Diving Catch clarification

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Rozman
Rookie
Rookie

Diving Catch clarification

Post by Rozman »

Diving Catch The player may use this skill if the ball was thrown to him and missed.
I know by "missed" they mean "was inaccurate", but I can definitely see this leading to confusion and people wishing to use it with a dropped catch.

Also, passes are thrown to squares, not players. The ball can't be thrown "to him"...It also contradicts the HMP statement that "...this skill is very useful when combined with the Diving Catch skill." since HMP also specifically targets a square.

I might just be feeling anal retentive for some reason, but could this be changed to:
Diving Catch The player may use this skill if he is in the originally targeted square of an inaccurate pass.
This would include HMP, since it is defined as inaccurate, and eliminates the usage of the word "missed." It also leaves it only useful for the "targeted" player.

Or maybe I just need to loosen up; I see this has come up a few times but I don't think most newbies consider this skill in the first place...

Reason: ''
The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

-Frank Zappa
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Do you also realize that the player with diving catch gets to move one square even if he can't get to the ball, that the move is free, and he doesn't have to make a Dodge roll to leave a tackle zone?

Have fun!
Gattolardo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Diving Catch clarification

Post by Gattolardo »

Rozman wrote:
I know by "missed" they mean "was inaccurate", but I can definitely see this leading to confusion and people wishing to use it with a dropped catch.
Nope, with a dropped catch it's not the ball that missed...... it was the catcher ... :D

Rozman wrote:
Also, passes are thrown to squares, not players.
Wrong, under "Throwing the Football" the LRB says: "The player can throw the the football to another player in his own team (...) OR simply to an empty square..."
As the HMP is a pass.....
Rozman wrote:
Diving Catch The player may use this skill if he is in the originally targeted square of an inaccurate pass.
Nevertheless, I agree... :)
Rozman wrote:
..I don't think most newbies consider this skill in the first place...
Yep :)

Cheers
Rob

Snew
Legend
Legend

Re: Diving Catch clarification

Post by Snew »

Rozman wrote:I don't think most newbies consider this skill in the first place...
I think newbies are the only ones that consider this skill as it is nearly useless. :roll: Well, goblins and Halflings that get a few skill rolls without dying and don't roll doubles might. :D

Have fun!
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

True...and new player in my league is playing Wood Elves and took Diving Catch on a catcher and Hail Mary on a passer...and they actually scored using the combo...I was rather impressed since I've never seen the actual combo used before...

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.