Why declare pass action before activating?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Why declare pass action before activating?

Post by Baxx »

According to rules (if I remember/understand correctly), the coach must declare that a player is making a pass action before that player activates. But on the PC version, you don't need to. I introducede BB to my brother in the weekend and since he had never played the game before, I pointed out that he should declare the pass action before moving the player. Then he asked 'why' and since I was unable to answer, the question interested me.

Can anyone here explain why? The PC version works perfectly fine without. I can understand other actions requires this declaration. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Why declare pass action before activating?

Post by lunchmoney »

Baxx wrote:. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?
... can be lost in the same way.

You answer your own question :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Also - say you decide to pass with player A, who needs to make a dodge roll (no Dodge skill) to get to the ball, but is closer than player B, who is in the open. Neither have Sure Hands or Pass.

With declare, you must decide before moving either player - if you go with player A, and burn your reroll on the dodge, you might not want to risk the pass, or even the pick up.
With the PC version, you can try player A, and if you have to burn the reroll, then try with player B.

The whole idea is you get one chance at each action per turn (Move and Block excluded), and if you forfeit that action then tough.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

lunchmoney wrote:
Baxx wrote:. A blitz would be lost in case of a failed really stupid/wild animal test. But a pass action...?
... can be lost in the same way.

You answer your own question :)
And if the pass action is lost, what difference does it make if you declared it or not? Some other player gonna make the pass action instead?

I can see that happening if you had multiple balls on the field.

Edit: I see your point in case of a pick-up before the pass! Thanks.

Baxx
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Baxx »

Darkson wrote:Also - say you decide to pass with player A, who needs to make a dodge roll (no Dodge skill) to get to the ball, but is closer than player B, who is in the open. Neither have Sure Hands or Pass.

With declare, you must decide before moving either player - if you go with player A, and burn your reroll on the dodge, you might not want to risk the pass, or even the pick up.
With the PC version, you can try player A, and if you have to burn the reroll, then try with player B.

The whole idea is you get one chance at each action per turn (Move and Block excluded), and if you forfeit that action then tough.
Hmm yes that is one valid case. You could change your mind, do a hand-over and let a different player do the pass. Thanks.

It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Baxx wrote:It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.
Blame Cyanide for not getting it right in the first place. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Baxx wrote:It is very confusing for players coming from the digital version to have to remember this declaration.
That is the fault of Cyanide though ... not the game

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Darkson wrote:
Blame Cyanide for not getting it right in the first place. ;)
Fummbl had this too in the old client and i lost the ball in an important game after forgetting it was no longer the case in the new one.

Almost managed to win anyway but then chose both down over a pow on a player that didn't have block. sadly couldn't blame client changes on that stupidity. :D

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.