LRB 5 Guide to Starting Skills for All Teams

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Decker_cky
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Decker_cky »

Plus...chaos doesn't have too much of a problem with strength. There should be enough guard to combine with your horns, S4 players, and if you're so inclined, minotaur that you don't really need it.

Tentacles is good for a mino period. I would consider tentacles + guard as a two skill start, if only to give you three chances at doubles for block. Tentacles vs claw depends on your league. Lots of low strength players? Take tents. Lots of AV9? Claw. Balanced league? Ask yourself which type of team gives you the most trouble.

Scoring with warriors is good....but only to get them the skills to block. After the first 6-10 games, when you have 1-2 skills on all warriors, you don't need to score with them too much. A solid line is needed for a successful chaos team.

Here's some builds I see as important for beastmen (order of skills can be changed to suit your needs):

-Block/guard/whatever: Basic role beasts. If you aren't building a 'positional' beastman, go with this route.
-Leap/VLL/(wrestle+tackle or juggernaut+strip ball): Cage breaker. If you get a second, give him guard in there somewhere for a mobile guard.
-MB/Tackle/Block or Wrestle/Two heads/Piling on: Elf/stunty hunter
-Frenzy/Juggernaut: Take one of them sometime. Changes the way your opponents plan their turns.
-Extra arms/Sure hands/Block/etc...: Ball player. You need at least one of these early, and should have at least one more after you start developing a few other beastmen. The more extra arms you have, the more options you have.
-Block/Claw/MB/Piling on: Assassin. Probably only really need one of these if you protect him decently.

Doubles can be ignored by anyone aside from minos without stressing too much. The team doesn't really need them. Various roles will work better with various stats. I probably would take most any stat aside from +AG on a minotaur and +MV on a minotaur would be considered case by case.

Reason: ''
s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Grumble:
Hmm, have that been changed recently? I decidedly remember it the otherwayround.

Decker:

Why juggernaut + stripball?

As I understand it, strip ball works as long as the diceroll is a push, thus you dont need juggernaut to combat stand firm. I find juggernaut to get the best synnergi with frenzy. Seeing as strip ball works against Stand firm, that you will hit the ballcarrier so that if he got wrestle, that will be "negated too, i think id rather go with grab than juggernaut. Put that (de)fender right out of the cage. :)

zephard
Veteran
Veteran

Post by zephard »

Grab doesn't work on Blitzes.

If at first one doesn't succeed, and doesn't try again, then he will never succeed.
Arngrim
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Arngrim »

s031720 wrote:Grumble:
Hmm, have that been changed recently? I decidedly remember it the otherwayround.

Decker:

Why juggernaut + stripball?

As I understand it, strip ball works as long as the diceroll is a push, thus you dont need juggernaut to combat stand firm. I find juggernaut to get the best synnergi with frenzy. Seeing as strip ball works against Stand firm, that you will hit the ballcarrier so that if he got wrestle, that will be "negated too, i think id rather go with grab than juggernaut. Put that (de)fender right out of the cage. :)
I'm not sure what you mean by"that you will hit the ballcarrier so that if he got wrestle, that will be "negated too, i think id rather go with grab than juggernaut."

But the reason why Jugg is popular with StripBallers is:

"and he may
choose to treat a ‘Both Down’ result as if a ‘Pushed’ result has been
rolled instead."

So: with SBall+Jugg the ball comes loose on everything but a skull.
Did that answer your question?

darren woodward
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by darren woodward »

zephard wrote:Grab doesn't work on Blitzes.
Are you sure? why mention a Blitz in the text of the rule otherwise?

thanks, d

I shall not buy another goddamn thing from THAT company
Mad Jackal
Shaggy

Post by Mad Jackal »

darren woodward wrote:
zephard wrote:Grab doesn't work on Blitzes.
Are you sure? why mention a Blitz in the text of the rule otherwise?

thanks, d
I know it didn't. Then it did in experimental form. Now I honestly have no idea if it does or not, but one could certainly go look in the rulebook. (my brain is trying to tell me that the restriction is back in place but I have no idea atm.)

Impact! Miniatures Forum
Impact! Miniatures
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."

Icepelt is my Hero.
Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

dauntless horns was last combo ready in LRB4 was LRB5 when traits went that that combo was stopped

grab works on blitzes to counter sidestep only, you can't use it to shove players as you would on a block if the target doesn't have sidestep

Der_Doodle
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Der_Doodle »

Grumbledook wrote: grab works on blitzes to counter sidestep only, you can't use it to shove players as you would on a block if the target doesn't have sidestep
with LRB 5b Grab only works on Block Actions not on Blitz Actions

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

must be LRB6 I have open then

thats what grab says in it

edit: my answer is from LRB5+experimental

s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Arngrim:

Yes, if strip ball + juggernaut means that a both down result will lead to a push and a stripped ball.

But that would be a bit inconsistant.

At another thread it was confirmed that Strip Ball works on Stand Firm because it was the "result on the dice" that was important, not the result on the pitch as a consequence of that dice.

With this combo you seem to argue the otherway, its not the result on the dice thats is important, but the result on the pitch. Is this a confirmed interpretation of the rules?

Grumble:
Aha, that explains it. Ive been away for a while, didnt notice this change.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

juggernaut helps with stripball because it turns a both down into a pushback

stand firm has nothing to do with that

stripball always will strip on a pushback unless they have surehands, standfirm again is irrelevant for this, only if the player moves or not

s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Grumble:
I dont get it.

With Juggernaut you ROLL a both down and GET a pushback

Thus Strip Ball apply.

With Stripball vs Stand firm you ROLL a pushback and GET a "stand still".

Thus Strip Ball apply.

I find this inconsistant. What is it I dont understand?

AK_Dave
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AK_Dave »

Juggernaut changes the actual die roll result from "both down" to "pushed". Strip Ball works on a "pushed" die result. Juggernaut provides this.

Stand Firm does not change the die roll, but only the number of squares moved. Since the die roll result is not changed, Strip Ball still applies.

Bottom line: get Sure Hands to protect from Strip Ball. Or target the guy with Strip Ball for death and destruction by your mightiest dirtiest pilingest player(s).

The interaction with Juggernaut is exactly why Strip Ball is a "must have" skill for my Witch Elves, since they're the positional on a DE team most likely to get Juggernaut (due to its interaction with Frenzy).

This is what I'd list for DE skill progression:
Dark Elf:
Linemen: Dodge, Block or Wrestle, Fend or Side Step, Guard
Runners: Dodge, Nerves of Steel, Pass, Sure Hands, Diving Catch, Guard or Strong Arm
Assassins: Dodge, Block or Wrestle, Guard or Multiple Block
Blitzers: Dodge, Sidestep, Guard or Mighty Blow
Witch Elves: Block, Sidestep, Strip Ball, Juggernaut or Mighty Blow
Dark Elves should take any and all stat increases.

Grumbledook
Boy Band Member

Post by Grumbledook »

s031720 wrote:With Stripball vs Stand firm you ROLL a pushback and GET a "stand still".

Thus Strip Ball apply.?
this is wrong, you roll a push, you get a push, the player just doesn't move, stripball works

you don't GET a stand still as you put it

stripball and frenzy take what was on the dice as to if they succeed, juggernaut changes the result to a push if you so wish

s031720
Veteran
Veteran

Post by s031720 »

Dave answered my question. Thanks.

As for assassins: I like Blodge and Jump up. Makes them survive and stab again next turn when that first stab fails. Add side step to the mix and multiple block on doubels, and youve got an annoying assassin.

Grumble:
When I wrote GET i meant what happens on the pitch.