Pitch size - What size should I be building?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Agragor Manflayer
Rookie
Rookie

Pitch size - What size should I be building?

Post by Agragor Manflayer »

Hi All!

I'm in the process of building a new pitch. As we all know the new pitch is bigger than the previous one. My problem is that some of the parts were built Before getting the information of the new edition (I'm a slow builder ;)

The choice stands between building the pitch using the old scale or using the new scale.
Pros and cons:

Old Size
Pros:
-I can use the old plans and continue as intended
-Anyone in our local League can use old rulers to their hearts content as they will fit
Cons:
-Newer miniatures with their larger bases will have a hard time to fit

New Size

Pros:
- Any new figures will fit with their larger base size.
- The field size is "up to date" regarding any future templates and shenanigans GW might invent.
- It's of "the official size"
Cons:
-It's unneccessarily big
-Old players can't use the old rulers etc.

Any Comments, suggestions and insights you might offer regarding the matter?

Thanks in advance...

Reason: ''
Agragor Manflayer
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Pitch size - What size should I be building?

Post by Agragor Manflayer »

Added: I couldn't find any previous discussion on the matter. Sorry if bringing the subject again.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'd say do what is most convenient for you and those you play most regularly. If the majority of you use (and will continue to use) the old pitch then it makes sense to go for that. If it looks like most of your group will be getting (and using, not always the same thing!) the new pitch then go with that.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

I'll comment on a couple of your pros/cons, but, if it was me, it would really depend on how much progress you had made already.

Darkson is right in that it partly matters on how often larger figures will be used in your league. (GW aren't the only manufactures with size creep.)
I hate the range ruler! There are charts for range determination easier than the ruler. After getting into debates about interceptions I made an Android app to solve the problem.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tion&hl=en
Viola! Range ruler is not needed on any size board.
Andy has confirmed that the new ruler is the same scale and that the points on the side of the ruler should be ignored.
Andy has also stated that the slight text difference in the new rules should be ignored for range calculation.

connexion
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by connexion »

What range ruler...? There are charts and apps for that. ;-p

First pitch I made, 10 years ago, i used 40mm squares. I'm a vanguardist!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

CyberedElf wrote:I'll comment on a couple of your pros/cons, but, if it was me, it would really depend on how much progress you had made already.

Darkson is right in that it partly matters on how often larger figures will be used in your league. (GW aren't the only manufactures with size creep.)
I hate the range ruler! There are charts for range determination easier than the ruler. After getting into debates about interceptions I made an Android app to solve the problem.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tion&hl=en
Viola! Range ruler is not needed on any size board.
Andy has confirmed that the new ruler is the same scale and that the points on the side of the ruler should be ignored.
Andy has also stated that the slight text difference in the new rules should be ignored for range calculation.
Cello! (due to scale creep)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!