Am I just beardy too?

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Is it beardy to surround an opponent's Wild Animal in an attempt to force a turnover?

Yes, play the ball not the man before I slap you!!
8%
More or less but I can live with it.
17%
Not really but it should not happen often.
No votes
No, it's never beardy, it's just what you have to do sometimes.
75%

Total votes: 36

Ryk
Rookie
Rookie

Am I just beardy too?

Post by Ryk »

Well, searching for opinions on this tactic. I can gain, effectively, two consecutive turns, half the time or better, by placing 4 players around an opponent's Wild Animal. Two consecutive turns should be enough for a moderate speed team to score. What do you guys think? Is it beardy to do this?

Reason: ''
McKrackenfield
Rookie
Rookie

Post by McKrackenfield »

this is what makes wild animal a negative trait

the people you are playing with have to learn how to avoid that situation as it is the best tactic against wild animals

if you put a wild animal in the middle of the line this is a situation you are probably going to run into and you must live with it

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

This is exactly why I hesitate buying a Mino for my CD team. Too unreliable and hot-tempered ! But I would see it as fair-play if one of my opponents would do that.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

Well....I just gambled twice in my PBEM game.
I'm playing against a Chaos team with a Mino with Skaven Clan Moulder.

My first turn I stick my Rat Ogre with Block into the Face of the Mino (without Block). A pow/skull comes up and I score next turn.
On the ensuing kickoff, up comes Perfect Defence. So I stick my RO directly in his face again, with support behind. It's a 1D Block again, and a pushback would result in 2D my choice. Worth taking the chance I thought....
Predictably.....POW!!!! Spike the Mino does a number on my RO.... SI (MNG). Ouch! :-?

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Its why Wild Animals are Wild Animals. Its a prefectly legit tactic.

In fact one of the way to get a Wild Animal if you cannot surround him is to throw a Block/Dodge player at him with a V support behind him as you sometimes don't have 4 ST 3 players to surround him with ... this plan works really well with 1 ST 3 or 4 Blodge player and then 2 other players of ANY strength.

Code: Select all

........x.
......Wo..
........x.
Where W is the Wild Animal, o is the Blodge player, and x are any two teammates of yours not in opposing tackle zones.

If o is ST 4 its a good trap as you hope for the push from the first hit so the 2nd is 2D opponent's choice ... if o is ST 3 its still a 1 dice block against a Block opponent.

Galak

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Has to be perfectly legit, if you are daft enough to leave it unprotected then you deserve to fall into the trap.

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

Easy turnovers,gotta have em.
You opponent will just have to re think his use of the player

bj0rn
Experienced
Experienced

Post by bj0rn »

true, using WA requires tactic and precautions...

and i know "realism" isnt really an issue here but picture this:

one huge wild animal is on the field, every member of the opposite team except the ball carrier swarm the wild animal who repeatedly falls over, causing turnover for its team...

how about a wild animal which, on a roll of 1 (similar to bonehead) acts like the other coach wants it too...

perhaps with limitations like "can only perform move actions and loses its tacklezone until it comes back under control" ??

so...wild animal:
after declaring an action with this player but before making the action roll a d6, on a roll of 1 the opposing coach may make a move action with the wild animal player and the player also loses his tacklezone until control is regained over the animal.

bj0rn - or something like that...

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I think the Wild Animal rule is a negative enough trait alone as it is without making it worse for the Coach. Plus does that mean if the other coach is now in control, does it act as a wild animal then, therefore subject to being swarmed and causing a turnover against the opposition coach or would that rule now be ignored.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

My only comment would be that WA is just fine. Its a negative enough skill, and yes I can picture a "real" life Blood Bowl game where 4 men swarm the Minotaur to keep him down. Triple teaming happens in Basketball .... definitely see it on the BB pitch.

The only player with rules that allow the other coach to control the fig is Thrud and he can only be freebooted. I would not play with a rule that allowed my opponent to start moving my players around the board at will even if it was only on a 1.

Galak

Devil's Advocate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Devil's Advocate »

This is the very reason I think Wild Animal needs to be changed.

If an Ogre or Troll fails his Negative Skill roll, he becomes a useless lump of plastic/lead/pewter on the field. But if a Minotaur or Rat Ogre fails, that ends the teams turn. End of story, you can't even unstun!

I much prefer a 1 in 6 (or 3 in 6) chance that the Wild Animal does something wild and unpredictable, such as moves randomly using the scatter template.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

The argument for leaving the WAs as they are is that a good coach can use the benefits of a WA while avoiding the negatives ... also with Block and Pro Wild Animals become much less negative ... Bonehead can only be helped by Pro.

Galak

christer
Star Player
Star Player

Post by christer »

The argument for leaving the WAs as they are is that a good coach can use the benefits of a WA while avoiding the negatives
I totally agree. I absolutely love the minotaur in my CD team. Just played a game today with these CD's against a Rat Ogre equipped skaven team.. I got him to block me several times with two dice against him. No block on his side, block on mine.. He managed to survive 4(!!!!) of these two-die blocks, taking my player down (not the Mino though.. I keep him out of reach). His lucky rolls and my extremely bad rolling (I did 1 casualty, he did 6) made it a 1-3 loss for my side *grumble*. My mino got hurt in the last turn of the game.. and git a niggling *argh* Have to buy a new one now.. Can't have a niggling minotaur on the team.. What kind of power symbol would _that_ be??! :)

-- Christer

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

We're having fun with WA's in this MBBL2 game.
First my #1 Rat Ogre knocked down his Mino and I score. Then on the next Kick Off his Mino sticks a SI MNG on the same RO! :evil:
My other RO then gets Ko'd by a Blitzing Chaos Warrior with assists. Damn. :(
His Mino then managed to get a 2D both down result against a clanrat, giving me the opportunity to push two Beastmen into the crowd, putting a niggle on one of them. The other one was the ball carrier, and I've managed to swoop on the resulting throw-in. I'm wide open but at least I've got my grubby mits on the ball...
So there you go, the good and the bad of WA....lots of fun though! :D

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Anonymous

WA Beardy or Not?

Post by Anonymous »

I would think it is in actuality beardy. I first heard beardy as described by a WH40K player. He called anything that starts by looking at the rules and then the game as Beardy. :puke:

So if that logic sticks... :zzz:

Okay I am putting myself to sleep with this drivel... :lol:

I like Minos and I hate it when my opponent "tricks" the dumb beastie into a Gang-Bang situation. However, I love it when I do a 2 die block opponent chooses and get double pows or dodge/pows and my opponent is block heavy... :roll:

This has happened as many times as I have double skulled in a single game so I figure it is all good... 8)