Sloping Pitch

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

CyberedElf
Veteran
Veteran

Sloping Pitch

Post by CyberedElf »

"NOTE: A drive is defined as playing until a touchdown is scored or the half ends."--CRP p. 7 (don't have box set rules)
"At the start of the first drive"--DZ2 p. 32
In sequence of events, when is this?
Between which?
dugout setup
coin flip
setup choice
(here is where I put halfling chef, but that is subject to debate)
kicking team setup
receiving team setup
kick scatter
kick-off event
bounce (after this is nonsense since it affects this)

Of particular importance is knowing if it happens before or after the setup choice.

"At half-time, the teams change ends and the pitch slopes the opposite way."--DZ2 p. 32
My opponent argued that if you change ends AND the slope changes, then the same team is going downhill in both halves.
While that doesn't make sense from game mechanics or real pitches (barring earthquakes at halftime), he is right that it could be read that way.

If the same team is going downhill both halves, it is even more important to know when the slope is determined.

What I think is logical (but only my opinion) is that the pitch slope is known before the coin flip and the receiving team at the beginning of each half has the same slope.

Reason: ''
Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Sloping Pitch

Post by Vanguard »

I would put it after choosing to kick or receive but before setting up, nothing in the rules that would dictate that though. It's decided by a D6 roll, so I take that to mean it should be random rather than dictated by the choice of kicking or receiving, hence why it comes after that. Seems illogical to suggest that the team could setup on the pitch without being aware of the slope, hence before setup.
Would definitely disagree that the same team is going downhill both halves. I read it as meaning the teams change ends and therefore the pitch slopes in the opposite direction as the coaches don't physically swap seats. The end change is represented by reversing the slope of the pitch.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Re: Sloping Pitch

Post by dode74 »

I read it as meaning the teams change ends and therefore the pitch slopes in the opposite direction
I'd agree with that, but the wording is ambiguous and requires interpretation. It would perhaps read better as:

• "At half-time, the teams change ends and the other team plays downhill."