Quite unhappy with the BB 16 campaign system.. Here's why!

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Quite unhappy with the BB 16 campaign system.. Here's wh

Post by kyrre »

celticgriffon wrote:Kyrre - thanks for the detailed analysis. Once all the teams have gone through the redraft I would be curious to see the numbers re-run. Perhaps we all can learn things from what happened in my league this past season.
I am considering adding actual team treasury in there. Would be helpful for my own teams as well.

Reason: ''
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

celticgriffon wrote:Vanguard - if you are entering the second season then no players would be forced into retirement yet. I am curious how things go -keep us posted. Also, should the starting point for season 2 have been 1.12 M instead of 1.2 M? That was the same type of clerical error I made unfortunately.
Yup, no retirement yet, which simplified the process. Not much this time round either, as we had a lot of new teams, think only four will be completing their second season.
No, 1.2M was correct. As I said, the DZ rules were based on seasons of 16-20 matches with 10k per match. So to balance it for our league (where everyone played 10 matches) I made it a flat 1.2M. Could have done 20k per match instead, but it would have all been the same in the end.
On the same basis, also doubled the cash per TD and CAS given that we played half the suggested number of matches.

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by CyberedElf »

Vanguard wrote:As I said, the DZ rules were based on seasons of 16-20 matches with 10k per match.
I'm just being picky here, and I don't care or think your choice is wrong or bad. But, you reference the book as implying 16-20 games.

"a division should have no fewer than four teams and no more than eight" DZ1 p. 18
"each team must play two competition games against each other team in their division" DZ1 p. 19
That is only 6-14 games, plus 2 games for the four that make it to the playoffs. So, 8-16.
Friendlies have no limits, but you assume a 16 game minimum. That means that in every 4 man division every coach is intended to play 6 competition games, 2 playoff games, and at least 8 friendlies. While friendlies appear to have unlimited upper boundary, the lower boundary is still zero.
I think it's misleading to suggest the intent is 16 game minimum and then bump the redraft values to 20 game assumption.

I would argue that if everyone plays 10 matches you are exactly in the intended range and wouldn't need to increase anything. I'm not saying your choice is wrong, I like playing higher TV. I'm just saying that you are justifying increasing the league TV based on the DZ league, when that isn't really accurate. As it relates to other parts of this thread increasing the redraft TV also makes it harder for rookie teams that join.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

CyberedElf wrote:
Vanguard wrote:As I said, the DZ rules were based on seasons of 16-20 matches with 10k per match.
I'm just being picky here, and I don't care or think your choice is wrong or bad. But, you reference the book as implying 16-20 games.

"a division should have no fewer than four teams and no more than eight" DZ1 p. 18
"each team must play two competition games against each other team in their division" DZ1 p. 19
That is only 6-14 games, plus 2 games for the four that make it to the playoffs. So, 8-16.
Friendlies have no limits, but you assume a 16 game minimum. That means that in every 4 man division every coach is intended to play 6 competition games, 2 playoff games, and at least 8 friendlies. While friendlies appear to have unlimited upper boundary, the lower boundary is still zero.
I think it's misleading to suggest the intent is 16 game minimum and then bump the redraft values to 20 game assumption.

I would argue that if everyone plays 10 matches you are exactly in the intended range and wouldn't need to increase anything. I'm not saying your choice is wrong, I like playing higher TV. I'm just saying that you are justifying increasing the league TV based on the DZ league, when that isn't really accurate. As it relates to other parts of this thread increasing the redraft TV also makes it harder for rookie teams that join.
Don't have DZ1 to hand to confirm, but I don't think it was from there that I took the 16-20 guideline. I'm sure Andy Hoare/James Hewitt mentioned it when discussing redrafting, possibly a Facebook post or in White Dwarf.
This wasn't the only reason for the values we used. I actually waited till almost the end of the first season to confirm the redraft rules and tried a several variations with our actual teams to see what worked best for us.