Wild Animal Problem

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Sam Witty
Rookie
Rookie

Wild Animal Problem

Post by Sam Witty »

If a big guy has wild animal and you put a guy next to him does the big guy have to use your blitz? The rules say that if a wild animal is next to a player he must throw a block. It doesn't feel right to me. I need some answers, it help would out our league alot.

Reason: ''
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

No you have not: Wild Animal says that you have to Block OR Blitz. It's your choice.

Sam Witty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sam Witty »

Sorry I didn't right my question right, if the wild animal is on the ground do you have to blitz? Thats what I meant to say.

narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

no problem: WA description says if a "standing" Wild Animal begins his turn adjacent to an opponenthe has to block/blitz. So if your WA is prone you may stand him up and do nothing else (but you have to stand him up still as the very first action of all your players). If you like you may stand him up and blitz, of course.

Sam Witty
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sam Witty »

Thanks for the clarification. I'll tell the rats+league comissioner that the next time I go to the store.

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

It can actually help you if your WA is on the ground : you may choose to let him on the ground, so no risk of double skulls turnover!

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

yep, also helps your opponent though :lol: :wink:

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Dave wrote:yep, also helps your opponent though :lol: :wink:
Agreed, but you must do so in strategic moments !

Fred

Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

If Wild Animals were just forced to throw an ordinary block (i.e. not a blitz!) if they begin their turn standing to an adjacent player, most rule-problems concerning WA would be solved immediately and there would be no need for all these clarifications any longer.

edit:
prone? :oops:
standing I meant of course!

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

LRB, p. 26:

"if a standing Wild Animal is adjacent to a standing player from the opposing team then they must take either a Block or Blitz action, and throw a block at an adjacent player."

The Bold is from me.

Mirascael: If he starts the turn prone, he's in no way obliged to Blitz. He may only stand up and that would count for his action. You may as well leave him prone.

Fred

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Not quite correct. If he starts prone, he can dodge away, foul, blitz. It's only if he started the turn standing must he block or blitz.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

That's not the way it is written in the LRB Darkson. It clearly says "if a standing WA", so if he starts prone, you're not forced to burn your blitz on him.

Fred

Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

You are never forced to burn your blitz on him. Ever! Standing, prone, playing parcheesi he can BLOCK OR BLITZ!

It's not that hard. If he's standing next to an opponent he has to BLOCK OR BLITZ (your choice). If he's prone, he's just like every other player except he takes his action first.

Darkson was correcting your statement that he can "only stand up" which is incorrect.

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

OK, bad translation on my part here. I meant that he may select to only stand up as his action. ("Raise your lazy butt and stand still!" the coach would have yelled...)

Apologies to Darkson.

Fred

Gobstopper
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gobstopper »

I think that since he is a wild animal and needs to go first that you could not stand him up later in the turn. If you are going to stand a knocked down wild animal up it must be your first move of your turn....Right? Then he would have to perform a blitz or block action on the player next to him. In this situation he could only block the adjacent player if he had the jump up skill otherwise he would need to use the blitz action.

If you skip standing him up right away then you would not be able to stand him up at all during that turn.

My friends and I have found that wild animals are very easy to defeat by always standing someone in their vicinity to take them away from the play. Use a lineman/equivalent to tie up the wild animal so that he is less effective and force him to use up your opponent's blitz actions for the turn.

Welcome to another grand evening of Blood and Mayhem sports fans.