Scoring in opponents turn... Could break alternate turns?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Fold
Experienced
Experienced

Scoring in opponents turn... Could break alternate turns?

Post by Fold »

I'm curious about something. You can score in your opponents turn (e.g by being pushed into the end zone by a block while holding the ball, catching an inaccurate pass, or pass blocking a desperate throw). When this happens the rules state the scoring team advances their turn marked by an extra turn while they celebrate.

Now, am I wrong thinking this could result in the other player having two turns in a row at the end of the drive?

Say I'm on offence. My turn marker is on turn 3, and it's now my opponents turn 3. I score in their turn, so my turn marker gets pushed to turn 4 while the team celebrates (note it doesn't say my opponents turn marker is also advanced here). Now it's my turn, so per the rules I move the turn marker again at the start of my turn, to turn 5. Now I'm two turns ahead of my opponent, which means once my turn 8 is finished, they will have to play turn 7 AND 8 in a row.

Am I interpreting this wrong or has it ever happened to anyone?

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Scoring in opponents turn... Could break alternate turns

Post by lunchmoney »

You go wrong at this point...
Fold wrote: Now it's my turn, ....
It's not your turn. You move your marker to 4 but lose your turn celebrating. Then line up to kick. Your opponent takes their turn 4 and play resumes as normal.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

lunchmoney wrote:It's not your turn. You move your marker to 4 but lose your turn celebrating. Then line up to kick. Your opponent takes their turn 4 and play resumes as normal.
That is absolutely correct.
You move your turn marker from 3 to 4 but can't make anything because your players are celebrating. Now your opponent moves his turn marker from 3 to 4 and receives the kick for a new drive.

Basically yes, your opponent does have two turns in a row but he has to start a new drive, so he can't actually do two passes or something like that,
One turn where he suffers a touchdown, one turn where he receives your kick-off.
Since the scoring team is always the kicking team in the new drive, it would absolutely make no sense for you having your turn 4 there.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

The above are correct, but source his helpful.
CRP p. 15 wrote:In some rare cases a team will score a touchdown in the opponent's turn. For example, a player holding the ball could be pushed into the End Zone by a block. If one of your players is holding the ball in the opposing team's End Zone at any point during your opponent's turn then your team scores a touchdown immediately, but must move their Turn marker one space along the Turn track to represent the extra time the players spend celebrating this unusual method of scoring!