In 2016, Piling On is not for Loners

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

birdman37
Experienced
Experienced

In 2016, Piling On is not for Loners

Post by birdman37 »

Factoring in the Deathzone errata, the exact wording for Piling On now reads:
Piling On wrote:The player may use this skill after he has made a block as part of one of
his Block or Blitz Actions, but only if the Piling On player is currently
standing adjacent to the victim and the victim was Knocked Down. You can
use a team re-roll to re-roll the Armour roll or Injury roll; if the
blocking player has the Loner skill, they must roll as normal to see
whether they can use the re-roll. Then the Piling On player is Placed
Prone in his own square - no Armour roll is made for them. Piling On does not
cause a turnover unless the Piling On player is carrying the ball. Piling
On cannot be used with the Stab or Chainsaw skills.
So, say my Troll who has (possibly quite foolishly) acquired the Piling On skill, Knocks Down the victim, but rolls poorly for Injury. He elects to use Piling On, but fails his Loner roll. The team re-roll is burned without effect, no issue there. However, on a failed Loner roll, does he then have to be Placed Prone? The statement about Placing Prone makes no reference as to whether or not the Piling On Armour/Injury re-roll actually went ahead, it's just unconditionally stating "Then...".

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: In 2016, Piling On is not for Loners

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Honest answer.

That is so badly written I honestly don't know how to rule on it.

With the way the sentences are laid out ... I could argue that yes you are Placed Prone or no your are not Placed Prone with equal vigor and aggressive pounding of the rulebook while speaking.

I could say 100% that THEN means
1) the act of trying to use the re-roll has the Place Prone consequence
OR
2) that this is what follows if the team re-roll is successfully in use. IE THEN is a logic step that occurs after the first part is true ... like a computer IF THEN ELSE statement.

I honestly though do not know if the computer code is supposed to read:
IF (Declare Piling On) THEN Placed Prone ELSE Nothing
or
IF (Piling On successfully re-rolls AV or INJ) THEN Place Prone ELSE Nothing

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Logically I'd say that the player is not going to land softer on the opponent due to being a loner, so they stay standing. It's also not about stupidity as that's not what loner represents, it covers lack of team training. So the use of the reroll accounts for whether they follow instructions and elbow drop or whatever in the first place - not whether they lie down and snuggle up instead.

So I'd rule they stand.

BUT. I think the rule says the opposite. As Tom says, it's very poorly written.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

to add on to this: Can you use Pro instead of a Team Re Roll for the use of PO?

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Tojurub wrote:to add on to this: Can you use Pro instead of a Team Re Roll for the use of PO?
No. Under pro, it reads that you can't use pro to reroll an armour or injury roll

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

Pedda wrote:
Tojurub wrote:to add on to this: Can you use Pro instead of a Team Re Roll for the use of PO?
No. Under pro, it reads that you can't use pro to reroll an armour or injury roll

I don't have the new rules in front of me, but in CRP it was also not allowed to use a Team Re-Roll for Armour and Injury Rolls
Team re-rolls represent how well trained a team is. A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) made by a player on his own team...

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

Tojurub wrote:
Pedda wrote:

I don't have the new rules in front of me, but in CRP it was also not allowed to use a Team Re-Roll for Armour and Injury Rolls
Team re-rolls represent how well trained a team is. A coach may use a team re-roll to re-roll any dice roll (other than Scatter, Distance, Direction, Armour, Injury or Casualty rolls) made by a player on his own team...
I don't have the book in front of me either, but doesn't the piling on skill specify that it has to be a team reroll?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

PO specifies use of a Team Reroll. Pro is not a team reroll.