How to win dwarves!

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

How to win dwarves!

Post by bj0rn »

A dwarven team is put together by three types of players:
1. ball handlers: runners & blitzers
2. defence: longbeards
3. linebreakers: trollslayers

Bashing teams:
Priority number 1 is keeping the blitzers and runners in check, they are the ones that are going to pick up the ball and score. if they arent on the team nobody else is very likely to do their job...

If you have a team that you belive can hold the line versus an attacking dwarven team your priority number 1 are the trollslayers...their frenzy breaks up your defence like a hot knife through butter if the coach knows how to use it.

that is basically it, besides from whacking every guarding longbeard as often as you can.

running teams:
a bit more difficult...
your only problem is avoiding the dwarfs...and because of their slow move it shouldnt be that difficult. try and align yourself so you can run and score in the next turn...make a screen protecting the runner and endure for one turn...then score. it is really much easier than it sounds(just watch out for trollslayers).

if you are on the defensive, try and scatter their defence so your blitzer can make a go at the ballkeeper...

if the dwarfes refuse to scatter, just stand in their way and they will barely be able to move much...again, look out for trollslayers!

the bottom line for both running and bashing tactics versus dwarfs is the dwarfen runner and blitzer...negate them and the dwarfs are crippled.

as a bonus, negate the troll slayers and the game is yours.

bj0rn - ...comments?

Reason: ''
SixFootDwarf
Experienced
Experienced

Post by SixFootDwarf »

*mutters*

Is this a BEGINNING team, Bjorn? Or a veteran Dwarf team? Cuz vs. a new Dwarf team all that might work. Runners are the key. Get the Runners and your chances are good.

You mentioned whacking out Guarding Longbeards...good idea. The $64k question is...HOW? :D When there's 8 guys with Guard on the field you're not getting a lot of 2 dice blocks, bro. When everyone on the team (not counting Runners) can get ST skills, that's a lot of Bash coming your way. Short of a well-tooled Chaos team, I don't think anyone can out-bash a Dwarf team. Even Orcs. The only consistant way to beat a good Dwarf team is to score FAST. Don't let them get more than 1 round of hitting in. Then stay the hell away from them.

Dwarves can't really be beaten...just given a minor setback. :D

bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

any dwarf team...

naturally you are going to have to consider the skills an advance team has aquired, but that applies for all teams...not only dwarves.

doing a cage-style play vs. guarding longbeards is not going to work...

you can negate the guard skill by spreading out...you will at least minimize guards efficiency if you do.

anyway...that is just normal procedure when you are being outbashed by the opposing team...you try to commit their key players to your lowly linemen and score before they get hurt too much...

bj0rn - ...

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

As an experienced and successful Dwarf coach :roll: , I don't use Blitzers.

They are not as good at ball carrying as your runners.

They are not as good at causing pain as longbeards.

They cost too much!

My starting lineup is 8 longbeards, 2 runners and a slayer. Leaves a lot to spend on RRs and FF.

Once I have 14 players in my team, then I get 2 blitzers, but only because they came in the box..... sigh.... :(

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

no blitzers, hmmm...hadnt even crossed my mind.

i do see its usefulness, longbeards are by far the best LoS blockers in the game out of the box. but how do you do on the defence...i mean, runners are good but you should have BIG problems when it comes to picking up the ball. i mean, your opponent sees those runners as the ones without block and the only ones on the team with ag3.

havent you had problems in defence?

bj0rn - ...

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I, on the other hand, love my Blitzers.
I use Blitzers as my primary defensive players, as bodyguards for the runners on offence, and as back up ball carriers.

Thing is, its horses for courses. I can see why Norse's way of thinking would work (the trade off being 10k and Tackle against 1MA and 1AG, twice). I would go nuts trying to play with that line up, because I want to max out my minimal ball handling ability, but Dwarfs are a lot more flexible than you'd give them credit for. There's more than one way to brutally ram the ball down your opponent's throat. Especially if that opponent is a bunch of girls who rely on the Dodge skill to get anything done. :evil:

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

Good points well made, but my LOS is 5 LBs..

I keep my slayer as my last line of defence because he gets to hit twice if he needs to, I usually drop a LB back to give an assist for both blocks as well, so defence is not a huge issue.

In fact, I have never conceded more than 2 TDs in a game except for my second game vs a 250+ skaven team with a 1 turn TDer!! I gave 5 in that game, but I was playing for the MVPs and the gate!

I see the value of Blitzers as defence men, but I now have a runner with block and strip ball who not only defends nicely, but scores a lot too!

If I was to change one thing, based upon your points Bjorn, it would be to drop the slayer for a blitzer and an extra 10K onto FF.. Frenzy sometimes is a curse, not a blessing!

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

yes, frenzy is...limited.

sometimes it provides you with options that you would otherwise not have and other times its better not to move the frenzy player...

it all depends on the situation and obviously coaching abilities come into play when determining where that frenzied player is located. can you position him in a way that frenzy is useful more often than not, or are you having problems with the second block?

this talent, in my opinion, is what a dwarven coach needs to be able to do.

bj0rn - ...

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I blitz at point blank range, that way I can push the opponent into the crowd and still have a square or two of movement left to move away from the sides myself..

No, what gets me about Frenzy is I always seem to roll double skulls for the wee psycho! He's mad, but he's not accurate!!!! :lol:

honeycomb kid
Experienced
Experienced

Post by honeycomb kid »

I bought a big fat mean ogre for my dwarves.
Bashy? I think so.
Bashiest? I know so.
I'm just starting to get guard and I love it! I used to play faster (see any other) races in 3rd ed and hated the dwarves cuz they were so slow. Guess I wasn't using them right.

"Bashy Bashy"

Mirascael
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Mirascael »

Is this thread kind of undead now?

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

I think that your strategies can't be trusted if you believe that teams are divided between bashing teams and running teams. Bashing teams are running teams! Especially now under the LRB.

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I think he meant that those were the two routes you could take with the Dwarf team.

Can't trust anyone who wears glasses because he thinks they make him look smarter/cooler.

Have fun!
Hox-ii
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hox-ii »

The thing is, not everyone runs a cookie cutter dwarf team. Sure, it can be fun (and very annoying to your opponents) to create an all-guard, all slow dwarf team... but I've always found it more entertaining and generally more productive against smart coaches to vary up the skills a bit.

Blitzers can be very nice players to have on a dwarf team, even if they are somewhat costly. They are definitely a good pick up if you don't start your team with them. They are excellent defensive dwarfs that can also provide a bit of variability in your offence. I generally pick up a blitzer and give him catch (on doubles) or sprint just to have the option of going to someone other than my runners.

ZanzerTem
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Tampa, FL (I USED to be able to see Galak in the distance!)

Post by ZanzerTem »

When I started my Dwarves, I started with 1 Runner and 10 Longbeards. YES, it was risky, but I also started with 2 rerolls AND an apothecary, and almost max fan factor. I have several Longbeards with TD's, and I have noticed that this setup has allowed my normally slow developing front line to develop skills faster.

Now, I have a full front line with Pile on (8 guys), and about 1/2 of those with Mighty Blow. My opposition is lucky if they have 7 people on the field after I recieve a kickoff (depending on whom I'm playing). Of course EVERYONE is on the ground, but hey, they can only foul ONCE a turn, and usually don't do it, because they want to keep their players on the field. Screw the cage! When there isn't anyone one the field, there is no reason for it.

NAF # 581
Commish of the ABBL, Tampa Bay's premier BloodBowl League!