Register    Login    Forum    FAQ

Board index » Blood Bowl » Rules Queries




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 pm
Posts: 117
According to rules (if I remember/understand correctly), the coach must declare that a player is making a pass action before that player activates. But on the PC version, you don't need to. I introducede BB to my brother in the weekend and since he had never played the game before, I pointed out that he should declare the pass action before moving the player. Then he asked 'why' and since I was unable to answer, the question interested me.

Can anyone here explain why? The PC version works perfectly fine without. I can understand other actions requires this declaration. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm 
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:59 pm
Posts: 5874
Location: The Fast Lane
Baxx wrote:
. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?

... can be lost in the same way.

You answer your own question :)

_________________
Image

The Exiles Blood Bowl League and Tournaments use the Icepelt rulebook, for complete BB rules and fluff. Download here.
SW England Regional Co-ordinator for the NAF lunchmoney@thenaf.net
@Lunchmoney_Al for me @ExilesBBLeague for #TeamExiles news


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm 
Da Spammer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:04 pm
Posts: 23579
Location: Fundamentaling for the BB Illuminati
Also - say you decide to pass with player A, who needs to make a dodge roll (no Dodge skill) to get to the ball, but is closer than player B, who is in the open. Neither have Sure Hands or Pass.

With declare, you must decide before moving either player - if you go with player A, and burn your reroll on the dodge, you might not want to risk the pass, or even the pick up.
With the PC version, you can try player A, and if you have to burn the reroll, then try with player B.

The whole idea is you get one chance at each action per turn (Move and Block excluded), and if you forfeit that action then tough.

_________________
SWTC 2017 Stunty Cup winner - never again (until next time!)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:56 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 pm
Posts: 117
lunchmoney wrote:
Baxx wrote:
. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?

... can be lost in the same way.

You answer your own question :)

And if the pass action is lost, what difference does it make if you declared it or not? Some other player gonna make the pass action instead?

I can see that happening if you had multiple balls on the field.

Edit: I see your point in case of a pick-up before the pass! Thanks.


Last edited by Baxx on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Joined: Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 pm
Posts: 117
Darkson wrote:
Also - say you decide to pass with player A, who needs to make a dodge roll (no Dodge skill) to get to the ball, but is closer than player B, who is in the open. Neither have Sure Hands or Pass.

With declare, you must decide before moving either player - if you go with player A, and burn your reroll on the dodge, you might not want to risk the pass, or even the pick up.
With the PC version, you can try player A, and if you have to burn the reroll, then try with player B.

The whole idea is you get one chance at each action per turn (Move and Block excluded), and if you forfeit that action then tough.

Hmm yes that is one valid case. You could change your mind, do a hand-over and let a different player do the pass. Thanks.

It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 pm 
Da Spammer
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:04 pm
Posts: 23579
Location: Fundamentaling for the BB Illuminati
Baxx wrote:
It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.

Blame Cyanide for not getting it right in the first place. ;)

_________________
SWTC 2017 Stunty Cup winner - never again (until next time!)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:04 pm 
Godfather of Blood Bowl
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2001 1:00 am
Posts: 15848
Location: Indiana, USA
Baxx wrote:
It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.
That is the fault of Cyanide though ... not the game

_________________
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Why declare pass action before activating?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:52 pm 
Legend
Legend
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:42 pm
Posts: 2099
Location: York
Darkson wrote:
Baxx wrote:
It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.

Blame Cyanide for not getting it right in the first place. ;)


Fummbl had this too in the old client and i lost the ball in an important game after forgetting it was no longer the case in the new one.

Almost managed to win anyway but then chose both down over a pow on a player that didn't have block. sadly couldn't blame client changes on that stupidity. :D

_________________
My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

Board index » Blood Bowl » Rules Queries


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to: