BB2016 Special Play Cards - Both Coaches want to play a card

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Nod_Hero
Veteran
Veteran

BB2016 Special Play Cards - Both Coaches want to play a card

Post by Nod_Hero »

#BloodBowl2016 related question.
Apologies, I don't have the rules at hand so I need a rules citation as this is an issue within our league and I need to be able to 'show' the league commissioner.
If both coaches want to play an "at the start of the turn" special play card, which one applies first?

Reason: ''
3DB minion, Twitter maniac, Tumblr fan - That's me!
Nod_Hero
Veteran
Veteran

Re: BB2016 Special Play Cards - Both Coaches want to play a

Post by Nod_Hero »

The specific example is that the active coach played Knuckle Dusters (at the start of your turn before any players have taken an action) on one of his vampires that was going to have to gfi and dodge to get to the gutter runner with the ball and the opposing coach played the (forget the name) card that stops a player from using team rerolls (at the start of your opponents turn before any of their players have taken an action) on that same vampire. The vampire coach asked the comish about it and if there was a way to switch the order of the cards. The comish said "active team card first" and we moved on but I was hoping to get a specific rules citation for future incidents like this.

3DB minion, Twitter maniac, Tumblr fan - That's me!
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Where is the conflict?
I can't see anything in what the Cards do that prevent one from being played by the other.
Nor can I see a conflict in the timing rules on the Cards: Start of turn before any player (not coach) takes an action.

So - either coach plays his Card. Then the other - whether pre-planned or as a response to the first Card - plays his.
Problem?

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Of course it's a problem - without a clear guideline of who plays first you can get a point where two players want to play a card but are arguing about who has to declare first.

I don't know what the official answer is (don't have BB2016) but would err on the side of it being the player who's turn it is having to declare first, the same as skills.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Jorgen_CAB
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jorgen_CAB »

From a purely logical reasoning there is no problem if there are no stated player who need to declare first.

Both have the option of changing their mind at any time before the acting coach take an action with one of his players.

Both have to agree that no one will play a card and the first player can be activated.

There is almost always going to be one player who want to play their card more than the other and after a card has been played you start the back and forth again if anyone want to play more cards that turn.

If both players are stubborn and not willing to play a card before the other then simply no card is played that turn, simple as that.

I don't know if the book states one way or the other, but there is no problem with there not being a specific order in who plays first.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Darkson wrote:I don't know what the official answer is (don't have BB2016) but would err on the side of it being the player who's turn it is having to declare first, the same as skills.
Just playing the annoying so and so here, but that isn't entirely true. I don't have to declare use of the dodge skill before my opponent declares diving tackle (which is clearly picking a pain in the **** example to be a pain) ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
daloonieshaman
Legend
Legend

Post by daloonieshaman »

bazinga

It is your coach turn
you decide to take an action
if a player has not moved both cards played
the defender may wait until you act as he is using he resources (like cards or skill) to your action
I do not have to use diving tackle in the above example until I see if you fail or not on the die roll
I know you are sore from getting zingged on your play by the defender card but that is part of the game
I had the same crap happen to me on a perfect pass card when my opponent played the interception card and I was like of fudge
yea it stung

2014 Chaos Cup Stunty Cup