First Team

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Russ
Rookie
Rookie

First Team

Post by Russ »

Hey guys, I'm joining a league as a newcomer :oops: to the game. I've been looking through the forums for a couple days, and I've seen you guys discuss just about every type of team there is...except for humans and orcs. :o

Some of the players in the League I'm going to join this season say that Orcs are boring :evil: , and I've seen it in this forum that Orcs are 'easy' :P . Anyhow, I thought :?: that to learn to play the game I would use one of the original teams. There's miniatures galore for them, too.

I can't really disguise my intense need to win, though, and I'd like to give my team good possibilities for progression.

Any words of wisdom when playing Orcs? Or a better team roster for a new coach?
:wink:

Reason: ''
Blah, Blah, Blah...Hey...are you listening?
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

If youi want to score, take Humans to start. If you want to maim, take Orcs to start. Simple.

Orcs are not BORING. I'm running an orc team at the moment...they're great fun.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Russ
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Russ »

Is there a balance somewhere between maiming and scoring? Doesn't grinding slow down the game? Can a maiming team prevent a scoring team from scoring. Can a scoring prevent themselves being pounded to dust?

Blah, Blah, Blah...Hey...are you listening?
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Orcs and Humans ARE the balance...its just whichever you prefer in your game plan. Really when choosing a team I'd recommend playing as many as possible and then picking the one you like best. Humans and orcs are the best for learning the game, but you'll find it most fun with a team that suits your style of play, whatever that may be, and the only way to find out what that is is to test the options.

Oh, and be sure you like the minis for the team(s) you eventually choose.

Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

I'm with Thadrin here...

Humans are the most versatile team in the game, as they can outscore poundy teams (like Dwarf, Orc and Chaos) and outpound scory teams (Skaven and Elves)..

You may lose occasionally with them, but they are very reliable and very rewarding, so I would say Humans first, then Orcs. I have a much loved Orc team, but when the chips are down they do not deliver in the same way as a human team.

My $0.02

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Orcs are definitely not boring and with the addition of a few Goblins can even develop a decent passing game as an offshoot to the normal running game.

Zy-Nox
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Zy-Nox »

I'd say Humans, they're faster than Orcs but lack the strength.
If you dont mind using stars then Zug can really even up the odds when you play a bashy side,dont forget you can hire an Ogre aswell.
Good all round side for a starter.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]Hall Of Famer[/url]
Novice Heretic
Wielder of the Trout of Nuffle Slapping
"I hope this makes sense,most things make sense in my head, but not to other people"
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

THERE's the Kicker. Its fairly tough to make an Orc team into a good passing team. Its not nearly so tough to make Humans a good running team. The Humans are so insanely flexible you can take them in any direction you want. As soon as I get the figures Mrin has sent me I'll start up a Human team, probably going for a Running/defensive orientation to the team (still a dwarf coach at heart...)

Anonymous

Dwarves...

Post by Anonymous »

Hey there Russ... :smoking:

I would choose Dwarves to start with as they are pretty straight forward. You will have certain frustrations but they will be positive ones. :wink:

They are quite defensive and the errors you make as a new player will easily learned and understood. Also, there are plenty of online tactics for them and they are easy ones. The Cage takes no time at all to learn and when you get to the point of passing with the dwarves you will stun your opponents into submission... :lol:

Otherwise I would just read over the different teams and pick the one that seems the coolest as all of the teams have strengths and weaknesses that you will learn over time as you play more games. :evil:

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I dounno Pine....as a Dwarf coach I know how frustrating they can be at times. Sure all those skills make an enormous difference, but if you're going to have that as your reason for selecting the team then its better to go Norse or Amazons.

Dwarfs take experience and a good knowledge of the game to play right, because, with the complete lack of speed, your set up can be critical. There is nothing I fear more than my opponent rolling a Perfect Defence, because its so hard to adapt to a new plan once you've set up.

Once you get the way the game works they can be a fine second step, but I really think that if Humans don't fit then Orcs or one of the Human+ teams is a better way to go.

Anonymous

Good Points all...

Post by Anonymous »

I would agree with your points... :?:

I guess I learn more from failure than from success. By taking a team that is easily played no matter what you are trying to do with them there are too many variables. Are yours games losses due to inexperience, a mistake in action choice, a mistake in evaluating your opponents actions, a mistake in planning your turns, or just bad dice rolls.

I think with a tough team the reason of failure becomes VERY clear as it can happen almost immediately and with drastic effects. Sure this strategy isn't that great if you are playing in a tourney or at a Con. However, I think for learning the game the immediate response is great!

what do you think? Do you remember being new to the game and thinking something you were doing was a great idea but ended up being nothing more than luck or opponent's mistakes?

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

When I was new to the game - wayyyyyyyy too far back for my memory dude.....

This is the guys first EVER league.
I still maintain my "try everything, see what you like" stance, but for a total newbie Humans, possibly Orcs is the way to go. Its too easy to lose big with Dwarfs.

NightDragon
Legend
Legend

Try it all

Post by NightDragon »

I agree with that mound of Dwarf flesh Thadrin. Try them all and you will then soon come to realise that the best team is Dark Elf. Not only are they more skilled, but they are better looking as well. On the Human-Orc debate I have found a number of things;
1. The main weakness with Humans is their AG3. Just when you are throwing the winning pass or dodging out for the final TD they will blow it.
2. It is tempting to go for Star players, or at least it was in the old edition, don't, it is much better to build up your own team.
3. Orcs have a lot of character and like Humans I have found them there and there abouts, always around the fringes of success but never successful. The closest I have come with an Orc team is by making them BRUTAL.
4. If you go for Human go for Brettonian. A more all or nothing team with awesome blitzers.

Laters DD.

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Re: Try it all

Post by Thadrin »

DeputyDawg wrote: 4. If you go for Human go for Brettonian. A more all or nothing team with awesome blitzers.
Which strictly speaking doesn't exist in the current rules....

longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Nor are there any figs available!

(This is where some anorak comes back with a "convert Warhammer figs" post)

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]