the hand-off rule

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

I would like some official clarification on the hand-off rule.
Here is what the rule is in the latest BB errata:
"Handing off the ball is now an action, like move, blitz, pass etc. You may only make one hand-off action per turn. The hand-off is made after the player's move just like a pass. This aside, the rules are unchanged."

My querie is about the timing of the hand-off. Is it make all your movement then hand-off the ball (which is what the rule seems to state), or can you move a bit, make the hand-off and continue your movement. What about receiving a hand-off? Can a hand-off only be made by the player who has the ball, or can another player run up to the ball carrier and make a hand-off (and then supposedly end his turn), leaving the now ex ball carrier to make an action (assuming he has not already made an action)?

Hmmm. this was going to be a realy simple question but it has grown a bit from my initial though. Still I am not too sure what the answers are.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DaImp on 2002-04-04 17:42 ]</font>

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

Your movement is done after the handoff, just like a pass.

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

Then can a player without the ball make a hand-off action? Or can the action only take place in the ball carriers turn?

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Only the player holding the ball can do the hand off action.

Once he hands off the ball, his movement for the turn is done.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

The ball carrier declares a Hand Off action, and hands the ball off at the end of his move, in exactly the same way as a pass.
The second part of the rule is interesting..note that Skills or Traits which affect a Pass action will not affect a hand-off. I read that as Pass, Accurate etc, and not Catch. Anyone?
Edit: Well there's no change to Catch, so I guess that stands as I read it. I guess the biggie here is the inability of opposing players to use Pass Block during a hand off action, which is a change from Gold.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deathwing on 2002-04-04 18:15 ]</font>

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

OK... that makes it a whole lot clearer. Thanks guys.
Just to clarify... is the receiving player allowed to use catch?

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Yes the receiver is allowed to use Catch, Extra Arms, Nerves of Steel, etc.

Galak

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

Thanks Galak.
That ruling effectively screws up a number of my favourite plays! Doh!
Ah well... I personally feel the rules in this instance were just fine as they were. To me it makes sense that a player can make or accept a hand-off at any time in his movement. Making a hand-off an action is an improvement however. Why was this rule cahnged?

Jonathan Merry
Da Leeg Commissioner, Shaka Shield and SA Open Organiser
Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Making a hand-off an action is an improvement however. Why was this rule cahnged?

I think you just answered your own question :wink:

Cheers!

-Chet

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

Well, not realy... :wink:
Just cos a hand-off is an action, it does not neccesarily mean the player has to lose his remaining movement after performing the hand-off. Why could this action not be used in the same way as a blitz action, where you use 1 movement to perform the action and can still use your remaining movement?
I can't see a hand-off being so taxing on a player (in a real life situation) that he could not perfom it and continue to run.
(finaly I have an objection to the new rules that I feel strongly about!!! hehe).

Sneaky Rat
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Sneaky Rat »

Just as a side note, i have never been clear on if a handoff is a pass action. IE Can i run up, hand the ball to my thrower, and then in his action, throw the ball, all in the same turn? I have always assumed no, but what is the official ruling on this?

Now do you believe that dead rats still float?
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

On 2002-04-04 21:43, Sneaky Rat wrote:
Just as a side note, i have never been clear on if a handoff is a pass action. IE Can i run up, hand the ball to my thrower, and then in his action, throw the ball, all in the same turn? I have always assumed no, but what is the official ruling on this?
Yes you can. A Hand Off is a separate action from a Pass, and you can do one of each per turn.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

That ruling effectively screws up a number of my favourite plays! Doh!

Yeah, it's probably the one ruling in 2K1 that's had the most significant change to the game. For starters you can't run the "five eighth" nearly as effectively anymore (thrower stays deep with recievers downfield, run up, pass to the line, run downfield, reciever dodges out, takes the handoff and scores). It's also harder to roll out the ball from a turnover since the player blitzing the ball loose can't afford to pick it up unless you want him to be holding the ball at the end of your turn.

Both of these have a major impact on finesse teams such as Skaven and Woodelves, both of whom rely on the above two plays as part of their arsenal.

On the plus side it's made it easier for power teams to turn over finesse teams in their drive, reducing the need for power teams to employ attrition and clock-controlling strategies; paradoxically increasing the overall level of on-the-ball play rather than decreasing it.

Despite the fact that it's seriously curtailed my two favourite teams I have to say I like the balance it's restored to the game. Pass plays are now riskier and a dropped ball vs woodelves no longer guarantees a defensive touchdown.

It takes a little time to work out a new offensive playbook to compensate but it does introduce some interesting new gameplay options.

Besides, you get a lot more passes directly to the endzone now, which I think looks much cooler ;)

Marcus

Acerak
Rulz Guru

Post by Acerak »

Just cos a hand-off is an action, it does not neccesarily mean the player has to lose his remaining movement after performing the hand-off. Why could this action not be used in the same way as a blitz action, where you use 1 movement to perform the action and can still use your remaining movement?

The Hand-off action is analogous to the Pass; once the player has performed the action, he's done. The Blitz is just its own oddity :)

Impact questions aside, I think the Hand-off is now where it "should have been" from a game design POV. It should be a player action, not a shuffle-style free play.

-Chet

DaImp
Super Star
Super Star

Post by DaImp »

You know when I analize the rule more, I find less and less to disagree with. :) I absolutely agree that a hand-off should be an action. That only makes sense. And I would then have to agree that as it is now an action the ball can only be handed off in the ball cariers turn. (grudgingly accepted ;) ).
But I still believe that the ball carier should be able to finish his movement after handing off, but in all honesty this is such a small matter that it hardly seems worth arguing about it.... so I won't :lol:

plus this is my 50th post so I am in a good mood. hehe :smoking: