Pro Elf Vs Norse. inducements?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

NorthernMonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Pro Elf Vs Norse. inducements?

Post by NorthernMonkey »

Hey all.

My 3 game elf team has been drawn against a more developed Norse team in our local cup competition.

I'm 3 games in and have a healthy 11 man roster (just 1 dead lino so far replaced with new catcher)

5 vanilla Lino's
Accurate thrower
Both Blitzers are now Blodge-step
Catcher 1 has dodge
Catcher 2 has Block and Guard
Catcher 3 is brand new.

I'm at 1240 and the Norse team is 1610.

I originally planned to take both Eldril and Hubris Rakarth but multiple skill ups in my last game has stopped that idea as inducements are now at 370.

He has 13 men but fortunately no tackle yet so thinking taking 1 star is still good call for a small bench plus whichever one i take has some power I can't match with my rostered guys.

So which one and how to spend the rest? I have an Apo (useless as he is..) so thinking 1 star and spend rest on cards?

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: Pro Elf Vs Norse. inducements?

Post by rolo »

Does your league allow Wizards?

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
NorthernMonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NorthernMonkey »

rolo wrote:Does your league allow Wizards?
Nope, just the rubbish 2016 one.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

So you have 370k to play with.

Eldril is a fun option for 200k, especially if your opponent doesn't have Tackle. With a little bit of luck, Hypnotic Gaze is almost like having a second Blitz action every turn. No cage is safe, no defense can stop you.
Of course, using Hypnotic Gaze means putting your expensive, blockless star player in danger, so save him for when it's most valuable.

Wandering Apothecary for 100k can be used aggressively, meaning keeping a valuable Badly Hurt player in the game (or KO player on the field). Or use it to just try to save players, 1600+ Norse are a brutal matchup for new-ish Elves.

At least one babe for 50k is a pretty good bet. You have three guys with Block and mostly AV7, you WILL lose players and babes help some of them come back.

Personally I'd get those; Eldril, Apothecary, and one Babe ring up at 350k.
I'm not really familiar with the cards (my league doesn't use them) so I can't help you much there I'm afraid.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Hi NorthernMonkey -

I like rolo's suggestions, however, you face 2 important issues in this match-up:

- You have only 11 players (you can expect these numbers to reduce, perhaps sharply), and
- You have only 5 Linos (once 3 of them are in the dugout, you will be forced to put positional players on the defensive LoS).

My suggestion, therefore, would be to take the following inducements:

- 3 x Merc Linos, no skills (3 x 90,000 = 270,000)
- 2 x Babes (100,000)

As well as being able to maintain some sort of parity in numbers through the match, you may even get a numbers advantage. Either would frustrate your opponent, perhaps greatly. And you could put 3 Mercs on the defensive LoS (protecting your team). Other possibilities are also opened up (sacrificial plays, fouling).

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

Smeborg wrote:Hi NorthernMonkey -

I like rolo's suggestions, however, you face 2 important issues in this match-up:

- You have only 11 players (you can expect these numbers to reduce, perhaps sharply), and
- You have only 5 Linos (once 3 of them are in the dugout, you will be forced to put positional players on the defensive LoS).

My suggestion, therefore, would be to take the following inducements:

- 3 x Merc Linos, no skills (3 x 90,000 = 270,000)
- 2 x Babes (100,000)

As well as being able to maintain some sort of parity in numbers through the match, you may even get a numbers advantage. Either would frustrate your opponent, perhaps greatly. And you could put 3 Mercs on the defensive LoS (protecting your team). Other possibilities are also opened up (sacrificial plays, fouling).

Hope that helps.
+1

Nothing like a deep bench for pro-elves

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

You could take Jordell and a merc lino?

rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

You could also take Hubris Rakarth and two babes.

With ST4, MB, AV8, and Block, he's the most durable player on your team and might even help you hit back and mitigate your own attrition.
Will he help more than 3 mercenary linemen? The more I think about it, the more I like that suggestion.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

A NOTE ON HORATIO (= NEW "WIZARD")

I have a dim opinion of Horatio, having taken him in a small tournament recently (with Halflings). In 5 attempts (3 games = 6 halves, I forgot to use him once) he failed to bring down a single player.

However, I must acknowledge that the only time Horatio was used against me, he was successful (bringing down a cage corner, leading to a 2 TD swing to my opponent, and a lost "final").

Therefore I raise the possibility of taking Horatio as inducement in lieu of 1 of the Merc Linos suggested above. I guess it is a matter of taste. There are 2 aspects to Horatio: damage (quite possible against AV7 Norse), and turnovers (if you get lucky). And you get to use him twice.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
NorthernMonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by NorthernMonkey »

Interesting suggestions.

Game had been delayed as opponent couldn't make it this week so have time to think but am leaning towards Eldril, Merc Lino and a babe. Leaves 30k so may aswell make the lino a thrower (though he would be on LOS all the same!) I guess because why not!

Gives me 13 men same as him.

Have had great fun with Eldril before and he'll make the opponents offence much riskier. Even if he gets targeted it still takes the heat off my real players but the Merc gives me an extra body to help keep him out of the way till it's time to unleash him. Really hadn't considered a plain old Merc but it certainly appeals now.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I forgot - a Merc Thrower with Leader (if you do not have one already) can be good value in these match-ups. 150,000 for a player and a re-roll.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'd definitely go for Edril, he'll help you win more than the two Merc linos who'd replace him. If you just wanted to survive then the Mercs would be better, but it's a cup game, so go for the win. I also think he's the he best value star in the game and would induce him any time I could.

I'm not sure whether a Merc thrower and babe would be better than the Merc thrower with Leader, how many rerolls do you have?

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

I have played against Eldril a number of times in tournaments. I know some coaches love him.

Nearly every time I have just put him in the dugout. He is AV7 and largely unprotected, so often one or a few blocks does the trick. If it doesn't, a judicious foul usually will.

All the best.

Smeborg the Fleshless
rolo
Super Star
Super Star

Post by rolo »

Eldril's fragile for sure, no more so than the rest of your team though. Be careful about when you use him, make sure it's in situations that really hurt your opponent (like getting a hit on his ball carrier, or removing a key defender to score). Sometimes he just works better as a threat - if you see your opponent building a cage, just point to Eldril and helpfully say, "you know he has Hypnotic Gaze, right?" and give him a concerned look. With any luck it'll rattle your opponent and make him paranoid. 9 players in a 3x3 box is easy to defend ;)

Aliboon
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Aliboon »

I'd agree that Edril often ends up in the dugout, but with any luck he should have done his job by then and given the elves a turnover score or two. If he's being blitzed/fouled, then it means one of your permanent players isn't.

He needs protecting until he makes the all important hypno gaze, blitz on the BC, extract the ball, retrieve, pass and score all in a turn, so he isn't exposed to being blocked back. At least that's the theory...