When to use Diving Tackle???

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

UtakHai
Veteran
Veteran

When to use Diving Tackle???

Post by UtakHai »

Hi everyone,

last night we had a game and the situation occured, that my ball carrier was blitzed and lost the ball. The ball was picked up by his thrower and he declared a pass. Fortunately my Pass Blocker was in range to put an tackle zone around him, but when I left the tacklezone of the player who blitzed my ball carrier earlier, he declared Diving Tackle and my Pass Blocker failed the dodging roll.

Question which came up was:

When is it allowed to use the skill Diving Tackle???
Is it allowed to combine skills like Pass Block and Diving Tackle, so you can put a tacklezone around the potential receiver and if the interception fails, you are in a good position of substracting -2 when the catcher leaves you tackle zone...

thanks for your comments

Reason: ''
Team Unqualified World Cup II Amsterdam
Team Germany Eurobowl 2012 Copenhagen
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: When to use Diving Tackle???

Post by GalakStarscraper »

UtakHai wrote:When is it allowed to use the skill Diving Tackle???
After an opponent has rolled the dice for a Dodge roll out of the Diving Tackle player's tackle zone.

Is it allowed to combine skills like Pass Block and Diving Tackle, so you can put a tacklezone around the potential receiver and if the interception fails, you are in a good position of substracting -2 when the catcher leaves you tackle zone...
Absolutely .... add in Shadowing and to Pass Block and Diving Tackle and you have a player whose nickname could be "Super Glue".

Galak

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

especially if said player also has tackle and a decent MA. Never wrong to develop a Wood elf lineman that way.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
UtakHai
Veteran
Veteran

Post by UtakHai »

Sorry, the question was a bit inaccurat...
Is it allowed to use the skill in your own turn, e.g. if a opposing player uses PassBlock to intercept a throw?? And if your are allowed do to so, is this handled as an action for the player using Diving Tackle???

I am asking this, because referring diving tackle as a free action, the player could easiliy stand up after the dt (if he did not take an earlier action) and move on taking a block,blitz action etc.

I believed, that dt can only be used in the opponents team turn.
I would love to call my player "Super Glue" and I think I will give this annoying combo a try...
thanky anyway and I forgot

Happy Easter

Team Unqualified World Cup II Amsterdam
Team Germany Eurobowl 2012 Copenhagen
Gattolardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gattolardo »

The Pass Block skill says the move is treated in all aspects like a normal move (Ie. he has to dodge).
So the use of diving tackle is perfectly legal (as would be the use of the Tackle and Dodge skills)
I'd say you could also use dodge if you happen to have it... :)

Cheers
Rob

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

UtakHai wrote:I believed, that dt can only be used in the opponents team turn.
DT can be used on either turn ... so yes DT can be used against an opponent's Pass Blocker.

Galak

Yeah Thrad's ... High Elf Catcher with MA 8 and that very annoying ST 3.

I always develop one from bascially this order:

Pass Block, Shadowing, Diving Tackle, Side Step, Tackle, Block (the beauty is you don't need a single doubles roll to make him annoying as heck).

Granted 6 skills is a pie in the sky dream ... but the path makes for one very good interference player.

Pitch Dark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pitch Dark »

Dont forget to add in Nerves of steel into the happicake :)

So the player that does the dt in his own turn will loose any other action he was about to do? Is it forfeit. Or can he stand up after the dt, and do his ordinary stuff?

I didnt get if anyone answered that question.

Thetchyl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Thetchyl »

So even though the player had already blitzed in that particular turn, he still gets to use the diving tackle skill?

[b]Thetchyl [/b]
[url=http://www.botzliga.de]B.O.T.Z.League[/url]
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Pitch Dark wrote:Dont forget to add in Nerves of steel into the happicake :)

So the player that does the dt in his own turn will loose any other action he was about to do? Is it forfeit. Or can he stand up after the dt, and do his ordinary stuff?

I didnt get if anyone answered that question.
Sorry ... yes the player could get up and take an action later in the turn for 3 MA. The same is true for a Stunty player that doesn't have the ball who is thrown and falls prone. He can get up later that turn for 3 MA and take an action. So this is not without precedent.
Thetchyl wrote:So even though the player had already blitzed in that particular turn, he still gets to use the diving tackle skill?
Yes, the fact that he already took an action does not prevent the use of his skills. For example if the player had Tackle, he could use that to prevent the Pass Blocker from using the Dodge skill ... well Diving Tackle is just another skill ... don't let the go prone confuse you into thinking it is movement or an action.

Galak

JeffB
Rookie
Rookie

Hrm

Post by JeffB »

What about Diving Tackle with Tackle?

Scenario: Twinkletoes the Elf (with Dodge) tries to dodge away from Snot the Orc. His original roll #1 makes it, but Snot dives and makes him fail.

1) Does Twinkletoes get a Dodge reroll now that Snot is prone?

2) If so, does he have the -2 to his reroll?

More of a rules question, but knowing the answer will help me evaluate whether to have DT or not.

sean newboy
Legend
Legend

Post by sean newboy »

1) No the tackle skill still applies, however a team reroll could be used.

2) Yes, Diving Tackle will still be functional.

Rerolls are not do-overs, they are actually the players realizing whats coming down and reacting to them. In this case the dt player started to go prone and the dodger realizes it, due to tackle the dt'er is too good for the dodge skill to help, but perhaps his team training (team reroll) can give him some move to help with this situation. Unfortunately the dt'er will still go prone if it will help or will stop himself if the dodgers team training can get him out of falling down.

Hermit Monk of the RCN
Honourary Member of the NBA!
NAF Member #4329
Vault = putting in a 4 barrel Holley because the spark plugs need gapping.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Re: Hrm

Post by Snew »

JeffB wrote:What about Diving Tackle with Tackle?

Scenario: Twinkletoes the Elf (with Dodge) tries to dodge away from Snot the Orc. His original roll #1 makes it, but Snot dives and makes him fail.

1) Does Twinkletoes get a Dodge reroll now that Snot is prone?

2) If so, does he have the -2 to his reroll?

More of a rules question, but knowing the answer will help me evaluate whether to have DT or not.
A Reroll just re-rolls that one die. All modifiers that applied to the first roll apply to the second.

Have fun!
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

Snot the Orc?? Hey Snots, didn't realise you were an orc (thought you were a snotling, learn something new everyday) :wink:

GO STAMPEDERS!
JeffB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JeffB »

Could have been his twin brother, Dung.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Torg wrote:Snot the Orc?? Hey Snots, didn't realise you were an orc (thought you were a snotling, learn something new everyday) :wink:
I'm all Orc. Well, some say there's a Troll in the woodpile, if you get my drift. I like to think of myself as Mungk reincarnate. Bogey-flicker extraordinaire! The handle comes from the old saying, "you are what you eat.". If that were true thuogh, my name may well be snotsngrotsnwormsnboogersnnailclippingsnbirdsnratsnearsnslugsngrubsnsticksnstufflikethat...

See why I just go by snots?

Have fun!