Frenzy, Strip Ball and picking it up.

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Frenzy, Strip Ball and picking it up.

Post by lunchmoney »

A question from a local player of mine and it got me thinking.

His question, "Strip ball and frenzy is it a failed catch or pick up when you follow up after stripping the ball and the balls in the square you have to follow up into."

My answer:
That comes down to the order everything is applied:
Attacker chooses push;
Defender is pushed back and the ball drops and bounces one square from where the defender is now.
Attacker follows up.
If the ball dropped to the square the attacker is now in, he must attempt to pick it up.
It can never be a catch as the ball is dropped before the attacker follows up.

At least that’s how I read it.

As an additional Q, if the pick up then fails (triggering a turnover) does the attacker get his second block? I think not.

Reason: ''
Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Frenzy, Strip Ball and picking it up.

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Havent had a look at the rulebook. However, if we agree that the ball bounces AFTER following up in case the defender goes down it should be the same with Strip Ball. In this case, the bouncing ball results in a catch, not a pick-up and no turnover will result from a fail.

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I'm pretty certain that (in any block) it's follow up then scatter (don't have rules near me to confirm though).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

I'd agree, I'd say the ball is knocked loose after the follow up. Because IIRC you apply armour and injury etc before bouncing the ball, so it makes sense that you'd follow up before bouncing the ball too.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I've got the book in front of me.

Page 10, The Result (of the block dice):
PUSHED: The defending player is pushed back
one square by the blocking player. The attacking
player may follow up the defender.

Page 67, Strip Ball:
When a player with this skill blocks an opponent with the ball, applying a
"Pushed" or "Defender Stumbles" result will cause the opposing player to
drop the ball in the square that they are pushed to, even if the opposing
player is not Knocked Down.

The ball dropping is part of the push back (the first sentence on the Pushed Result) and the follow up is a separate sentence. Therefore the Strip Ball will be part of the first condition (the push back) and should be resolved before the second part (the follow up) is carried out.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

A "follow up move" occurs before any dice are rolled. Therefore the ball has not yet bounced free when the required follow up move occurs.

As the ball is then a bouncing ball, should the frenzy player not grab it, there's no turnover.

Edit: Its on page 10, after the bit you've quoted (far bottom right). You've looked everywhere in the book except the obvious spot ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Pluisje
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pluisje »

Icepelt pagenumbers:

TURNOVERS (p. 7)
2. A passed ball, or hand-off, is not caught by any member of the
moving team before the ball comes to rest or
3. A player from the moving team attempts to pick up the ball
and fails (note: failing a catch roll, as opposed to a pick up, is by
itself never a turnover
)

BOUNCING BALLS (p. 13)
If the ball is dropped ... then it will bounce.
If the ball bounces into an occupied square, then the player in the square must attempt to catch it, as
described above.

So it's a bouncing ball, not a pass or a hand-off and it is a catch, not a pick-up. No turnover.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Pluisje wrote:So it's a bouncing ball, not a pass or a hand-off and it is a catch, not a pick-up. No turnover.
The argument being used above (which I'm saying is incorrect due to the sequence of required events) is that the ball has already bounced and come to a standstill on the ground in the spot that the frenzy player will move into with his follow up move. If that were the case, then it would be a failure to pick up a ball, not catching a bouncing ball, and hence why the initial thought was a turnover.

As the follow up move must happen before the ball comes free, you are correct and it is a bouncing ball, so a failure is not a turnover.

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

To back-up what mawph has said:

LRB6 P.10 Follow-up Moves: "The player’s coach must decide whether to follow up before any other dice rolls are made."

LRB6 P.11 Knock Downs: "If a player carrying the ball is Knocked Down or Placed Prone, he will drop the ball in the square where he falls. The dropped ball will bounce one square in a random direction (see Bouncing Balls, page 13) after the player’s armour and injury rolls (if any) are fully resolved."

If you have to decide to follow-up before rolling any dice, and the ball only drops after the AV roll (a dice roll) it follows that the ball will scatter after the follow-up which means it's a catch roll so no turnover. And of course, even without a KD, a scatter is still a dice roll, so therefore must be after the follow-up.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

My view agrees - no turnover. The logic is this: if a player without either skill knocked a player down, followed up and failed the catch/pick up, there is no turnover.

Purely on that, i'd want to apply the same logic to frenzy/strip ball.

That said the learned gentlemen above have clearly found sources for their argument, while i have gone on a hunch!

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Darkson wrote:To back-up what mawph has said:

LRB6 P.10 Follow-up Moves: "The player’s coach must decide whether to follow up before any other dice rolls are made."

LRB6 P.11 Knock Downs: "If a player carrying the ball is Knocked Down or Placed Prone, he will drop the ball in the square where he falls. The dropped ball will bounce one square in a random direction (see Bouncing Balls, page 13) after the player’s armour and injury rolls (if any) are fully resolved."

If you have to decide to follow-up before rolling any dice, and the ball only drops after the AV roll (a dice roll) it follows that the ball will scatter after the follow-up which means it's a catch roll so no turnover. And of course, even without a KD, a scatter is still a dice roll, so therefore must be after the follow-up.
+1

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Interesting one. But pretty clear now I think :)

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler