BB2016 Rules - Seasons Completed start at zero or one?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Re: BB2016 Rules - Seasons Completed start at zero or one?

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

CyberedElf wrote:High enough probability supports belief, but is not proof.
The rulebook has the authority to define what number of "seasons completed" is rolled against. Therefore it is internally consistent and "logical," even if I don't think it is reasonable.
Inferring is an assumption of implied intent. I think it is reasonable to infer something more than what is explicitly written. But someone who infers differently is not wrong unless the authority clarifies. I expect a clarification opposed to the rules as written. Until then, it is just my opinion. No matter how likely I think it is.
More eloquently explained than I did.

I also need to say that it is MY opinion that the intent is not as what is written. I base this on many clues written elsewhere in the book. I have NO proof the intent is what I think it is. I just think there is a high PROBABILITY that I am right.

Reason: ''
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

CyberedElf wrote:Inferring is an assumption of implied intent. I think it is reasonable to infer something more than what is explicitly written.
I'm less sure about that. Assumption beyond the explicit is unsupported.
Jorgen_CAB wrote:two completed seasons = three seasons played for the WTR roll.
Your definition of completed seasons relies on your inferences about what a completed season is. The rulebook explicitly states when the "completed seasons" number increases. More accurate would be to say
"three played seasons = two completed seasons for the WTR roll"
Which is exactly right.

Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

dode74 wrote:Your definition of completed seasons relies on your inferences about what a completed season is. The rulebook explicitly states when the "completed seasons" number increases.
I understand you don't see it, but I do... and I'm not alone in doing so. ;)

And... once again... I'm not talking about when the number change. I know perfectly how that work. We talk about inferring the intent which is subjective not absolute.
dode74 wrote:"three played seasons = two completed seasons for the WTR roll"
Which is exactly right.
Which is illogical... it is not very intuitive.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Oh I see it. I also see the thing you've invoked to shoehorn it in. And the ad populum thing isn't helping you.
We talk about inferring the intent which is subjective not absolute.
Of course inference is subjective. It's also unsupported.
There's a big difference between illogical and unintuitive. It may well be unintuitive, but it is logical.

Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

dode74 wrote:
Oh I see it. I also see the thing you've invoked to shoehorn it in. And the ad populum thing isn't helping you.
We talk about inferring the intent which is subjective not absolute.
Of course inference is subjective. It's also unsupported.
There's a big difference between illogical and unintuitive. It may well be unintuitive, but it is logical.
Well it is true I'm not alone in thinking that the intent can be two seasons and not three.

I understand you don't see it so just let it rest at that then... ;)

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Jorgen_CAB wrote:Well it is true I'm not alone in thinking that the intent can be two seasons and not three.
Meh, lots of people believe lots of different things. Not all of them are reasonable.
I understand you don't see it so just let it rest at that then... ;)
Oh I see it, as I've said. I also see the thing you are invoking to make it work. But yeah, we can agree to disagree.