Block Action

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Block Action

Post by dode74 »

Do you have to block if you declare a Block Action?

Reason: ''
BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Re: Block Action

Post by BillyDee »

I have nothing to back this up, but seeing as you don't have to Blitz, Move or Pass once declared I would say you don't have to Block?

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
Steam Ball
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Steam Ball »

Old question, take Nth. :roll:
BillyDee wrote:I have nothing to back this up, but seeing as you don't have to do things allowed by Blitz, Foul, Hand off, Move or Pass once declared I would say you don't have to block?
Fixed for you. ;)

BillyDee
Star Player
Star Player
Location: Sitting in front of a mountain of lead, that ain't gonna paint itself...

Post by BillyDee »

Gah! I meant to not capitalise block! (It's been a long night...)
Thanks for the clarification.

"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, and everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?"
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Well the reason I ask is here: http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/ ... cations/#8
You may only declare a Block if there is an adjacent standing player. This one has not been fully clarified but if you want a ruling go with this one. Once you have declared a Block and rolled any associated dice (Jump Up, Wild Animal, Dauntless) you must go through with the Block. Block is in fact the only Action where this is the case, as for example you do not have to Pass after declaring a Pass Action.
This clarification from the NAF appears to require that once a Block is declared you have to make the block. I don't think that is correct: the Block Action on page 7 of CRP states may, not must.

One might argue that this refers to blocks after skill use of Jump Up, Wild Animal and Dauntless, but I don't think that is the case except for Dauntless. The relevant parts of each skill description:
Jump Up: "The player may also declare a Block Action while Prone which requires an Agility roll with a +2 modifier to see if he can complete the Action. A successful roll means the player can stand up for free and block an adjacent opponent" - can implies a choice.
Wild Animal: "To represent this, immediately after declaring an Action with a Wild Animal, roll a D6, adding 2 to the roll if taking a Block or Blitz Action." - only mentions a Block Action or Blitz Action. We know you don't have to block on a Blitz Action so why on a Block Action? Nothing different here to any other Block Action.
Dauntless: "The skill only works when the player attempts to block an opponent who is stronger than himself. When the skill is used, the coach of the player with the Dauntless skill rolls a D6 and adds it to his strength. If the total is equal to or lower than the opponent’s Strength, the player must block using his normal Strength." - the only situation where a roll result stipulates the block must take place. Added to that is the fact that skill activation requires a block rather than a Block Action.

So I am curious: why does the NAF specify that the declaration of a Block Action requires that a block must take place?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I think it is simply because a Block action without a block is a Move action and you are really jamming a square peg into a round hole otherwise. IE ... there is no benefit that I can think of to declare a do nothing Block action vs a do nothing Move action.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

But there are skills which are affected by this. Wild Animal, for example, can be activated with +2 if you choose not to block on a Block Action but not if you choose not to move on a Move Action.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

dode74 wrote:But there are skills which are affected by this. Wild Animal, for example, can be activated with +2 if you choose not to block on a Block Action but not if you choose not to move on a Move Action.
But there is nothing gained from a no block Block action even with a Wild Animal vs a no move Move action. So again ... its meaningless to do so.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

If it is meaningless then why stipulate at all? I guess I am more confused by the apparent necessity for the NAF to clarify contrary to the wording of LRB6 rather than anything else.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

GalakStarscraper wrote:
dode74 wrote:But there are skills which are affected by this. Wild Animal, for example, can be activated with +2 if you choose not to block on a Block Action but not if you choose not to move on a Move Action.
But there is nothing gained from a no block Block action even with a Wild Animal vs a no move Move action. So again ... its meaningless to do so.
Tried hard to find a reason to do so, only thing I could think of was to overcome Hypnotic Gaze, which made me wonder: Does a 'gazed' player regain their tackle zones if they fail a Wild Animal roll?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Moraiwe wrote:
GalakStarscraper wrote:
Tried hard to find a reason to do so, only thing I could think of was to overcome Hypnotic Gaze, which made me wonder: Does a 'gazed' player regain their tackle zones if they fail a Wild Animal roll?
Yes he would ... so again no difference of Block action vs Move action

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Sorry, one last straw-clutching: How about using Jump up to stand a Wild animal up? I don't think the Jump Up skill says you have to make the block.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

It's a very short list of rolls that are made between declaration and block dice. But items on that list could use the reroll and now the coach doesn't want to roll block dice.
Jump Up uses reroll, now I don't want to risk skulls.

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

GalakStarscraper wrote:I think it is simply because a Block action without a block is a Move action and you are really jamming a square peg into a round hole otherwise. IE ... there is no benefit that I can think of to declare a do nothing Block action vs a do nothing Move action.
Declaring a block with a treeman, failing the take root, which means that if you go through with the block you're freeing the opposing player.
If you don't go through with the block you're still marking that player.

I see a benefit of declaring a block action but not carrying it out in that case

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I've never played, nor had anyone play on me, that a Block, unlike any other action, has to be done after it has been announced.
There are fewer reasons why you might not want to make a Block after declaration than say a Blitz or a Pass, but as shown above, there are some, and I don't see any reason why Block should be different.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.