Failed pickup at end of game

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

kwarrend
Rookie
Rookie

Failed pickup at end of game

Post by kwarrend »

So it's turn 8, the ball is in the end zone. I go to pick it up and fail. Does the game end immediately or do we roll for scatter and wait til it lands before the game ends?

In the "Picking Up the Ball" section of the rules it states "If the player drops the ball then their team suffers a turnover and their turn ends immediately". But on Page 19 in the "Turnovers" section it says "The turnover does not take place until the ball finally comes to rest."

So I'm assuming the answer is "scatter first, then game ends", which, in theory, could give your player another chance to catch the ball if it managed to bounce back to them (after a failed catch by an adjacent player or throw in from crowd), and score a td.

Reason: ''
fire olli
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Failed pickup at end of game

Post by fire olli »

Dropped pick up ball will end the game, that is a turn over

Failed catch you would scatter as someone else on your team could catch the ball before it came to rest.

Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Deleted: I was talking rubbish

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Potential TD.

The turn doesn't end until the ball comes to rest, so if you're lucky enough for it to scatter into the square of a team-mate in the EZ who catches the ball you score.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Wasn't this clarified before? Not that it's on my list...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I thought so to, so went hunting, but it was a Failed GFI to score that scattered to a team-mate (not that that makes any difference):
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41277&start=30#p742069

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Loki
Legend
Legend

Post by Loki »

Darkson wrote:I thought so to, so went hunting, but it was a Failed GFI to score that scattered to a team-mate (not that that makes any difference):
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41277&start=30#p742069
Yep but Tom's comclusions are still valid...
GalakStarscraper wrote:Went through to make sure I read everything and this would be my ruling:

1) Nothing on page 8 says the TURN ends immediately ... its say the ACTION ends immediately and that the TURN enters into a wrap up process.

2) In addition to not saying explicitly that the turn ends immediately, it in fact says that many things happen BEFORE the turn ends as a wrap-up to the turn. Making it clear that there are many events that take place before the turn ends.

3) When we read page 15 and see the text "at the end of any of your players' Actions". We look at the items from 1 and 2 above.
a) Is the Action ended, YES.
b) Is the turn ended when the player has the ball in his possession, NO.
So that would mean that the condition for the touchdown has been met.

As another look at it: Move the GFI to the other end of the pitch and now have an opponent catch the ball. Would you argue that this is not TD? I would say the wording of the rulebook makes it clear that it is a TD. So in effect saying the scenario under discussion is not a TD would suggest rules in direct opposition to each other for how TD scoring works. That was definitely not the spirit of the game design.

A 2nd another way to look at this ... the game was not designed to have inconsistent rulings just based on what turn it is. If the scenario happened on turns 1 to 7 ... no one would argue that a TD has been scored. So to say that Turn 8 has a different ruling was really not in the spirit of the game design. However ... I do not think this is an issue as to my read a TD is scored with the current wording in the rulebook.

Galak
That's was from CRP was original question related to BB2016?

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.