Pro skill

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Pro skill

Post by CyberedElf »

CRP p. 14 wrote:A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) . . .
CRP p. 66 wrote:a Pro is allowed to re-roll any one dice roll he has made other than Armour, Injury or Casualty
I was noticing that these were not the same list of exceptions. Pro does have the restriction "roll he has made."
1) Ball & Chain moves with a direction roll, could Pro be used?
2) In a normal kick there is no player kicking so no player could use the Pro skill, but what if a player has Kick and Pro does the kicker make the kick roll?
3) During a Pass action can the thrower use Pro during the scatter of an inaccurate pass?

The rules do not always specify if the player or the coach is making a roll. For example the section on Throwing does not specify that the thrower is making a dice roll when passing, but presumably the pass roll could be re-rolled with Pro.
My opinions based on the restrictions of if the player is making the roll vs the coach making the roll:
1) yes
2) maybe
3) probably not

Based on my own logic not anything I could find in the rules.

Reason: ''
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Pro skill

Post by babass »

A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) . . .
1) Ball and Chain is a direction roll
3) the scatter of an inaccurate pass is a scatter roll

both could not be reroll by pro :)

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

babass wrote:
A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) . . .

Pretty sure B&C direction can be rerolled with a team RR..... so why not pro? (not trying to provoke a debate, however I seem to remember seeing a post from Galak stating it could be rerolled)

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

babass wrote:

OP's point was that these exceptions are for Team re-rolls and are missing from the exceptions specified for Pro re-rolls.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Once per turn, a Pro is allowed to re-roll any one dice
roll he has made other than Armour, Injury or Casualty, even if he is
Prone or Stunned.
Seems fairly clear.

My take on the questions asked:
1. Yes.
2. No. A kick is not during a turn. The rulebook specifies the use of Pro for catching the ball, though.
3. Yes.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

I know what the rules are supposed to say here.
But it looks like they actually say something else.
Nice!
I'm with Dode.
Anything that makes a marginal skill slightly more interesting.

So - borderline case:
A Pro player knocks down a ball carrying Pro player. Does either of them get to reroll the bounce?

Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Martin's post got me thinking about Strip Ball. Just read the Strip Ball description. It says the defender "drops the ball in the square they are pushed to." The ball is scattering from hitting the ground not from the player losing the ball. This made me reexamine other examples of scatter. Knock Down and Placed Prone (p. 11) drop the ball "in the square" then it bounces. Failed pick up and catch do not have the wording of "in the square," but both indicate "drop" and then "bounce." Meaning the scatter is the roll/role of the ground, not player.

This limits us back to the original three examples. Until someone gives evidence of RAI I will probably agree with dode on all three.

The following is just to be argumentative. The Pro description puts a limit on the use of the skill to once per turn. It does not describe the use of Pro outside of the turn. It could be interpreted that the rules describing catching a kick are evidence that it can be used outside of the turn without the limit. As opposed to inside a turn plus a single case. While I agree with dode, I can see the alternative interpretation. Both in laws and rules I prefer reading and limiting by what is actually written, instead of assuming broader reach.