Question about passing, catching and turnovers...

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Pitch Dark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pitch Dark »

Two thoughts:

1: A friend pointed out that if you block or blitz the ballholder, and successfully put him down, and the ball bounces right back at ya, and you fail to catch the ball, then its a turnover? That would feel pretty bad when you did pretty much everything right. Or maybe mummies never should block or stand next to the boldholder.. :) I guess this question was answered already though. Btw, you cant choose if you want to catch the ball.. but you can choose whether you want to use your catch-skill or not? And while were at it, can you intercept the ball when its a throw-in from the crowd?

2a. Is an inaccurate pass that gets caught buy one of your own teammembers a turnover?
2b. Why is it that an accurate pass that fails to get caught by the target, but instead is caught by another player in your team is not a turnover, when a failure to pick up the ball that scatters to, and are caught by, one of your teammemers is?

Reason: ''
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

snotsngrots wrote:For some reason I thought that, if you were pushed, the ball just scattered. You didn't get an opportunity to pick it up.
Correct Snots, but he correctly asked what happens if it then scatters to one of my players not if it scatters after the pushed player fails a pickup (which he doesn't get to do anyway).

Galak

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Pitch Dark wrote:Two thoughts:

1: A friend pointed out that if you block or blitz the ballholder, and successfully put him down, and the ball bounces right back at ya, and you fail to catch the ball, then its a turnover? That would feel pretty bad when you did pretty much everything right. Or maybe mummies never should block or stand next to the boldholder.. :) I guess this question was answered already though. Btw, you cant choose if you want to catch the ball.. but you can choose whether you want to use your catch-skill or not? And while were at it, can you intercept the ball when its a throw-in from the crowd?

2a. Is an inaccurate pass that gets caught buy one of your own teammembers a turnover?
2b. Why is it that an accurate pass that fails to get caught by the target, but instead is caught by another player in your team is not a turnover, when a failure to pick up the ball that scatters to, and are caught by, one of your teammemers is?
1 No. You can use the catch skill on anything other than a pickup (so interceptions, bouncing balls)

2a No

2b Because failing to pickup the ball is a turnover, while failing to catch the ball isn't. Its a game mechanic. You never are forced to pickup the ball, but you may be forced to make a catch roll.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

can i use the catch skill when i am fouling then ian?

Pitch Dark
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Pitch Dark »

SInce i didnt understand some of the answeres, i ask again :)

Can you choose whether you want to use your catch-skill or not?
Can you intercept the ball when its a throw-in from the crowd?

Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

Pitch Dark wrote:Can you choose whether you want to use your catch-skill or not?
Yes, you can choose to not use any skill, unless it is stated in the skill otherwise.

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
Agentrock
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Agentrock »

Pitch Dark wrote:Can you intercept the ball when its a throw-in from the crowd?
No, you can't...check this link out:
viewtopic.php?t=4513&highlight=throwin+interception

But you can always have a league/house rule to say that it could be attempted if you wish.

The end-zone “line of death” does not discriminate when one tempts fate by using a “go for it” to pass over it.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Agentrock wrote:
Pitch Dark wrote:Can you intercept the ball when its a throw-in from the crowd?
No, you can't...check this link out:
viewtopic.php?t=4513&highlight=throwin+interception

But you can always have a league/house rule to say that it could be attempted if you wish.
Rember, the crowd is chicking that ball as far as they can get it. It's not a bullet pass to the square it ultimately lands in. I'm guessing it's a steep arc. When it goes over your player's head, it's 50' over it.

The old rule book definately said you couldn't intercept crowd throw-ins. I don't know why it's now missing but I wouldn't go changing it now.

Have fun!