LRB 6 or LRB 6 or CRP

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

pinkskink
Rookie
Rookie

LRB 6 or LRB 6 or CRP

Post by pinkskink »

Okay I am extremely confused. Until G-Dubs comes out with the new "official" rules for Blood Bowl, what is the most widely accepted rules pack for Blood Bowl at this moment in time (October 2016)? This is not for tournament play, but for my local league. I understand that we could technically play by any rules set the commissioners choose, but when our league was formed earlier this year the commissioners did not realize there was a difference in the LRB to the CRP. Any help would be appreciated.

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: LRB 6 or LRB 6 or CRP

Post by lunchmoney »

LRB 6 or LRB 6 or CRP
That looks like three options, but is only two....

CRP was the last rule book released by GW.
LRB6 was the same rulebook but the 3 races (slann, underworld, pact) added, along with art, fluff and credits.

Get it from link in my sig.

(I'm happy be corrected if that is wrong...)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

No, I think you are right.
LRB 5 was followed by the final CRP.
LRB 6 is what's called the CRP with fluff and stuff.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Icepelt is what you want (see Lunchmoney's sig) if only because there are unofficial LRB6s out there that people have added their houserules.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

To my understanding LRB 6 was never officially released by GW. There are draft and playtest versions of it, maybe house rule versions and a version I will discuss later.

CRP is the last rules that GW released themselves. There were some last minute changes between LRB 6 and CRP.

Almost everyone acknowledges the addition of Slann, Chaos Pact, and Underworld. They were approved, but not released due to lack of models.

To my knowledge Icepelt is fan made, but it has the same rules as CRP. It just has the fluff that was removed from CRP and the three additional teams. To add some confusion, the top of the Icepelt document refers to itself as LRB 6.0.

Things get more complicated when you include Cyanide. Cyanide hosts a copy of LRB 6.0. http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/files/BB_LRB6.pdf
To my knowledge this pdf is the same document as Icepelt. It has the fluff in it and the three new teams. Then things get tricky. Cyanide continued to make other changes, i. e. Khorne, Bretts, fields . . .

NAF does not officially accept any of the Cyanide changes. A common debate is the validity of rules changes put forward not by GW, but by an entity with a license from GW.

If I have any of my facts wrong, please correct me. I think the best PDF to use is Icepelt. Unfortunately there are many things labeled LRB 6. If someone is asking what rules our league uses, I say "CRP with a few house rules."

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

CyberedElf wrote:To my knowledge Icepelt is fan made, but it has the same rules as CRP. It just has the fluff that was removed from CRP and the three additional teams. To add some confusion, the top of the Icepelt document refers to itself as LRB 6.0.

If I have any of my facts wrong, please correct me.
Icepelt IS the LRB6 that was delivered by the BBRC to GW, that GW then "butchered" (for want of another word) to make the CRP.
Icepelt was made using the LRB6 pdf that was briefly available direct from the BBRC before "thing" (that don't need to be dragged up again).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Darkson wrote:Icepelt IS the LRB6 that was delivered by the BBRC to GW that GW then "butchered" (for want of another word) to make the CRP.
That seems to contradicts what was said by Galak here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39707
Galak says Icepelt was made by "players" (not the BBRC) and implies it was based on the CRP (not the other way around). Also Galak said it was made from the LRB 5.0 document.

I assume the BBRC are players, so you could be correct. The "CRP rule changes" might have been the final changes before the CRP was created, but the wording makes me think it was after.

Either way, I think we both agree it is the best document to use. I just wish there were not so many documents with the LRB 6 label.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Background info:
For a period of several years an LRB (Living RuleBook) was released once every year after discussion between the members of the BBRC.
Sometime after LRB4, Jervis Johnson started a community driven process to overhaul the rules, called both "The Vault" and the "PBBL" (Perpetual Blood Bowl L...? League?)

Now, as far as I remember, it went like this:
*Galak had created all of the PBBL rulebooks, which were the playtest versions inbetween LRB4 and 5, and 5 and 6. He also created LRB5 and LRB6. And he released those to the BB community in order to allow them to keep the PBBL playtest process going.

*For some reason, when Galak released LRB6, GW went apeshit, disbanded the BBRC, terminated the PBBL proces and a bunch of other nastyness, that people have sadly forgotten by now.

*GW took the LRB6 (which was rightly theirs) removed all Pictures, all fluff material and the 3 new teams, keeping only the rule-text, and released it as the CRP.

*Some time later the Icepelt version surfaced. Nobody has openly admitted to creating it. However, AFAIK, it bears a striking similarity to the LRB6 that Galak had created, released, and was then forced to take down very soon after. However, as this is the internet, I'm sure someone managed to download it before it could be taken offline, and released it anonymously as Icepelts.

So, in short, Icepelts is the glorious full version of the LRB6. CRP is a censored version of LRB6. But except for the lack of the 3 new teams in CRP, the actual rules are the same in Icepelts as in CRP.

IIRC
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

CyberedElf wrote:Things get more complicated when you include Cyanide. Cyanide hosts a copy of LRB 6.0. http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/files/BB_LRB6.pdf
To my knowledge this pdf is the same document as Icepelt.
It is the same document. I know because I gave it to them.

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

And that was a stroke of genius! :orc:

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

As the guy that wrote the CRP rules ... let me help.

Plasmoid has the long answer ... I have the short one.

I gave the LRB 6.0 to GW.

GW took it and removed the fluff, pictures, background, the credits for who made it and changed the name of it to CRP.

The Icepelt group had downloaded the original PDF I posted of the LRB 6.0 while it was online for a few days. All they did was take that PDF and add the 3 new teams (nothing more was added beyond the 3 new Jervis Johnson and BBRC approved teams). This document is what everyone uses and is the Icepelt rulebook.

So the CRP, the LRB 6 and the Icepelt Rulebook are all the SAME document and rules. Just Icepelt has the 3 new teams.

As the guy who wrote that PDF and rules ... I can 100% confirm this is the case.

Tom

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers