Choose not to use Mighty Blow?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Choose not to use Mighty Blow?

Post by Bakunin »

Can a player choose not to use Mighty Blow on a block, if he has it?

Reason: ''
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Re: Choose not to use Mighty Blow?

Post by Digger Goreman »

Bakunin wrote:Can a player choose not to use Mighty Blow on a block, if he has it?
Page 14 of Icepelt under skills says yes.... Unless something in the skill description overrides this....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Sure, why not, skills are optional. (in crp at least, and have not seen that it has changed)

Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

Trying to be nice to those poor little stunties eh?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Itchen Masack wrote:Trying to be nice to those poor little stunties eh?
I've benefited from this, my opponent rolled 9 on the injury roll vs one of my skinks. He also wanted me to beat my next opponent to improve his own chances at the playoffs. So he decided not to use MB, took the BH, and I had the player the next game.

There's an incredibly rare situation if a player has both Stunty and Thick Skull. By the Stunty description, 7 on the injury roll is a KO, and with Thick Skull, 8 is Stunned. If you roll a 7 on the injury roll, it's better to not use Mighty Blow and take the KO, rather than using it and stunning your opponent.

A more bloodthirsty choice is if you're actively attempting to kill a Stunty player, for a bounty or something. If you roll 8 on the injury roll, Mighty Blow would turn that to 9 (auto BH) - the player is then "safe". If you choose not to use MB, the opponent is KO and might come back, potentially giving you another shot at getting a "real" casualty.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
adhansa
Experienced
Experienced

Post by adhansa »

Also sometimes opponent players can tactically obstruct more or be used for chainpushing if they are stunned and not KOd.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Itchen Masack wrote:Trying to be nice to those poor little stunties eh?
most often case, i do not used mighty blow, is related to push-push process. (like one-turn touchdown)
sometime, you need a square to busy, to be able to do the next chain-push.

not using mighty blow, might help NOT to break the oponent armor, or NOT to KO him, on a pow