Hailmary Question

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

keggiemckill
Rookie
Rookie

Hailmary Question

Post by keggiemckill »

Hello guys. Ive been at this a long time and I guess I have never really understood HailMary. I have only ever used it on a Goblin team, so I assumed that Hailmary was a stationary skill. In a (Fummbl) game vs some WEs, the opposing coach had Dolfar Longstride. He received and caught a ball using the KO return skill. Then he moved his catchers up, screening my player out of the deep back field. Then moved Dolfar and passed deep, essentially Punting it. I swore I knew how the skill worked, but then after rereading it I cant seem to make sense of why I would have thought that way. Perhaps it was a LRB4 rule.

Question 1) am I mistaken, or perhaps was it and old rule that you couldn't move before making a Hailmary pass? Im more than likely making a mistake and combining it with the Bombardier skill in my head.

Question 2) can a player pick up the ball and Hailmary it in the same action? Im all down for something like this, but have until now never seen something like this. With my Slann, I regularly "grubber kick" it up field and then leg out the TDs. So this would be very valuable to my kind of style.

Thanks in advance guys. Always something to learn.

Reason: ''
The drunker I get, the more I spill!
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Hailmary Question

Post by Regash »

CRP wrote:Hail Mary Pass (Passing)
The player may throw the ball to any square on the playing pitch, no matter what the range: the range ruler is not used. Roll a D6. On a roll of 1 the player fumbles the throw, and the ball will bounce once from the thrower’s square. On a roll of 2-6, the player may make the pass. The Hail Mary pass may not be intercepted, but it is never accurate – the ball automatically misses and scatters three squares. Note that if you are lucky, the ball will scatter back into the target square! This skill may not be used in a Blizzard or with the Throw Team-Mate skill.
From what I read here, I'd says that Hail Mary uses your Pass Action for that turn.
That means that you can actually pick up the ball and move before making the pass but not afterwards, just like with a normal pass.
It can be thrown anywhere and it can't be intercepted. But it also can be fumbled and it's never gonna be an accurate pass and will scatter 3 times to determine the square it will land in. And of course a pass not caught is a turnover.
So yes, the "no movement before passing is in your head and probably comes from the Bombardier skill, which prohibits the movement due to lighting the fuse of the bomb.
Since Hail Mary counts as pass action, why wouldn't it be allowed to pick up and Hail Mary the ball?
I don't see any problem in doing it other than risking a fumble or a turnover from a missed catch.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

As you pointed out you are getting HMP mixed with Bombardier, its the bombing that means you can't move before pass.

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
keggiemckill
Rookie
Rookie

Post by keggiemckill »

It weird that after 2500 games played, and 5 times more than that spectated, that Ive never seen someone Punt the ball with Hailmary before. Apparently Ive been setting up my defence incorrectly for a long time now. On Defence it makes sense to launch a ball to another corner of the field, should you recover it on a Turnover. Ive done this with Long Bombs and such, but Hailmary is definitely worth it in this case.

The drunker I get, the more I spill!
sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

its a good use as discribed, but its not always practical to use it well
all is fair in love and bloodbowl though