposing team does not suffer a turnover).
So, you can't deceide to not use FA, you have to! That is the "unless stated otherwise in the skill description" part of my first quote from the rulebook. Rolling for the block without rolling for FA first would be against the rules, but I wpould let it pass as "in the heat of the moment" error.

I personally would let my opponent make the FA roll afterwards. On a roll of 1, even his three POWs are wasted, otherwise I'd let the original roll stand.
Some might insist that the opponent should reroll the block after rolling for FA.

I think Blood Bowl should be fun, not purely competitive. So I think, playing your FA-team for a while, you should ask your opponent before the game starts how such a situation should be handled, just because you know this situation will probably arise.

This reminds me of one of our league finals, when player 1 asked player 2 if they should play with or without calling for illegal procedures. Player 2, being really competitive, said he wanted to play with illegal procedures. He forgot to move the turn maker 3 times in that match, was called for illegal procedure each time and lost! Impaled on his own sword, so to speak. That's why I always say: Go easy, man, it's just a f**king game!

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

I would say DP is optional. The must comes from the opponent not having a choice. And as for reminding, it is a very fuzzy line.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler