DZ2: Major Sponsorship - Farblast & Sons

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

DZ2: Major Sponsorship - Farblast & Sons

Post by Vanguard »

So we're using all the DZ2 rules in our tabletop league and one of our coaches has just earned a Major Sponsorship with Farblast & Sons. However, this has raised a few queries about how exactly the benefit works. The rules state:
Farblast & Sons Ordnance Solutions wrote:A team that is sponsored by Farblast & Sons can outfit one of its players with a satchel of Farblast's Finest Detonating Spheres. This must be a 'standard' player for the team (i.e. one of those which can be chosen 0-16 times, such as a Lineman in a Human team). The player gains the Bombardier, Loner and Secret Weapon skills as long as the sponsorship lasts. However, while sponsored by Farblast & Sons, the team's winnings after each match are reduced by 20,000 gold pieces due to increased match insurance premiums. Dark Elf, Elven Union, High Elf and Wood Elf teams have no time for such barbaric nonsense, and as such cannot accept this sponsorship.

A coach can choose to end their deal with Farblast & Sons in the same way as an Ongoing Sponsorship.
So the questions this has raised are:
  • Is the player selected at the start of the sponsorship or at the start of each match? i.e. Is it always the same player?
  • Assuming it is the former, what happens in the event of the player's death. Does that terminate sponsorship or can it move to another player?
  • What about in the event of injury and the player misses a match?
The rules are not particularly specific and seem to imply that it is a single player for the duration of the Sponsorship. My inclination is to rule this way and that the sponsorship deal ends if the player dies. However, I'd appreciate views and opinions.

Reason: ''
mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Re: DZ2: Major Sponsorship - Farblast & Sons

Post by mawph »

I think its pretty clear and have highlighted the text. I'd say you were right.
Vanguard wrote:The rules state:
Farblast & Sons Ordnance Solutions wrote:A team that is sponsored by Farblast & Sons can [select] one of its players with a satchel of Farblast's Finest Detonating Spheres. This must be a 'standard' player for the team (i.e. one of those which can be chosen 0-16 times, such as a Lineman in a Human team). The player [who] gains the Bombardier, Loner and Secret Weapon skills [for] as long as the sponsorship lasts.
The reference to "one" I'd read as one specific player. If what I've done is to vaguely make sense, you should read the red text as a whole sentence, with my added words in square brackets.

If it were any old team member, I'd expect it to read that you could "outfit any one of its players each game with a satchel..."

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
stashman
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by stashman »

The Bombardier; select a player and he remains the bombardier until he dies. Should he die or get fired move the benefit to another player.
Essentially the sponsorship is on the team not the player so the team retains it after a player death, but you don't get to switch it around as you like.

0-12/0-16, same difference.

Source: Jonathan Taylor-Yorke, GW Employee
Got this answer in another thread

Regash

Post by Regash »

Yep, that is how I read it too.
And good to know it switches on death or firing.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

stashman wrote:Got this answer in another thread
Thanks, I'd missed that.
Here's a link for the full thread in case anyone else finds it useful.