Foul Appearance and Jump Up

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Foul Appearance and Jump Up

Post by dode74 »

If a player with Jump Up is adjacent to a player with Foul Appearance and makes a Block Action in which order are the rolls made and what are the possible outcomes (i.e. prone or standing) for the blocking player before the block dice are rolled?

Reason: ''
CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Foul Appearance and Jump Up

Post by CyberedElf »

Jump Up wrote:The player may also declare a Block Action while Prone which requires an Agility roll with a +2 modifier to see if he can complete the Action. A successful roll means the player can stand up for free and block an adjacent opponent.
Foul Appearance wrote:The player's appearance is so horrible that any opposing player that wants to block the player . . . must first roll a D6 and score 2 or more. If the opposing player rolls a 1 he is too revolted to make the block
If the player fails the Jump Up test, they are still on the ground and can not block. If the player succeeds on both tests, proceed to block as normal. Failing the Foul appearance does not prevent the player from "stand up for free" if the other roll succeeded.

Order is less clear. "block" is part of a Block Action. The block part of the Action is not reached unless the Jump Up roll succeeds. The Foul Appearance roll is triggered by the block part of the Block Action.
The counter argument is that "wants to block" could be triggered by the declaration of a Block Action. If you interpret that a player can "want" something they are not allowed to do, then my player could "want" to block the nurgle warrior 2 squares away with a Block Action. "Want" must be constrained by also possible. IMO, a failed Jump Up makes the "want" not possible.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

If the player fails the Jump Up test, they are still on the ground and can not block. If the player succeeds on both tests, proceed to block as normal. Failing the Foul appearance does not prevent the player from "stand up for free" if the other roll succeeded.
That's my interpretation, too.

I think the key to this is the difference between a Block Action and a block. One is the Action the players is taking, the other is the act of rolling the block dice.

This is how I think it should work:
Jump Up player declares Block Action. The first thing that should happen is he makes a 2+ roll to see if he can "stand up for free and block an adjacent opponent". Note that he has not yet declared who his target is but can stand up. So he picks the target for the block and the target has FA. The FA roll is failed and the block (not the Block Action) cannot be made.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Did some testing in Cyanide.

FA roll is made before the JU roll.

If FA passes and JU passes the block happens.
If FA passes and JU fails the player stays prone.
If FA fails there is no JU roll and the player stays prone.

I'm pretty sure that last one is incorrect, and I think it can be rectified by changing the order of the rolls:
If JU passes the player stands and FA roll is made to see if he can block.

Moraiwe
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Moraiwe »

Was that in BB1, BB2 or both?

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »