Different range

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Different range

Post by Digger Goreman »

Sounds like gw's rules division... and their board meetings....

Reason: ''
LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

I've made comparisons myself with the new ruler and found that the long bomb was one extra square and that you could throw one extra square sideways at the long and long bomb distances.
I'll have to measure again and post picturse if I get the same results again.

Praise Nuffle!
Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

We can measure using the field all we want. I went ahead and used used math!

Assuming a ratio of 1.162:1 for the new field as compared to the old (29mm:33.7mm--yes, that's the actual measured size of the squares), I found that the bands for the different ranges were:

Code: Select all

OLD:      EXPECTED:    NEW:
QUICK          100mm      116mm      118mm (using "marker triangles" on the edges)
SHORT          100mm      116mm      116mm (using "marker triangles" on the edges)
LONG PASS      100mm      116mm      116mm (using "marker triangles" on the edges)
LONG BOMB      83.5mm      97mm      97mm (using "marker edge" to inside edge of the ruler opening)
So, there's a small variation on the quick pass range. If you use the opening of the ruler instead of the triangles on the side, it's a more accurate 115mm. But something else that's significant:

The distance between the "bullseye" and the start of the Quick pass range:

Code: Select all

OLD:      EXPECTED:    NEW:
12mm      14mm      17mm (to "marker triangles" on the edges) 
If you place the ruler so that the "bullseye" is over the center of the passer's square, the difference in the "bullseye distance" plus the slightly longer QP range will be off enough to cause changes. It's more accurate if you place the edge of the Quick Pass band on the edge of the passer's square, which places the bullseye farther back in the passer's square, and pivot from there. (It's actually still more accurate if you use the inside of the opening of the Quick Pass band instead of the triangles (about 115mm vs 118).

Feel free to double-check my math or measurements, which were done with a household ruler as opposed to something more precise, but it's pretty clear that we do have ruler discrepancies, even those of us who do understand that the scales are different... :D

EDIT: Fixed error in "bullseye" measurement, and clarified.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Nice work, but...
But here's what's significant:

Why does that matter? There's nothing shorter than a QP.

Wifflebat
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wifflebat »

dode74 wrote:Nice work, but...
But here's what's significant:

Why does that matter? There's nothing shorter than a QP.
Because if people are placing the ruler by centering the bullseye on the center of the thrower's square, the total "difference" is about 4mm, apparently enough that all the ranges become off, some enough to account for the differences people are noticing. If you place the ruler so that the opening of the first "window" lines up with the first square of away from the passer, the bullseye is now more like 2/3 of the way back in the thrower's square, and can be used as a pivot point that more accurately measures ranges as per LRB6.

I was Puzzlemonkey, but now I'm Wifflebat. Please forward my mail...
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

duckwing
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by duckwing »

I've measuered again now and this time I got the same result as the old passing template.
I don't know what I did wrong last time.

Praise Nuffle!
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Rayphoton wrote:Dakka is mostly made up of people who don't know what there talking about and/or are satan. However...enjoy
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 85799.page
Hi I am sorry if I was mistaken here. I may just have interpreted the new range ruler (and it's rules) wrongly. Or I may simply be Satan too, in which case worship!

I need to take some photos again... getting confused! I see my original measures were wrong (thanks for clarifying).

But certainly there's one more square for long bombs?

garethadams
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garethadams »

Looking at the ruler it seems to me the intention was to have 3.5 square sections. This would give 3,4,3,4. The mm differences that mean it doesn't line up perfectly would be manufacturing tolerances. I don't suppose GW have clarified this?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

The new ruler is the same as the old ruler, just scaled up, and the ranges have been the same since 1995, when 3rd ed came out. (The ruler used then was the same as the one in 2nd edition BB, which had smaller squares, hence the strange ranges).

If JJ had wanted to change the bands he had 20+ years and 7 versions in which he could have done so (and yes, he was aware) so I think you can take it from that that he was happy with the bands as they are. :wink:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
garethadams
Rookie
Rookie

Post by garethadams »

The ruler used then was the same as the one in 2nd edition BB, which had smaller squares, hence the strange ranges
I think this is the piece of the puzzle that was missing for me which explains it all.

Thanks

Gareth