All about Dark Elves

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

juck101
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: All about Dark Elves

Post by juck101 »

Ahh I hate to sound smug but i'm liking 7 linos, 4 blitzers and 1 witch, probably 1 runner as a squad currently. Main reason i do it is too keep as many players that could roll doubles to get guard. Hopefully get about 4 by 2000 tv and enjoy life :)

Hmm I dont think I would want a single av7 guard. No without block or even both block and dodge he is not going to be able to depoly guard without taking hits. Hes so easy to remove from play I think its a liability so i probably would pass up the roll even considering you do need it :(

Maybe the question is more what double do I pick considering my team is (list team ie 10xblodge 3xtackle 2x pass ) and take the advice from there. I think you must have so much other stuff instead you need to point that out to get advice as in issolation you are asking for a player and could have dauntless on 11 men already for all we know. Im guessing lots of usual stuff so as its runner 2 I would just get a normal skill. Leader is ok if you have everythign covered

Reason: ''
...the pope said to his aid...
MKL
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by MKL »

Runejack wrote:So I've a 2,100k Dark Elf team that has only 1 guard player (...) I've just rolled double 4's on my backup runner who already has NoS.

Do I ignore the double to make a defensive/backup runner? (possibly dodge or pass?)

Do I take the double and go guard?
In a perpetual, open, league prolly I skip Guard and wait for a suitable player to roll a double.
In a scheduled league -or if playoff are looming- I will take Guard and use it for a few, glorious games (ie the Runner survive and skill up again or die in the line of duty).

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

This is my current league team:

#1 - Blitzer
#2 - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, Guard
#3 - Blitzer - +AG, +MA, Dodge, Guard
#4 - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, MB, Tackle
#5 - Runner - Dodge, Block, Pass, Leader, -MA
#6 - Lineelf
#7 - Lineelf - Guard
#8 - Witch - +AG, MB, Tackle, Block
#10 - Lineelf - Dodge, -MA
#11 - Lineelf - Wrestle, -MA
#12 - Lineelf - Block, Guard
#13 - Lineelf
#14 - Runner

All going pretty well, I think. The runner #5 taking leader was an error, and the second runner will be blodged up asap. Think I need more SS and fend. SS will go on Blitzer #2 next (MB or perhaps Grab on a double - at ST4 he'll be well placed to set up the surf for the Witch #7), and possibly on Blitzer #4 (thinking PO on a double). Witch #7 will almost certainly get leap (PO on doubles), and I'm thinking that Blitzer #3 should as well (no idea what I'd give him on doubles - possibly grab). The lineelves are heading for wrodge/fend/SS, with the guard ones going blodge/SS. The final blitzer I am hoping goes Dodge, SS, Diving Tackle, Pass Block, but I've had 3 #1s die so far before hitting 16SPP.

Thoughts?

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

Nice team, ss is tempting on blitzer 2 and 3, due to the blodge, guard and the witch due to a lot of side line time, but with AG5 leap is also really nice... difficult, but don't think either skill is bad.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

juck101 wrote:Ahh I hate to sound smug but i'm liking 7 linos, 4 blitzers and 1 witch, probably 1 runner as a squad currently. Main reason i do it is too keep as many players that could roll doubles to get guard. Hopefully get about 4 by 2000 tv and enjoy life :)

Hmm I dont think I would want a single av7 guard. No without block or even both block and dodge he is not going to be able to depoly guard without taking hits. Hes so easy to remove from play I think its a liability so i probably would pass up the roll even considering you do need it :(

Maybe the question is more what double do I pick considering my team is (list team ie 10xblodge 3xtackle 2x pass ) and take the advice from there. I think you must have so much other stuff instead you need to point that out to get advice as in issolation you are asking for a player and could have dauntless on 11 men already for all we know. Im guessing lots of usual stuff so as its runner 2 I would just get a normal skill. Leader is ok if you have everythign covered
4 blitzers - 1 x blodge; 1 x +ag, leap, stripball, guard, dodge, -2 Av; 1 x +Mv, +Ag, dodge; 1 x dodge, sidestep, tackle, diving tackle
2 witchelves - 1 x wrestle; 1 x block, sidestep, +ag, leap, -1 Av
2 runners - 1 x Block, NoS, Pass; 1 x NoS, Doubles roll
5 lineman - 1 rookie; 1 x block; 1 x wrestle, kick; 1 x +ag, leap wrestle; 1 x -2 Mv (and yes, he will get retired when I can afford it)

Do you take the guard?! I'm not taking strong arm as it doesn't suit the team. I think at this stage it is a toss up between guard, dodge, fend, accurate and catch. The league has a moderate amount of tackle in it.

Thank you for the advice!

Joel

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I also think that side-step works great with guard.

I believe Witches can always use Leap, with AG5, they even become better at it. You need leap to get the right angle at your blitzes to get them out of the pitch.

@Joel: I would take Guard, you really need it.

El_Jairo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by El_Jairo »

I thought, I better post my team here too, to get some comments on skill choices.

Here are my thought on development now:

N° Position Skills [Development] SPP left to skill
#1: Blitzer: Dodge, Side Step [Diving Tackle, Tackle] 3
#2: Blitzer: Dodge, Tackle [Side Step, Diving Tackle] 9
#3: Blitzer: Dodge, Strip Ball [Tackle, Wrestle] 15
#4: Blitzer: Dodge, +Ma, Niggle [Leap, Sprint] 13
#5: Witch Elf: Wrestle, Leap [Strip Ball, Side Step] 14
#6: Witch Elf: [Wrestle, Leap, Strip Ball, Side Step] 5
#7: Runner: Leader, Nerves of Steel [Dodge, Safe Throw] 12
[#8: Runner: NoS, Dodge, Safe Throw, Pass] 1st (if possible in cash)
[#11: Line Elf: Dodge, Block, Side Step] 3rd
#12: Line Elf: Guard, -Ma [Block, Dodge] 3
#13: Line Elf: Dodge [Side Step/Wrestle] 5
[#14: Line Elf: Side Step, Dodge, Block] 2nd
#15: Line Elf: Dodge, -Ag [Wrestle/Fend] 8
#16: Line Elf: Kick, Guard [Block, Dodge] 15

I think I will like NoS if you can use dump-off two times in a turn. Especially it also helps a lot for catching hand-offs, scattering balls and interceptions. I'm going for Safe throw to reduce interceptions. Since I can move next to the opponents D-line, I'm bound to have a lot of INT attempts (on Dump-Off too of course). This would combo also nice with leap receivers jumping over de D-line.
I did some math yesterday and on Dump-Off, Safe Throw could save me more passes than Pass skill would.

I'm pretty convinced my positional skills would work but maybe I need to get Pass Block in.
On my Line Elves I'm not yet convinced but first see if they survive long enough.

Megr1m
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Megr1m »

dode74 wrote:This is my current league team:

#1 - Blitzer
#2 - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, Guard
#3 - Blitzer - +AG, +MA, Dodge, Guard
#4 - Blitzer - +ST, Dodge, MB, Tackle
#5 - Runner - Dodge, Block, Pass, Leader, -MA
#6 - Lineelf
#7 - Lineelf - Guard
#8 - Witch - +AG, MB, Tackle, Block
#10 - Lineelf - Dodge, -MA
#11 - Lineelf - Wrestle, -MA
#12 - Lineelf - Block, Guard
#13 - Lineelf
#14 - Runner

All going pretty well, I think. The runner #5 taking leader was an error, and the second runner will be blodged up asap. Think I need more SS and fend. SS will go on Blitzer #2 next (MB or perhaps Grab on a double - at ST4 he'll be well placed to set up the surf for the Witch #7), and possibly on Blitzer #4 (thinking PO on a double). Witch #7 will almost certainly get leap (PO on doubles), and I'm thinking that Blitzer #3 should as well (no idea what I'd give him on doubles - possibly grab). The lineelves are heading for wrodge/fend/SS, with the guard ones going blodge/SS. The final blitzer I am hoping goes Dodge, SS, Diving Tackle, Pass Block, but I've had 3 #1s die so far before hitting 16SPP.

Thoughts?
If you're going to go with Pass Block, I highly recommend taking Catch on him as well. The combo elevates that Blitzer from 'somewhat threatening' to 'okay that guy has effectively shut out this side of the pitch'. The DE team I ran in SvS for a few seasons (before ragequitting in a huff =p) took a whole bunch of wins off of other hybrid or flair teams through PB/Catch.

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

El_Jairo wrote:I thought, I better post my team here too, to get some comments on skill choices.

Here are my thought on development now:

N° Position Skills [Development] SPP left to skill
#1: Blitzer: Dodge, Side Step [Diving Tackle, Tackle] 3
#2: Blitzer: Dodge, Tackle [Side Step, Diving Tackle] 9
#3: Blitzer: Dodge, Strip Ball [Tackle, Wrestle] 15
#4: Blitzer: Dodge, +Ma, Niggle [Leap, Sprint] 13
#5: Witch Elf: Wrestle, Leap [Strip Ball, Side Step] 14
#6: Witch Elf: [Wrestle, Leap, Strip Ball, Side Step] 5
#7: Runner: Leader, Nerves of Steel [Dodge, Safe Throw] 12
[#8: Runner: NoS, Dodge, Safe Throw, Pass] 1st (if possible in cash)
[#11: Line Elf: Dodge, Block, Side Step] 3rd
#12: Line Elf: Guard, -Ma [Block, Dodge] 3
#13: Line Elf: Dodge [Side Step/Wrestle] 5
[#14: Line Elf: Side Step, Dodge, Block] 2nd
#15: Line Elf: Dodge, -Ag [Wrestle/Fend] 8
#16: Line Elf: Kick, Guard [Block, Dodge] 15

I think I will like NoS if you can use dump-off two times in a turn. Especially it also helps a lot for catching hand-offs, scattering balls and interceptions. I'm going for Safe throw to reduce interceptions. Since I can move next to the opponents D-line, I'm bound to have a lot of INT attempts (on Dump-Off too of course). This would combo also nice with leap receivers jumping over de D-line.
I did some math yesterday and on Dump-Off, Safe Throw could save me more passes than Pass skill would.

I'm pretty convinced my positional skills would work but maybe I need to get Pass Block in.
On my Line Elves I'm not yet convinced but first see if they survive long enough.
I can't tell you how many times I've used my pass skill dumping off with my primary runner. I can't help but feel it should be an auto include by skill 2 (barring doubles -see above- :lol: )

pfooti
Experienced
Experienced

Post by pfooti »

Hi DE-fans.

Working on a team for my tabletop league. Let's see if I can post my roster...

Witch Elf 7 3 4 7 Dodge, Frenzy, Jump Up
Runner 7 3 4 7 Dodge, Dump-Off
Runner 7 3 4 7 Dump-Off
Blitzer 7 3 4 8 Block, Guard
Blitzer 7 3 4 8 Block
Blitzer 7 3 4 8 Block, Guard
Blitzer 7 3 4 8 Block, Dodge
Lineman 6 3 4 8
Lineman 6 3 4 8
Lineman 6 3 4 7
Lineman 6 3 4 8
+2TRR

The main issue I have is that my skilled runner (who already has dodge) just rolled a 5,5. I'm leaning strongly toward the +MA on him, but I could also see going with Strong Arm or Guard (it's a relatively bash-heavy league, but I already have two guards on the blitzers, who seem better-suited to guard duty).

Any advice here? I could skip the doubles and go with block, as that was the original plan for the skill2 on that guy. On the other hand, picking up accurate and pass later could be pretty beastly- a 2+ on most range passes means he'd be a deep ball threat. On the third hand, (the gripping one?) I wasn't particularly trying to create a passing offense on this team- I wanted to be scrappy and have a running game.

pFooti, Worst Coach Ever
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

The extra MA makes a big difference. I'd probably go with that, especially if you're bash-heavy. With that in mind guard is probably not so good on him at AV7. Strong arm would be very nice if you plan to skill a thrower-type, too, followed by pass and accurate, but you have to commit to that route.

dines
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dines »

El Jairo> 3 strip ball players is a waste of TV imo. I had one in my dark elf team and it rarely got much use...

Pfooti> Go for the MA, its really nice with a MA8 piece on dark elves, together with the frenzy from witches you can do one turn touchdowns with a bit of luck. Furthermore you need to pass less and shorter distances. Really cool with the two guard blitzers, go for dodge, ss with them.

FUMBBL nick: Metalsvinet
juck101

Post by juck101 »

Pfooti> Take ma. Then go Sure hands to run with and KOR or fend next if he gets that far.

Av7 guard sucks. My mate says the first rule of bloodbwol is hit the Guard, and that logic would make a runner a terrrible choice to hold it on an av8 team.

Dode I think your team looks good. In fact 4 guards overall is pretty sexy and you got a great side. I would wish for each blitzer to get dodge,ss,guard and one guy to get tackle. A second tackle on the witch covers you and your setup is like my ideal. So I would advise each blitzer to get ss on next skill rolls (execpt 1 who is dodge first)

I suppose the ag5 blitzer should get leap but I am more of a fan of 5 players in a row with blodge/ss than a leaper in issolation. Your witch get get leap and offer the threat so I might get ss instead of leap but it depends how much I thought the stats are wasted on the blitzer. And compare that to how often I just wish I had a wall of ssblodge. I think today ss and just have 1 ag5 leaper but im sure I could argue the other way also. Fend works well but I never ever got far enough down to see more than two so far.

Your runner with leader I kinda liked for the extra tv boost, but with a minus movement on a 4 skilled player I would be tempted to cut him. Im trying to learn a bit more about runners from better DE players but personally I think if you run the ball you dont need one. If you pass a lot and want an arial threat you need accurate. Im tending to not miss it at all with loads of my team currently not having any runners. I figure if you want a blodger then a lineman is cheaper and tougher which is a big deal. NOT having an obvious target is a strength I like about DE. I have not played enough games over 2k to decide if I missed the plan, so take that on board. Still your second runner could develop again and thats enough I think.

I used to play more arial and had an ag5 leap reciever but to be honest I find a small run and maybe a handoff when about 9 squares away is enough to score. In fact I score just as many 2 turners when forced, without any throwing skills so im frankly suspect of spending more team rating on it. My games have been more consitant and I have won more embracing the run - playaction short handoff than my prior more arial displays. This might also be because my lineup is solid as a rock defensivly. Im also guessing playing 7 linemen helps the chance of some guard doubles so its more impact ignoring runners and assassins and just bulking up on linemen. See the post above that would certainly be a guard lineman in my squad without hesitation.

The dark elf side is 128k minimum for 13 men and 3 rerolls with just 1we and 4bzs. I think you have to balance how many positionals to how much rating you want for skill development. Working back from 2k you only get normal 35 skill rolls with my roster and far less by the time you get some stats and chooses. Really this side needs consideration more than most

juck101

Post by juck101 »

yeah stripball is nice on one or two players tops. DE lack speed to threaten it at times. Its far more real with leap also. Leap is far more cool on ag5 so we are talking more a rarity than an must have I think.

Just my thoughts

klauser
Veteran
Veteran

Post by klauser »

re DE Runner:
I always skill my Runners (using only one at a time) along the same line: Dodge, Pass, Block, Accurate. I feel Pass is invaluabe to make those occasional two-turners less of a risk, and it has great synergy with Dump Off. Quick Passes (on 2+) are usually sufficient when coupled with a hand-off, and in a pinch you can also bank on the 8/9 chance of a Short Pass (3+) with the skill reroll. With the above skill track, you don't have to commit to passing or running. Also, at 31spp your Runner will be blodged up and ready to roll on defense too.