Apoth a Virus?

Don't understand a particular rule or just need to clarify something? This is the forum for you. With 2 of the BBRC members and the main LRB5/6 writer present at TFF, you're bound to get as good an answer as possible.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Apoth a Virus?

Post by Skummy »

Can you use an apothecary to cure a player who has been afflicted with the Virus handicap? This came up recently in our league, and we weren't really sure how to respond. Anyone have an opinion?

Reason: ''
[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Asmodan
Legend
Legend

Post by Asmodan »

I think i remember the answer was no, because the handicap says he is too sick to show up, which is entirely different from being niggled out.

NUFFLE SUCKS!
Master Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer´s association
los_locos
Veteran
Veteran

Post by los_locos »

I dont really know but I would say no!!! Handicaps aren't that good anyway, and when you eventually roll virus one of the better handicaps, your oppent shouldnt be allowed to use his apoth, what use has virus then!!!! It makes the handicap rolles even worse!!!!
That's just what I think???!!

LOCO
grotemuis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotemuis »

isn't an apot used during play? i.e. after kick off, just like re-rolls

and with one sigh he managed to expres his total hatred for everything that's mankind
marvin
Redfang
Legend
Legend
Location: With the wife, watching Zara and the Hasslefree chick from behind their bedroom curtain...

Post by Redfang »

@ Grotemuis; you can also use your apothecary to allow one of your players who rolled a one for his Niggling Injury roll to play; this then counts as your one and only use of the apothecary in the match.

R

Ik wou dat ik twee blondjes was,
Dan kon ik samen spelen.

[size=67][url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334]Bragging[/url][/size]

What keeps me busy nowadays: [url=http://www.bruchius.com/]Fun with violence.[/url]
grotemuis
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotemuis »

for the first time in ages :oops: what a f*&k up

and with one sigh he managed to expres his total hatred for everything that's mankind
marvin
narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

Obviously I'm here on my own but I tend to say that it's possible for an apo to heal a virused niggling player.

My argument is that virus means (in game mechanics) that you automatically fail all your niggling-rolls (?). Maybe it uses a different wording but the reason the player are missing are the niggling injury after all.

To say handicaps are hardly good is not an argument, if the coach wants to use his apo for this virus-player he hasn't got one for the match, making it the same as Mickey Finning his apo.

aristodeimos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by aristodeimos »

narkotic wrote:Obviously I'm here on my own but I tend to say that it's possible for an apo to heal a virused niggling player.

My argument is that virus means (in game mechanics) that you automatically fail all your niggling-rolls (?). Maybe it uses a different wording but the reason the player are missing are the niggling injury after all.
You aren't alone...I agree with your assessment. In fact, Skummy is asking the question since I set the precedent in our league that it can be used.

It's still a big deal, since it means the team has no apothecary for the game. In addition, the player still has a niggle and the Niggle Phase of the pre-game is after the handicap phase. So you could even argue that the player has to roll as normal. We've had this occur in our league as well (and the player niggled out)!

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

I agree too, you said it all IMHO

narkotic
Da Collector

Post by narkotic »

You are such a "Yes-Man", Dave. :wink:

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

all Dave's are yes men!

I also agree that an apoth can be used to cure 1 (and only 1) niggler from a Virus handicap.

Dave

gken1
Legend
Legend

Post by gken1 »

i'd say yeah...he can use apoth but still has to roll for niggler after. Dangerous for that coach since no apothe during the game tho.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Dangerous Dave wrote:all Dave's are yes men!
No, we're not. I very definately voted NO!

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

I'd say no, fluff wise:

a) "In sports now. A virus struck amongst the visiting team while they were at the hotel/inn, so 4 members of the Rotten Scoundrels didn't leave their room today..."

b) "Star Gutter Runner Squeaky Jim of the Rotten Scoundrels wasn't schedule to play today due to a bum knee, but the medical staff gave him proper cares and he was added to the line-up seconds before the kick-off."

I think that a) is what happens when 6,3 is rolled on the Handicap Table. b) is what happens when an apoth is used to cure a Niggling roll. My humble opinion.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I agree with Fred's reading of it, wheter it's right or wrong.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.