Strip Balll & pushing into TD

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

neoliminal wrote:Not a TD. Period.
Good, thats how it should be.

Make sure the rulebook reads that way in October or it gets F&Q ... cause right now I'd have to agree that it doesn't based on the wording in the LRB.

Galak

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

So to use a real life sporting anology (and this will confuse some people, I know), a TD is only scored when the player has control of the ball (like touching down for a try in rugby) rather than when it crosses the EZ plane. Correct?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

Darkson wrote:So to use a real life sporting anology (and this will confuse some people, I know), a TD is only scored when the player has control of the ball (like touching down for a try in rugby) rather than when it crosses the EZ plane. Correct?
Please don't try and bring real life into this. It has nothing to do with it.

Have fun!
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

(All comments below should be prefaced by the warning that I am completely pissed at the moment.)

Darkson: If you want to get technical, that is absolutely correct in NFL football. In fact, if the ball handler fumbles the ball out of bounds in the end zone, it is considered a safety for the opposing team. 2 points on the board, and the fumbling team does a safety punt to the defence. It happened last year when Stephen Davis fumbled out of the EZ.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

Is "Not a TD. Period." an official ruling?

Anything I say is totally opinion and (knowing my luck) probably completely wrong. Keep this in mind.
Balrog
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Balrog »

Dragoonkin wrote:Is "Not a TD. Period." an official ruling?
Not until it makes its way into the FAQ, but for now it's as good as any other interpretation.

-Balrog

Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ancalagon »

Wow... :o clear, concise and strong. :o :o :o

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Forget to say:
Thanks Neo!

If you love something, let it go. If it doesn’t come back to you, hunt it down and kill it.
DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I have always ruled that it is not a TD in every league I have played in.
I must admit I never even questioned it as I thought it was obvious... but clearly there is space for other interpretations.

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Moosifer
Rookie
Rookie

OK

Post by Moosifer »

How about from another perspective, define "player haivng a ball"

As in, if a player drops a catch in the end zone, it bounces onto to another player, who drops it, and bounces back to the origional player. Now, that player is "touching" the ball, in the endzone, but is not "in control" of the ball.

The way I'd play it is the old "roll dice, resolve dice" actions. As in, you roll, then apply the FULL results of that roll, then carry on from there. Usually the only place this comes up is with passing (everything stops until the final location of the ball is resolved), but with multiple possibles on a block this is the same.

So although the player is pushed into the endzone, you must finish resolving that dice roll before working out if they can score.

I feel that if this situation is considered "scorable" then these otheres should be looked at:

- Thrown player with ball hitting an endzone square. Should they score before or after they made the landing roll (since you can never drop the ball in BB, they hit the ground with the ball in hand)

- POW-ing a player with the ball into the endzone. At what point do they fall down? Do they score before being knocked over.

/me dons wig of arguing with rules lawyers

Player A (with Strip Ball) hits player B with the ball and pushes him into the endzone. At some point in the moving B goes from being in one square to being in the endzone. At the point of change B also loses possesion of the ball (as he is moved by a Push Back, he must also be affected by Strip Ball at the same time).

Therefore there is no point where B is both in the endzone and in possesion of the ball. B is in the exact same position (in game terms) as a player who was pushed onto the ball.

/me removes wig

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

Moosifer neoliminal is one of the 7 guys who make the rules, so basically what he says goes ;]

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I don't believe you. The rule book doesn't say that.

Have fun!
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

snotsngrots wrote:
I don't believe you. The rule book doesn't say that.
Doesn't say what? Quote the rule on a TD here.

[b]NAF Founder[/b]
Cervidal
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Cervidal »

Pointed out to me in conversation last night:

P. 16:

"A team scores a touchdown when one of their players ends an action standing in the opposing team's End."

Please, drop this argument now. Ended right there. If you're pushed into the end zone, you haven't finished an action. Not a TD.

This also means that a stunty thrown into the endzone after picking up the ball and running next to the Big Guy would not score the touchdown.

Other situations include your own player getting pushed as a result of one of your blocks thrown which moves him into the end zone. Not a TD.

I wish I could claim credit on this one, but John pointed me in the right direction.

Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

God bless that Blood bowl rule book. :lol: :lol: :lol:

When is the next time that thing will see print?