DElf 1mil starting line up... its crazy but gooood

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

DElf 1mil starting line up... its crazy but gooood

Post by LJCA »

So, my time with the Chorfs is coming to an end shortly and im ready to get started on another team for our season 4 in late July / August.

I enjoy the bash style but who doesn't love a 2+ dodge right? So obviously im going with Dark Elves.

Now, ive looked up quite a few starting rosters for a typical 1mil line up and while theyre all solid and perfectly reasonable ive decided to go my own way...

2 Witch Elves
3 Blitzers
5 Linemen
1 Runner

1RR

Exactly 1 million.

Its risky I know, but I like it, having two WElves from the start giving me surf options on either flank aswell as their dodge skill sounds too good to miss out on until I can afford them, 3 Blitzers is solid, good movement aswell, the Runner is interesting as IF he levels up and goes with 'Leader' then that's a RR right there, take me to two which is what most DElf rosters go with, get an Apo after first game and we're off...

Sound easy right? :D

Reason: ''
LJCA
Experienced
Experienced

Re: DElf 1mil starting line up... its crazy but gooood

Post by LJCA »

The new GW DElf is in the pipeline but if im honest the models don't quite do it for me, so ive picked up a couple boxes of the GW Elf Union team and some paints too...

The 'New Naggarond Patriots' have begun! :D

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I do agree with your appreciation of the new Dark Elves by GW. I haven't seen the models in reality but I rate them as the least attractive ones.
I don't get the sea dragon scarf thing. Are only corsairs BB players? Do Dark Elves feel so superior that they wear stuff for their opponents to more easily tackle them?

Anyways, on the 1 TRR roster, I have seen it done with Wood Elves but it's not for me.
I would warn you that MA 6 linemen are really jus ONE GFI away from that ideal spot.

So yeah, it looks great on paper but I think that it can implode very quickly. Without a TRR your surf could backfire.
Also you have know 3 AV 7 players which you want to protect...

So yeah, I have recently switched from 4 Blitzers and one runner to 3 Blitzers and one witch start. And if you put your which on the centre line of the pitch you can reach both sidelines.
So I would advocate to start of with one blitzer more and only 1 with. By doing this, the Apoth becomes more certain after one match.

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Starting with one reroll is kind of a tournament trick, when you can take Leader on a runner and put that cash into more positionals. In a league, it's not enough.

You have three players with Block, what do you do with the rest of the team when they start a turn in tackle zones? Dodge around (1/6 chance of failure)? Run in some assists and block (1/9). One die blocks?
You're rarely going to see an opponent being so careless as to just run out a player to be surfed. Most crowdsurf opportunities look more like, dodge to run in an assist, blitz with the Witch, 2 dice, one die on the Frenzy block. Is there a chance to blitz the ball carrier with one die? 3+ dodge for one die? Oh look, the ball scattered into one tackle zone, do you try to pick it up? Dodge out?

My point is that starting Dark Elves, without many core skills and with no ball handling skills, need rerolls. 3 is ideal, but difficult to get on a 1M budget. Most popular starting builds have two.

On your lineup, when do you buy that second reroll for 100k? Obviously you're buying an apothecary first, with that many expensive positionals you have to protect your players. You're probably going to get the fourth Blitzer as soon as possible after that. So you need to earn 50k (apoth) + 100k (Blitzer) + 100k (Reroll) = 250k before you're even thinking about getting the second reroll. Maybe your Runner has Leader by then and you'll be okay, but that's at the price of other skills which would have made him a better player.

TL;DR: I think 1 RR isn't enough for a league Dark Elf team.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

LJCA - your roster may work, especially if you are experienced at tournament play (or similar), enabling you to play well with 1RR. Whether you succeed or not, you will learn heaps.

With 3 AV7 players lacking Block, you may find the team a bit exposed to damage (but at least you can protect them at the set piece while you have all 11 players on the pitch).

Scoring other than by running the ball in is risky without RRs, so take care when handing off or passing (position the team for pass or catch rolls to fail).

Don't be shy to take risks on defense, especially late in the turn. Pretend that you have RRs, lol.

It will be a while before you get another team RR (I guess your purchases will be Apoth, Blitzer, RR), so settle down and get used to 1RR. Yes, try and skill up the Runner ASAP for Leader. Followed by the WEs (I recommend Wrestle).

Have fun.

Smeborg the Fleshless
mattgslater
King of Comedy
Location: Far to the west, across the great desert, in the fabled Land of Comedy

Post by mattgslater »

I'm sure you can make it work. But I'd happily give up a runner and a witch for a re-roll and two linos. One Frenzy without Block is enough; two Frenzy without Block and only one re-roll is asking for trouble. And then there's the AV consideration too. So yeah, in building Dark Elves, I'd stick to the safe and boring unless I was convinced that I was the best coach on my schedule and wanted a challenge, and if that were the case I'd probably play around with an Assassin or something, just for giggles.

What is Nuffle's view? Through a window, two-by-three. He peers through snake eyes.
What is Nuffle's lawn? Inches, squares, and tackle zones: Reddened blades of grass.
What is Nuffle's tree? Risk its trunk, space the branches. Touchdowns are its fruit.