LRB 5 Guide to Starting Skills for All Teams

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Marlow
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Marlow »

Grumbledook wrote:must be LRB6 I have open then
thats what grab says in it
edit: my answer is from LRB5+experimental
Grab has not changed from LRB5 to LRB6x

Grab (Strength)
When making a Block or Blitz Action, Grab and Side Step will cancel each other out and the standard pushback rules apply.

Reason: ''
Ne cede melia, Marlow.
Trophies: MBBL Dungeon Bowl Season Nine; Boudica Bowl IV Stunty Cup
Leicester Blood Bowl League - http://www.leicesterbbleague.com/
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

wasn't me who suggested it had ;]

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Re: LRB 5 Guide to Starting Skills for All Teams

Post by Craigtw »

DDogwood wrote:Orc:
Linemen: Block, Tackle, Guard
Goblins: Side Step, Catch, Block
Throwers: Block, Accurate, Dodge
Black Orc Blockers: Block, Guard, Dodge
Blitzers: Guard, Mighty Blow, Dodge
Trolls: Guard, Stand Firm, Block
Orcs should take any stat increases, except Black Orc Blockers and Trolls should ignore +AG.
You nelected the Kick skill - this should be taken by the first available lineman.

I also disagree with the options for the orc thrower. I do not like to give my thrower block, as (if I am playing correctly) then my thrower should not be getting blocked, nor should I be relying on him to make the blocks. Two skills that were not mentioned were Fend and Kick-Off Return. For the thrower, my choices would be like this:\

Kick-Off Return, Accurate, Fend, Safe Throw Strong Arm, Dodge

Orcs rely on getting the ball tucked away into their cage as quickly as possible. With a well placed kick, the orcs can be left scrambling to do so, as the thrower as such a low movement. With Kick-Off Return you avert this problem. Also, I like to have the options to pass if needed, and so would rather go with the skills that can help in this regard.

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

I agree KoR is a good skill for Orc throwers.

Seems a little odd that you'd not take block - but would take Fend. Block works when hitting, and being hit. Fend only works when hit (and then only when pushed back).

I'd normally aim for two throwers - the passer (accurate, strong arm, safe throw) and the runner (block, fend, dodge).

Both benefit from KoR and either could take leader too. So there are plenty of good choices, all of which work better in some circumstances than others.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Decker_cky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Decker_cky »

KoR should be the #1 skill on your first thrower. Positioning is everything, and it gives you a jump start on positioning your cage.

darren woodward
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by darren woodward »

Decker_cky wrote:KoR should be the #1 skill on your first thrower. Positioning is everything, and it gives you a jump start on positioning your cage.
would that be the case with a Dwarf Runner too. KoR over Block as a first skill (i have another Runner with Block)

Thanks, d

I shall not buy another goddamn thing from THAT company
PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

I'd take Block on both Dwarf Runners and Orc Throwers before KOR.

And I'd give serious thought to:

Wrestle & Fend on Orc Linos.
Frenzy and Tackle (not together) on Orc Blitzers
Side Step as a double pick on Blitzers and BOBs.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

If you find yourself needing KOR badly enough that its better than block then I suggest you look carefully at your offensive setup and how it could be modified. KOR isnt a bad skill but it can be replaced by good positioning in a way that block cannot.

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
stormmaster1
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stormmaster1 »

SillySod wrote:If you find yourself needing KOR badly enough that its better than block then I suggest you look carefully at your offensive setup and how it could be modified. KOR isnt a bad skill but it can be replaced by good positioning in a way that block cannot.
got to disagree. A very deep kick makes it impossible to get the ball more than halfway to the LOS, even with the bast setups. kick off return helps.

darren woodward
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

stormmaster1 wrote:
SillySod wrote:If you find yourself needing KOR badly enough that its better than block then I suggest you look carefully at your offensive setup and how it could be modified. KOR isnt a bad skill but it can be replaced by good positioning in a way that block cannot.
got to disagree. A very deep kick makes it impossible to get the ball more than halfway to the LOS, even with the bast setups. kick off return helps.
i was caught out against a rookie Orc team (plus 3 skills - he chose kick for one of them) in a friendly at the wkd

He kicked deep in the corner and turned me over as i couldn't get enough bodies back

Could well be i need to think again about set up on offence

Thanks

PubBowler
Legend
Legend

Post by PubBowler »

stormmaster1 wrote: A very deep kick makes it impossible to get the ball more than halfway to the LOS, even with the bast setups. kick off return helps.
Why do you mention a point halfway to LOS?
And how many turns are you implying this is impossible in?

Seems pretty arbitrary to me, surely a more useful aim is to get the ball and keep the ball.

KOR helps.
But Block does too and you can't plan better to replace it.

Team Scotland Record:
EuroBowl 2009: 3-2-1

Gimmicks>Shennanigans>Everything Else
Cramy
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Cramy »

Block first, absolutely. Once you have the ball, you want to keep it. Sure Hands and Block means that it is very hard to get the ball off of you, which is key to Orcs and any other team that plays the cage.

KoR as a second skill is quite good.

Cramy
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

darren woodward wrote:He kicked deep in the corner and turned me over as i couldn't get enough bodies back
Maybe when facing Kick then you should commit less to the LOS...
Sure caging up deep in your own half isn't great - but when you've got 7~8 turns to score it isn't as bad as turning over.

You probably need ~4 players deep enough that your opponent can't get past them. I normally use throwers, line orcs and blitzers for this. That leaves the BOBs, Troll and remaining blitzers to pound the line and form a "channel" you can run the ball carrier up.

The channel is pretty important since you do normally need to move the ball a little quicker. So this is a TZ controlled lane you can run down that either your opponent needs to blitz to get inside e.g.

Code: Select all

LOS
____|__XXX__|____
____|_______|____
____|_X_X___|____
____|_______|____
____|_______|____
____|_X_X___|____
_X__|_______|____
_B__|_______|____
B = ball & ball carrier
X = other player.
That leaves 2 more to play on the LOS

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
darren woodward
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

ianwilliams wrote:
darren woodward wrote:He kicked deep in the corner and turned me over as i couldn't get enough bodies back
Maybe when facing Kick then you should commit less to the LOS...
Sure caging up deep in your own half isn't great - but when you've got 7~8 turns to score it isn't as bad as turning over.

You probably need ~4 players deep enough that your opponent can't get past them. I normally use throwers, line orcs and blitzers for this. That leaves the BOBs, Troll and remaining blitzers to pound the line and form a "channel" you can run the ball carrier up.

The channel is pretty important since you do normally need to move the ball a little quicker. So this is a TZ controlled lane you can run down that either your opponent needs to blitz to get inside e.g.

Code: Select all

LOS
____|__XXX__|____
____|_______|____
____|_X_X___|____
____|_______|____
____|_______|____
____|_X_X___|____
_X__|_______|____
_B__|_______|____
B = ball & ball carrier
X = other player.
That leaves 2 more to play on the LOS
Thanks Ian, i was using Dwarfs but the principle is still the same. Starting a drive deep in my own half is going to be tough the rate they move though.

D

Craigtw
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Craigtw »

Cramy wrote:Block first, absolutely. Once you have the ball, you want to keep it. Sure Hands and Block means that it is very hard to get the ball off of you, which is key to Orcs and any other team that plays the cage.

KoR as a second skill is quite good.

Have to dsagree with you on this one. Getting the ball into the cage has to be the first priority of the orcs. This means getting the ball and moving it forward ASAP. If you want your cage to begin anywhere near the LOS then you will want KOR as your first skill.

Like I said, the thrower is not really one to be blocked or do blocking. I would prefer to get the ball to a blitzer who has the block skill, the better armour (as he will be the target once he has the ball) and he has the better movement. All around a better choice.

Fend.... yeah, have to agree with you DS, wasn;t thinking that one through too clearly. I had just come off a game against a guy who's thrower had Fend and it was annoying. But Block would be the better choice over Fend.

Add me as a friend on Facebook: Spazz Fist
Add me as a friend on Xbox Live: Spazzfist