Risks of Turnovers in Blood Bowl

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

TuernRedvenom
Legend
Legend

Post by TuernRedvenom »

I just read a good article lately about mitigating risk
A link would be appreciated, I'm a curious fellow. :)

Reason: ''
Un bon mot ne prouve rien. - Voltaire
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

I'll see if I can find it...

Here we Go

~ bouf - Find me on Board Game Geek
Or find me on YouTube!
Grogmir
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Grogmir »

Jural wrote:
Grogmir wrote: RIght that's it, I'm removing my reroll calcs. :evil: :pissed:
Seriously, I'm surprised someone took the time to do that! The other ones are straightforward, but I need excel (usually) to factor in multiple actions with re-rolls.

Nice one!
8)

Spike Cup Reading 07 -- Runner Up, DE's. Damn you Lycos!
Conflict south 07 - Winner, Dark Elves.
Brighton BB league runner up 07 - DE's.
Brighton BB league runner up 06 - Dwarves
stormmaster1
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stormmaster1 »

bouf wrote:Being that all the easiest actions are on the top... and almost all of those are Block rolls! It sure makes Dwarf coaches look lazy, eh?
True, but they also make more rolls. Repeated 2D blocks turnover eventually, whereas moving and handoffs/passes you have only a few rolls to turnover.

I think it's interesting that for an ST3 AG3 block player who is tied down by a ST4 player, you are more likely to turnover by dodging than by blocking.

Also the opposition block skill makes no risk to the turnover.

Jural
Legend
Legend

Post by Jural »

bouf wrote:Being that all the easiest actions are on the top... and almost all of those are Block rolls! It sure makes Dwarf coaches look lazy, eh?
This is 100% true for GOOD dwarf coaches. Bad dwarf coaches never turnover and still lose 6 to 1 as elves, skaven, and humans outposition them and get wide open running and passing lanes, which the dwarves can not recover from.

At the end of the day, MA 4 and AG 2 are real problems :)

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

Thank Nuffle the "Uber-Munchkins" have some sort of restriction....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Jural wrote:Bad dwarf coaches never turnover and still lose 6 to 1 as elves, skaven, and humans outposition them and get wide open running and passing lanes, which the dwarves can not recover from.

At the end of the day, MA 4 and AG 2 are real problems :)
Very true... except for the "to 1" part. They either lose 6-0 or 3-1, as one successful Dwarf offense knocks three failed ones off the clock (vs. Elves, anyway). Last season we had a Dwarf team w/only one win: half the time they still had a TRR at end of half!

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

Just for Fun...

What are the chances of a TO with your big guy?
If I have Block,
If I have Pro,
If I have Both,
If I have none...

1 Dice Block,
2 Dice Block,
3 Dice Block,

Code: Select all

~~~~~~~~~~|1Dice |2Dice |3Dice |
No Skills |33.33%|11.11%| 3.70%|
With Block|16.67%| 2.78%| 0.46%|
With Pro  |    ? |    ? |    ? |
With Both |    ? |    ? |    ? |

Or find me on YouTube!
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

With Pro, assuming you use it only to re-roll skull/both down:

1d: 1/3 to have to use Pro, so 1/6 to fail, 4/6 to succeed (that is, not fall down), 1/6 to rr (4/36 to succeed). That's 10/36, 27.777...%, or the same as a 6+ roll on 2d6.

2d: 1/9 to have to use Pro, so 1/18 to fail, 16/18 to succeed, 1/18 to rr (8/9), or 10/162, or about 6.2%. Who needs a calculator when you've got the Golden Ratio?

3d: 1/27 to have to use pro, so 1/54 to fail, 52/54 to succeed, and 1/54 to get to 26/27. (27^2)(2) = (3^6)(2) = (729)(2) = 1458 permutations. 27 fail w/failed Pro, plus one more with successful Pro, so that's 28/1458. Factor out the 2, and you get 14/729, or a hair under 2%.

With Pro and Block:
1d: 1/12 +1/72 = 7/72 ~ 10%
2d: 1/72 +1/2592 = 1/72, really. That's about 1.4% or so.
3d: Whatever. About half the chance with Block alone (such an infinitesimal amount more that it's not worth calculating). Trusting the numbers above, it's a bit less than 1/400.

Block is definitely better for a Big Guy.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.
tenwit
Star Player
Star Player

Post by tenwit »

bouf, your table ignores the negatrait. Big guys have a smaller chance of turnover because some of the time, they're simply going to stand there.

You could almost say that Pro increases the risk of turnover. If you attempt a block with your big guy and fail the negatrait, there's a 0% chance of turnover. If you pro that, 50% of the time you can now block, and that means that there's a risk of turnover...

bouf
Friend of Bumblef**k

Post by bouf »

tenwit wrote:bouf, your table ignores the negatrait. Big guys have a smaller chance of turnover because some of the time, they're simply going to stand there.

You could almost say that Pro increases the risk of turnover. If you attempt a block with your big guy and fail the negatrait, there's a 0% chance of turnover. If you pro that, 50% of the time you can now block, and that means that there's a risk of turnover...
Alright... Now it's getting confusing... :?:

I simply don't have the brain power to contemplate all these permutations on the pitch. :P

Code: Select all

~~~~~~~~~~|1Dice |2Dice |3Dice |
No Skills |33.33%|11.11%| 3.70%|
With Block|16.67%| 2.78%| 0.46%|
With Pro  |27.77%| 6.20%| 1.99%|
With Both |10.00%| 1.40%| 0.00%|
[/quote]
But thanks Guys!

Or find me on YouTube!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
mattgslater
King of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

Oops. My numbers didn't factor in Bonehead.

I guess it takes one not to know one. Good luck.

Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

...and to conclude. If Nuffle hates the sight of you that day the stats won't be worth a trolls tit! :D

Oh-A-TOE-Ah! :smoking:

"In Dodge We Trust"
sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

anybody ever going to compute this so i can get a handy chanch calculator
I need an aplication on my phone so i can add a series of dicerolls and the machine gives me the propability.

sigh i feel lazy