Need help with dwarfs

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Ancalagon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Ancalagon »

I need help to build a dwarf team for a 3rd ed. 1 weekend tournament and for a 4th edition league. This is the team I thought for 3rd:
2 blitzers
2 trollslayers
2 runner
4 longbeard
grim Ironjaw
7 FF

any advice?
:pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancalagon on 2001-11-15 16:48 ]</font>

Reason: ''
Anthony_TBBF
Da Painta

Post by Anthony_TBBF »

No re-rolls? Personally I would ditch Grim, I don't think he's worth the cost on a starting teasm since regular Troll Slayers are good enough out of the box. This would be my team for a 4th ed. tournament:

2 Runners
2 Blitzers
2 Troll Slayers
5 Longbeards
2 Re-rolls (+1 free RR for 3 total)
7 FF

If you know everyone is maxing out on FF then I would tweak the roster a bit and take the 9 FF as well.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Tournament is 3rd. I agree about the cost of grim, but he has mighty blow... and strenght 4 and dauntles. Sure all players will have lots of st. and I think dauntless is my solution. But I'll try your team in a few matches before the tournament.
Any advice on how to put the players on the field (defense and ofense).

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

arf Ancalagon, dont take STARs PLAYERS PLEAZ!!
if u are sure of dauntless way, take 2 Troll Slayer (but i would prefer only one)
with 2 runners, 2 blitzers,1(2)Troll Slayer,7(6),3 rerrol (no free reroll in 3rdEd) and the rest in FF (you could take 11 players with more FF if you want.

about the position on the field, it is the same as ever:
go down in defence if opponent is skav oe elves or halfing/gobboz.(let one or two Longbeard in your back coz of thiers tacle skillz).
Protect your Troll slayer (if only one).
In offense: do a little 'pocket' and go up to the TD slowly against strongless team. Or do a break and run with your runners if they dont defend their back yard.
Do a lot of block (coz of their skillz), you ll succed more than him.
But all that is well known general tactik for Dwarves.
The key is always tackle zones you have under your power!!

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

So your proposal could be:
2 blitzer
2 trollslayers
2 runners
5 longbeard
2 RR
7 FF

Have you tried something like this? did you succeed?
I'm still in doubt about playing with dwarves, norse (they low av sux but they have all block and are cheap allowing starplayers, at the end all depends on your player luck while rolling armour) or lizards (I've played several matches with them and I know their weakneses; ag and low st skinks)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancalagon on 2001-11-16 09:21 ]</font>

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

Dwarf are one of the best begining team, coz they hav block (against all opponent), tackle (against skav, gobbo and halflings), and Dauntless (against big guyz).
They can be very hard to play for an elven team .
The problem (for me ) with Dwarf teams is low evolution of the players and how to evolve them...
Norse are a little deferent because of they're AV but they hav a better Mouvement and Agility.

It is always fun to put all opposite team down coz of your block skillz, that make you some break to the TD. Dont play cool with them, play hard with blocks(and reroll in case of...).
good luck

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

soz i forgot, take an APOTHICARY!! in a league or a tournament,this is very important (or start with 12 players).
3 rerrols would be better :smile:

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

I could change 5 FF for an apo or 4FF for another reroll.
In fact last time I played against dwarf I was using my lizard team and he won 1-0 (Grim scored catching a ball I lost trying a pass action) but he passed most of the turns waking up his players.
I never started using apo while playing Dark elves or lizards... should I start now that I'll use higher av?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancalagon on 2001-11-16 17:37 ]</font>

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

This is my point of vue, i always take an hapo, coz we dont know... but 40000 for a rerrol==>u MUST take 3 of it. Grim is not good enought for his price=>dont take it (i hate stars players exept Treeman for halfling...)

but if you dont take hapo for your first games, it could be:
2 Troll Slayers 180
2 Runners 160
2 Blitzers 160
5 linedwarfs 350
3 rerrolz 120
3 FF 30
Total 1.000.000
but buy an hapothiCARE as fast as possible, coz loosing a lineman that cost 70.000 is quite expensive!!
it depense the way u love it and how u play your runners and blitzers too, may be it is better to hav an hapo and less special players.
gl, hf

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Similar question came up on BBC - was that you Anclagon?

I'll give the answer I gave then:

2 Runners = 160
2 Slayers = 180
2 Blitzers = 160
6 longbeards = 420
1 Reroll = 40
4 FF = 40
+ free Reroll.

Consider subbing one LB for an extra Reroll and +3 FF if you wish...depends how much you're willing to gamble on injuries. Dwarfs are tough, but that doesn't make them immortal (says he who got a Niggling on a Longberad from blitzing a Human Thrower. :puke: )

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Yes, Thadrin, I posted the same or similar on BBC.
Thanks for your advice. I know that dwarf are not immortal, in fact all depends on the luck that you oponent has while he rolls dice. I've played against norse without passing armour more than twice and other day played against orc and destroyed his team (more than 4 injuried).
Thanks for your advice, all will be considered when building my team if I finally choose dwarf instead lizards.
If playing a 4th ed. league Will you change one of you dwarf for a human/elf ally ? maybe a thrower?

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

arf, dont take ally!!!
can you imagine an elf with a full team of dwarves??, u should be kidding :razz:

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

Sorry, I talked witout having the ally table near. Dwarf ally are human, norse and ogre. Maybe I should think about human throwwer, norse blitzer and the ogre at long term, but when building the team maybe choose only the human thrower because the norse blitzer can easily be replaced by trollslayers, and the ogre it's a bit expensive (although could drop a RR to get it). Now I'm talking about a 4th league, what do you think about?

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

In leagues I'm a great believer in maxing out on FF. It helps with crowds, and there's 4 KO results it affects. If you start with the max 9, it can give you a jump on your opponents if they start with lower FF, and if others are starting at 9FF, you're going to be at a disadvantage unless you do as well. Remember you can't buy FF once you've made your roster!
Re-rolls aren't as important to Dwarves as some other teams because of the amount of skills they start with, plus they are ridiculously cheap at 80,000 (esp. once you have a guildmaster!).
So, pretty similar:
2 blitzer
2 trollslayers
2 runners
5 longbeard
1 RR
9 FF
20K Treasury.
The average of 9FF is 31,500 fans(just yours!) so you should be at least +2 on the winnings table even if you lose, with the 20K left over you should be pretty much guaranteed an apoth. after your first game.
Alternatively, you could drop a Trollslayer for a Longbeard and go with 2RR:
2 blitzer
1 trollslayer
2 runners
6 longbeard
2 RR
9 FF.

Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

I see, and agree with you about FF. Agree too about skills of this little bast**ds and RR. So let's try another combination, waiting rules of allies that could change this could be my 4th dwarf team:
2 trollslayers 180k
2 blitzers 160 k
2 runners 160k
2 longbeards 140k
1 norse blitzer 90k
1 human thrower 70k
1 ogre 120k
FF 8
¿1 free RR?
total: 180+160+160+140+90+70+120+80=1000k
I've forget something? I'm not sure if I'm wrong because I used the players costs I had in my head. what do you think now?