LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Re: LRB 5 Starting League Rosters

Post by mattgslater »

Got a good Goblin and Khemri roster, Matt?

Re Slann, I just don't like big guys. I see Slann as being driven by Linefrogs at low TV and Blitzers at high TV. I'll take a Krox, okay, but I want bodies and RRs first.

Reason: ''
What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

mattgslater wrote:Got a good Goblin and Khemri roster, Matt?

Re Slann, I just don't like big guys. I see Slann as being driven by Linefrogs at low TV and Blitzers at high TV. I'll take a Krox, okay, but I want bodies and RRs first.
The Goblin and Khemri rosters posted are fine, I explained what I'd change.
Currently I'm not rostering a Bombardier in my Black Box team for the simple reason that I need that one extra "regular" Goblin who won't be ejected, Goblins can be played without Looney and Bombardier, the core players are Trolls, Fanatic and the Pogoer in my opinion, so I'm considering to fire the Looney, but not sure.
About Slann: the Kroxigor is one of the best Big Guys and he can tie a couple of players, sometimes causes a CAS/KO, and helps to make a cage or sideline half-cage. I tried to play with a Blitzer but I don't like him because he's overpriced and lacks Block (a Blitzer without Block is a joke).

someone2040
Experienced
Experienced

Post by someone2040 »

I don't mind the no Thro-Ra roster. Back pre-Khemri changes (I can't remember if the cost of the Tomb Guardians has changed now), I was fairly successful with the same roster (Only difference would be in left over gold).
You just have to use Blitz-Ra's to pick up the ball until you can pick up your Thro-Ra (Who of course is priority number 1). Once you do, he's going to hog all the SPPs so it's a decent way to get some early SPP on the Blitz-Ra's.
At the end of the day, the only difference between the two is using an in built re-roll or possibly needing to use a team one.

--SoMeoNe2040--
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

someone2040 wrote:I don't mind the no Thro-Ra roster. Back pre-Khemri changes (I can't remember if the cost of the Tomb Guardians has changed now), I was fairly successful with the same roster (Only difference would be in left over gold).
You just have to use Blitz-Ra's to pick up the ball until you can pick up your Thro-Ra (Who of course is priority number 1). Once you do, he's going to hog all the SPPs so it's a decent way to get some early SPP on the Blitz-Ra's.
At the end of the day, the only difference between the two is using an in built re-roll or possibly needing to use a team one.
The problem is that if you don't manage to pick up the ball with the Blitz-Ra you might be forced to use a reroll that you want to save for other actions like blocks and GFIs, or lose some turns without advancing with the ball (consider possible scenarios like Pouring Rain, Blizzard, Blitz! etc.).
Khemri is not exactly a fast and agile team so picking up the ball as soon as possible is very important to set up properly the attack and protect the ball carrier.
Starting without a Thro-Ra is a thing I will never do nor suggest.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

I insist on having two throwers on roster.... Maaaaybe you need just one on offense, but definitely two on defense as ball fetchers after the blitzer pops the ball loose....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

So, 4 TGs, Blitz-Ra, 2 Thro-Ras, 4 Skels, 3 RR?

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Post by crimsonsun »

Khemri are my team and I've run successful teams in the OCC, UKBBL, CC and many other competitions on cyanide. Basically I have two schools of thought with starting builds depending on the enviroment. Basically in a long term league with multiple divisions suck as UKBBL or OCC then 3 Reroll,s 2 Blitz Ra's, 4 Guardian build is hands down the best. It allows you to get vital spp on those Blitz Ra's in those first few matches while you save for the Throw Ra's.

In short term leagues or competitions with knock out stages your far better going 2 Throw Ra's, 2 Blitz Ra's, 4 Tomb Guardians 4 Skeletons 2 Rerolls as it gets results far quicker and makes you able to defend against a Strip ball war dancer if you meet one early! then you can save towards that next reroll asap.

I've tried so many builds with Khemri now and can without any doubt in my mind say these two rosters are miles ahead of the rest. Blitz Ra's are critical to Khemri as are Tomb Guardians so neither of these should ever be considered to be left off the starting line up, Blitz Ra's early are your only chance at blocking with any stability while the tomb guardians are the only reason to play khemri!

mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

crimsonsun wrote:2 Throw Ra's, 2 Blitz Ra's, 4 Tomb Guardians 4 Skeletons 2 Rerolls
4x TG = 400k
2x BR = 180k
2x TR = 140k
4x Skel = 160k
2x TRR = 140k
Total = 1020k

One Thro-Ra, 5 Skeletons? Only 3 Skeletons? I have to say that except in a KO tourney (Royal Rookie Rumble on FUMBBL, for instance), I'd be really hesitant to do this. In a league, I'd rather run the risk of getting stripped in the first couple games to start with the third re-roll.

crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Post by crimsonsun »

mattgslater wrote:
crimsonsun wrote:2 Throw Ra's, 2 Blitz Ra's, 4 Tomb Guardians 4 Skeletons 2 Rerolls
4x TG = 400k
2x BR = 180k
2x TR = 140k
4x Skel = 160k
2x TRR = 140k
Total = 1020k

One Thro-Ra, 5 Skeletons? Only 3 Skeletons? I have to say that except in a KO tourney (Royal Rookie Rumble on FUMBBL, for instance), I'd be really hesitant to do this. In a league, I'd rather run the risk of getting stripped in the first couple games to start with the third re-roll.
yeah 3 skeletons sorry, my math off my head was off. I fully agree with your statement and pretty much said as much above, long term its far better to go with 3 rerolls and no throw ra's initially. Basically if you must get results from every match then this build is worse than the other, but if you have time to build your team this build is hands down the better one.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

Wood Elf
Wardancer + Treeman or 2 Wardancer
9 Lineman
2 Rerolls
(30K left, suggested split is 1AC, 1CL, 10K Banked)
I would suggest to invest 30k in FF. As Fan Factor pays itself back through Fame +1 and hopefully +2.

I recently started a short league with Wood Elfs and 3 FF made me win the first game.
First Fame +2
Second throw a rock KO'ed a Chaos Warrior
and together this resulted in +30k winnings, which is return on investment after game 1. I rolled a 1 on winnings so the RR also made me 30k more than what I would have when I lost.

Sure this is an extreme lucky example but I think it will be statistically I think 3 FF difference will earn you 10k each match and it improves your odds on Kick-of Result in 36% of the cases. Being Wood Elves you prefer to score quick and often, that way you will have more Kick-Offs.

I know FF isn't as important as in 3rd edition but I, for one, was underrating it's value as I saw it as an investment you will only loose after time. Now I see it as a little advantage that helps you win more games, so definitely more value for gc than AC or CL would be on a rookie team.

Electric Wizard
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Electric Wizard »

Next season I'm planning on playing goblins in our league. We're starting with 1.000.000 gc, will have about 14-17 matches and the Special Play Cards as inducements are allowed.

The thing is... I'm really not sure about the secret weapons. I already got a season with goblins under my belt in which I bought all four (Yeah, it's only 3, I know...) secret weapons.

I would take the pogoer and the chainsaw for sure. They were great. The pogoer as a ball carrier, the looney as a fouling machine.

The fanatic on the other hand... he had like one or two moments where he shined, but after that he was whirling about into nowhere.

The bomber feels like a nice gimmick for me, but was too often of too little use. Flinging stuff as a stunty is hard. Sure, there's the potential for HMP. But first you have to get the skill...

Now I read here that MattDaka enjoys the fanatic alot. But I wonder how? In my eyes he's sooo easy to avoid for the enemy. You might get someone who puts three guys on the LOS next to each other and have a nice block fest. But that only works about... once.

Right now I'd start with the following set up:

2 Trolls
1 Looney
1 Pogoer
9 Goblins
4 RR
930.000 gc

Enough inducements to get one bribe for sure.

What do you guys think?